No announcement yet.

Oz Striker's Type S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the comments guys, the problem is he is a local cop in my area, and he told me if he sees me again he will pull me over to check that I have removed everything, and if I haven't I'll get a $500 fine and 3 demerits, and i don't want to undo all the work I've put into the car. I was planning on taking it off the road at some point, not as soon as this but these things happen. As Felix said at least I can turn it into a positive thing, I'm very passionate about racing and will enjoy not having to worry so much about the car being a daily as well as a track car

Comment

This is what i do not understand....
      ***VENT TIME***

Why do police feel the need to flex their egos at every young person who has the money, time and effort to mod their cars??
      Why is it that you are more likely to be targeted by the police for showing some individualism, and doing something that you love?

I think its all bullshit....
      If your dad was driving the car with the same mods, he probably wounld not have been defected.
      I dont understand how modifications to improve a cars handling, breaking and performance is such a crime......
      Fair enough if you were speeding or doing stupid stuff, but just driving a car to work....
      Im sure there are better things for the police to be doing..

***END VENT**

Comment

sucks man hope it all goes well, but at least you get to mod the shit out of your car now ! and you can actually keep it :P (some can't)
        1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
        1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
        2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
        F1 Nut

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy_B View Post
          This is what i do not understand....
          ***VENT TIME***

Why do police feel the need to flex their egos at every young person who has the money, time and effort to mod their cars??
          Why is it that you are more likely to be targeted by the police for showing some individualism, and doing something that you love?

I think its all bullshit....
          If your dad was driving the car with the same mods, he probably wounld not have been defected.
          I dont understand how modifications to improve a cars handling, breaking and performance is such a crime......
          Fair enough if you were speeding or doing stupid stuff, but just driving a car to work....
          Im sure there are better things for the police to be doing..

***END VENT**
          Sorry to hear that this happened Ryan. I hear where Timmy is coming from. I think the cops should really focus on real issues rather than these types of things.
          i-Vtec!!

Comment

Originally posted by blueys45 View Post
            Sorry to hear that this happened Ryan. I hear where Timmy is coming from. I think the cops should really focus on real issues rather than these types of things.
            Yeah its bloody stupid.

The thing is, on the RTA's website (now RMS & not sure if its had any changes) it says,
            "engine modification
            1. Original engine modified
            Modifications to the original engine are permitted provided the following conditions are met:
            �� Normal engine reconditioning within manufacturer’s limits is permitted;
            �� Modifications must not affect compliance with any emission or noise related ADRs;
            �� All emission control equipment must be retained and functional; (they mean O2 sensors)???
            �� If the modifications result in a substantial increase in power, then the adequacy of other components to
            carry the increased power (brake performance, vehicle controllability, suspension systems, etc) as well as
            the vehicle’s continued compliance with the applicable ADRs must be addressed."

In talking bout sussy i understand it to be...
            "Suspension
            Besides assuring a comfortable ride, a vehicle’s suspension system controls wheel movement for handling and road
            holding. Manufacturers conduct extensive test programs to develop suitable suspension settings. Adjustments, such
            as lowering the vehicle, can upset the suspension characteristics and cause unpredictable handling. Generally, roll
            stabilizer bars, axle locating rods, upgraded shock absorbers or upgraded springs may be used provided they are
            suitable for the vehicle and are properly fitted. However, the following suspension modifications are not acceptable:
            �� Welding forged components such as stub axles or control arms.
            �� Fitting longer, non-standard shackles to leaf springs.
            �� Fitting any additional components or altering the suspension so that the wheels or tyres may contact any
            component under the full range of suspension and steering travel.
            �� Fitting any additional components or altering the suspension ride height so that any part of the vehicle other
            than a wheel or tyre can contact the road in the event of a tyre deflation.
            If major changes to the suspension (such as substitution of a non standard front cross member) are carried out, they
            should be done under the strict guidance of an engineering signatory."

Please note: this is 2007, not sure if there has been any changes made

Comment

Really sorry to hear this happened to you Ryan.. It's unfortunate that you're unable to enjoy the car on the streets anymore, but at the same time I can't wait to see the future plans that you have for this soon to be track car! Hope all goes well mate
              Shak's S2000

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Timmy I completely see where your coming from, obviously the rules are there to deter the crowd that are likely to cause trouble or be unsafe in modified cars. But in saying that the majority and I mean about 95% of people causing trouble in my town are driving commodores and falcons, whether they are stock or modified, and they come with much more power from factory than my car has now, that's the main reason im a bit annoyed because im about to buy a ute that will have more go than the honda does! so I think that people like me that are responsible on the road should be left alone. But as I said I knew my car was defectable and I was lucky to drive so long without getting pulled up, and to be honest I half expected it at some stage. Can't wait to start stripping it down for the track now as I have always wanted to do it!

Comment

I know all your feels Ozzie!
                  I always felt I was immune to the long arm of the law in this town due to the endless supply of Commodores and Falcons on offer. Now they've got both of us!

When are we ripping out all your interior and putting in PolyCarb windows?

Comment

Originally posted by Red_EG4 View Post
                    I know all your feels Ozzie!
                    I always felt I was immune to the long arm of the law in this town due to the endless supply of Commodores and Falcons on offer. Now they've got both of us!

When are we ripping out all your interior and putting in PolyCarb windows?
                    Rodmaaaaan!!! People will be like "who the hell is Ozzie?" haha Yeah me too after driving around for about 8 months with the car that low! Worst thing is there arent any cars in our town with any decent stance anymore! Haha are you going to revert your car back to frush fitment again soon?

I've already ripped out the interior, didnt muck around haha have just left the dash, dad almost had a fit when he saw it! might look at doing those windows down the track Currently just have to find something to tow it with otherwise I won't be going to the track at all! Am looking at a few parts to assist at the track as well, hopefully can get them here before the next tampered day. You'll have to come over with me and the old man if you want to, it's a great day

Comment

Police in bendigo where OzStriker is from are usually okay but can be absolute F*ckheads at the same time...
                      I know your pain mate, we were doing work up there and i got hassled for a mudflap on my truck...
                      Keep your chin up bro
                      Track care ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
                        Police in bendigo where OzStriker is from are usually okay but can be absolute F*ckheads at the same time...
                        I know your pain mate, we were doing work up there and i got hassled for a mudflap on my truck...
                        Keep your chin up bro
                        Track care ftw!
                        Thanks man, yeah they pick on really trivial and insignificant things sometimes. looking forward to having a dedicated race car

One thing I think I forgot to mention is that he knew I had raced my car at Winton. Obviously the police car that turns up every time records number plates and keeps them on record. I'm wondering if that's why they haven't picked on me until recently when I started going to Winton. You'd think they would rather us do that than race on the street...

Comment

thats bullshit man, u go to the track to enjoy the mods instead of doing it illegally on the track and they go to the track to keep record...
                          Integra Type R
                          Integra Type S
                          S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                            thats bullshit man, u go to the track to enjoy the mods instead of doing it illegally on the track and they go to the track to keep record...
                            I feel ya mate, thought they would be happy we all make the effort to do it in a controlled environment instead of doing it in the CBD like all the falcodore owners do. They will obviously never understand us lol

Comment

Update

Well the car is well and truly off the road now, i handed in the plates to VIC Roads last week, and I'm currently in search of a new daily. Luckily Dad has offered the services of his ute to tow the DC5 so I'm free to buy whatever i want now which means i don't have to become part of the ute crowd! haha pretty confident ill be buying another Honda too!

After putting the BYP sticker on the windshield Dad goes to me "Built, tuned and driven? more like built tuned and f***ing looked at" haha

Anyway, knowing that i wont be driving the DC5 on a daily basis has motivated me to really start making it into a more track orientated car. I started straight away by stripping out all of the interior. As i said in my "for sale" thread if you need any interior parts let me know because if they don't sell ill probably have to chuck them out as we have little or no room for them!

Today we towed the car to our local Pedders workshop to get a more aggressive alignment with a lot more camber at the front and 0 toe on all wheels, Mick the guy that helps me out there used to race a very fast RX7 at Winton and he's give me a lot of advice on how to go about things, he's a great bloke and he even took the time to show me how to bleed brakes today. He suggested that next i should look into building a roll cage, for safety and also to stiffen up the body. Luckily Dad is a welder by trade and he said he'll build it for me, i just need to figure out the design of it first, so that's what I'm currently researching. Once i come up with a design i'll post it up and see what you guys think.

First time using a car trailer was interesting. It rained all day so driving it on wasn't easy! Looks awesome up there i reckon!

Have also been thinking about aero, and have been working on making up a front splitter out of a sheet of ply wood and some custom brackets Dad is going to make up once i get all the measurements right.

This piece of ply ended up being way too bowed so it got swapped for a better one but its still not perfect. I think the mounting points on the car will help to straighten it out a lot though so its not that big of an issue.

Also after removing everything out of the inside of the car, i jacked up the rear and noticed it was very light. The car does feel "taily" at times on the track and i think with the way it currently sits it will over-steer a lot and be quite a handful. So I've ordered one of these through Benson (very helpful as usual ) to keep the rear end in check and hopefully combined with the front splitter ill be getting a lot more down force.

Also ordered some solid shifter bushings from Strut King to firm up the play in the shifter. Only issue some people have with them is it can be a bit harder to get the car into reverse but this wont obviously matter much now as primarily i want to be going in the other direction! and as quick as possible! haha

Also want to upgrade the rear sway bar to a stiffer item. I'm keen on the Whiteline 24mm kit as it seems good value. Has anybody found it necessary to use a subframe brace on a DC5 when upgrading the RSB? There are ASR braces available but i'm not sure whether it's a necessity or will it just be a waste money?

Lastly, I just found the last photos i took of the car while it was still registered so i thought i'd post them up

And this is where he spends all his time now....

Anyway that's about it for now guys, hopefully can get everything done before the 6th of next month for the next day at Winton and lower the PB, can't wait!!!! Hope to see you guys there!

Comment

Nice update! Thanks for sharing. Very excited to see this progress into a track car!
                                ClubITR | Like

Comment

Working...
                                X