Oz Striker's Type S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oz Striker's Type S

Hi guys, i've been on the forum for a little while now and thought i'd introduce myself and my car! I've been a member on OzHonda for quite a while but i find the crowd on this forum a bit more mature. Anyway my names Ryan and i'm from Bendigo in central Victoria. I own a DC5 Type S, one of only two in my town! lol As you'd imagine the car scene up here mainly consists of Commodores and Falcons, and the attitude is that if it doesn't have at least 6 cylinders and 20" black/chrome rims then its shit....... ahh the ignorance lol However there are still a few of us repping the mighty H badge and the more the better i say. Anyway i thought i'd document my progress with my car by creating a diary of everything happening, i do tend to post quite a lot of pics so 56ers beware.

Alright so this is my second car, my first being an EK1 civic with a stock D16 motor and a few aesthetic mods, i learnt a lot from this car about making the right decisions when buying parts and mainly as the old saying goes, "doing it once, and doing it right". I know if i had of had my time again with the car i would have done things much differently, hindsight is a bitch lol anyway i wanted to start with a new chassis and do things right this time. Hers a quick pick of my old civic

First of all i wanted a more powerful car and i also wanted a car that handled well, i loved the shape of the DC5 and when i saw my Type S for sale with only 60,000kms on the clock i jumped on the opportunity and bought it. I left it stock for about 6 months and saved up some money while i decided what direction i wanted to go in with the car. Here is the car not long after i bought it, the photos were taken at the bottom of a mountain which has a great road running up one side and down the other and is not far from my house.

I made the mistake with my civic of not researching the right parts for me and consequently made mistakes like buying a set of wheels and tyres from Jax Quickfit for about $1300 without taking into consideration the width/offset, the weight or even the quality of the tyres, and unfortunately i was never completely happy with them So i have taken careful consideration with the parts for my DC5 and tried to buy quality parts. I started with a pair of OEM window visors which i'm loving, and also a spoon duracon gear knob. I quickly replaced it with a Skunk 2 billet shift knob (which i also had in my Civic) as i liked the heavier feel of it. I have since added some OEM Type R badges and also a front lip from a 06-07 Subaru Impreza. I found a few pics of some guys in the USA who had done it on their RSX's and i loved the look of it. I do however have a soft spot for the Mugen lip Kit and this may be something i look into for the future.

Getting to the serious stuff, lately i have collected a few parts that will improve the performance of the car. Pics below tell the story

I have just had the coilovers installed today and first impressions are very good, on the softest setting they feel very similar to stock, i will be tightening them up once i've run them in a bit and i'll see how they feel then. Also had the engine mounts and rear camber arms installed today as well. I have to say i don't know why people complain so much about them, there is a noticeable difference with cabin noise being a little bit louder/dronier but not enough to sook about! They make the car feel more raw and aggresive, definately a worthwhile mod. I also have an EP3R flywheel ready to match up to the new Exedy clutch and Wavetrac LSD and some Dunlop Dirrezza Z1 Star Specs in 235/40/17 to wrap around the Weds Sports. Hopefully i will be getting the parts for the drivetrain sorted out in the next few weeks. I want to run the coilovers on the stock wheels for a while and once i put the new wheels on ill drop the car a bit more too.

Anyway that's enough for now, feel free to post any opinions/suggestions/questions guys. Hopefully i will be able to make it down to some meets in Melbourne in the near future and meet some fellow members

Cheers Ryan

Looks awesome mate! Can't wait to see how this beauty looks now.

Comment

Looks great mate, been to Bendigo a few times to do abit of work up there!
      What coilovers are they buddy? Look likes OHLINS but i don't think they are :S
      What spring rates aswell?
      Nice LSD, not many people get that first up for there DC5S

Looks like you've done your homework!

Comment

I'm confused, your rims say 5x100?

Comment

Zeal function coilovers very exxy baller suspension! What spring rates did you ask for Ryan or are they the standard 12-12?

Nice choice in wedsports too keep up the nice work

p.s good to see you went with the Wavetrac
          Last edited by stevan; 11-02-12, 11:31 PM.

Comment

What a baller, some items there are quite pricey but your doing very well already. And yeah those rims do say 5x100! You've been sent out wrong stud pattern wheels. You need 5x114.3. Oh thats such a shame, I hope they didn't come from Japan, otherwise you're up for alot of troubles.

Comment

Welcome! Some quality mods right there! Shame about the 5x100 ... hope you get it sorted asap! It'll look real nice with 235/40/17 tyres and 17x9 +25 wheels. Lower it appropriately and it'll have a good blend between stance and practicality oh, if you lower the back to anywhere around 0.5-1 finger gap, it's going to rub the fenders, so best get a rear-guard roll while you're at it

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! Yes they are Zeal Function X coilovers. I decided to start with the 12K front and rear as that's what zeal recommend and if I find them too stiff/soft I can always change the springs in them. Don't stress about the wheels guys they are definitely 5x114.3, they have a sticker on them that says they've been inspected and that the stud pattern is actually 5x114.5. My heart was in my mouth when I saw the 5x100 stamp too lol

@ MYDC5R awesome man, chuck me a pm if your ever in town again

@ stevan yeh after seeing your review I was sold on it, it just seems like a logical mod to do for serious cornering. I will be looking to track the car at some stage so I saw it as a must have item. Thanks again for your help with it

@ggwpty yeh I will definitely be getting the guards rolled, once that's done the wheels will be going straight on. I'm mainly looking forward to seeing how these Dunlop's perform compared to my old tyres, I know a lot of you guys use them and love them so it should be good!

Comment

dammmmn Baller quality mods so quick! Good work bro!
                  S2000
                  WSID : TBA
                  Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
                  Smooth As Detailing
                  Incar Racing

Comment

I know some rays wheels also say 5x100 when their really 5x114.3. unsure of this?

great mods mate! cant wait to see it all one!
                    Integra Type R
                    Integra Type S
                    S2000

Comment

Very nice Ryan. Quality mods so far
                      ClubITR | Like

Comment

Will do Ryan, you wouldn't happen to live near the EDI Yard in Bendigo would ya ? (The V-Line Rail Depot near the station)

Comment

Looks good!! Awaiting review on coils

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Comment

Cheers guys, I'll review the coilovers properly once I've wound them up and given them a proper test

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
                            Will do Ryan, you wouldn't happen to live near the EDI Yard in Bendigo would ya ? (The V-Line Rail Depot near the station)
                            I live about 1km up the road from there so yeh not far away at all

Comment

Lol we did the redevelopment there... New Fuel station etc..

Comment

Working...
                              X