That Base DC5 {Timmy_B}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part 3:
    Having to tow the car once in the past and know how shitty i was getting with laying in dirt and rocks while trying to get my front bar off so i could make it up the trailer.

I wanted to have a quick release front bar. Something that I can use in conjunction with a splitter and taking the bar on and off with ease, but it also had to be strong and be able to HOLD the bar on. And also as I plan on towing it to the track from now on, it would make my life a lot easier.

Got these cool boot latches that I thought I could use to do the trick.

Drilling commenced and in no time at.....

Work extremely well.
    http://instagram.com/p/q5y-yASMxi/

Also just got bored.

Comment

nice man!!!
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

That's pretty smart for the dipstick, I find mind doesn't go in and sit snug inside due to my sump baffle.

Nice stuff Tim!
        Shak's S2000

Comment

Things are getting serous and looking good, the spring on the dipstick is a bit elaborate though, I'm sure duct tape would have sufficed
          02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
            Things are getting serous and looking good, the spring on the dipstick is a bit elaborate though, I'm sure duct tape would have sufficed
            I just get bored and thought its a cool and easy thing to do. Im sure duct tape would look like arse as well.
            Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
            That's pretty smart for the dipstick, I find mind doesn't go in and sit snug inside due to my sump baffle.
            Nice stuff Tim!
            Yeah do it. Spring from burnings and cut some aluminum bracket down to size. Cost was about $8.

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
            nice man!!!
            thanks mate

Comment

Tim, can you put up a DIY on spacing the fenders? Looks mint!

Comment

Part 4:

I picked up a Walbro fuel pump in April. Didn't really take many pics of putting it together.
                Was a bit of a pain to make sure it all fit, requires some cutting as well, and it was hard to get it back in the tank but its in and it works.
                Bumped up my fuel pressure a bit too.

Next thing to cross off the list was interior.
                Had a few good ideas about how It would look when im done. (I am currently still in the progress of finishing this, so I wont give too much away)

Just soooo keen to be able to drive it again. Its been 5 long months and I have more to do before its on the road again.

Stay tuned for some more updates soon.
                Last edited by Timmy_B; 01-08-14, 12:21 PM.

Comment

where too start?

Its been a HUGE effort to get things happening.
                  So the last update was really around May. So i am a few months behind.

It was time to update all my bushings, I looked at a few options and got some great info from Wholesale suspension about what I would need, and whats on the market to suit my application. With a lifetime warranty offered on all SuperPro bushings (even with track use) it was hard to pass up.. Plus the price was very appealing. Unfortunately the only issue was it was a 'made to order' kit. But I had time on my hands...

kit included Front LCA with caster increase bushings
                  Rear LCA, Rear camber, Rear trailing arm bushings

I also picked up some Hardrace RCA from JDMyard.

A mate of mine was always keen on my recaro's and loved how good of condition they were in. After a while he put the cards on the table... "if you would sell the recaro's, what would you get to replace it"
                  It got me thinking.... Well before too long I was taking the seats out and had sold them to him.
                  This really got me thinking about what seat I would replace it with. I got my old base model seats out of 'storage' (Luke's house) and had decided on buying just a drivers seat.
                  The Recaro Pole Position has always been a favorite of mine. I jumped on the phone and called Racer Industries. They were really helpful and asked what I was going to be using the seat for. The Recaro Profi was also suggested as a better option, however they had no stock and had a 2 month wait.
                  I looked at Brides as well but looking at the CAMS regulations and all the promotion of HANS, none of the Brides were compatible.
                  So i called John @ V-Sport Sydney and that weekend Luke and I headed to V-Sport to have a look at their range and look at two main seats, The Sparco Evo and Sparco Pro2000.
                  Due to my short arse and stubby build, the evo was way too tight, however they cold have ordered in an evo2 which is slightly bigger.
                  They also had a wait on the Pro2000. Then I sat in what I can only describe was 'HEAVEN'. The Sparco Circuit 2.
                  After discussing that it would be a bit 'wakerish' of a seat for street use, it was clear that this car isn't going to be a 'street car' for much longer.
                  The seat exceeded all my needed and was the safest option and would be compatible with HANS.
                  Turns out there was one on a shipping container on the way to Australia and I just bought it.

Thats all for tonight. More updates to come tomorrow.

Comment

Very nice Timmy, great to see the build thread slowly getting up to date
                    BNR34 Build [SOLD]
                    APB DC5R Build [SOLD]
                    Daily/Track Civic EG Build [SOLD]
                    NSEX

Comment

Awesome update, that's a serious seat!!! How long before you take the car off the road permanently?
                      02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

After the seat was mounted and I was comfortable, I got thinking about the rest of the interior. If my overall goal is to one day enter NSW time attack and hopefully WTAC I had to make sure that I comply with the regulations.
                        This means that clubsprint competitors need to retain door cards and original dash. Also a weight reduction of 5% of the tare weight is allowed.
                        I had already removed A/C, rear seats, airbags, passenger seat (for trackdays), speakers and radio. But one thing let to another and the carpet was removed, then....... 10kgs of dry ice later, all the sound deadening was removed.
                        Weighing in @ 15.5kgs just for sound deadening. The next day I started to wax and grease remove all the left over bits of crap. While sitting in the car looking at plastic c pillar columns and roof lining, something just happened, i started pulling it all out. I had filled the large box that my seat had arrived in and let me tell you, it was heavy.

Next on my list was brakes.
                        Now I tried for months to find the replacement wilwood pads I was after. I was previously using a BP-20 pad, so a 'street/trackday' pad. It was a decent pad but I wanted to go the best i could.
                        Wilwoods Polymatrix A compound is the best 'not for street use' pad available for my BBK.
                        No one in Aus was stocking them and I was finding it hard to get an answer for places in the USA. Finally I got notification from a place in Perth that Had the last ones in stock.
                        And it looks like I needed pads as well

I had front brakes sorted, Rears were always just going to be an upgrade in disk. simple, easy and cheap enough. RDA rears

So things were coming along really well, I was spending weekends pulling the car apart and getting shit done. One issue I knew I had to fix was my RSD coilovers rear bushing had to be replaced.
                        This was harder to organise than everything so far. No answer from Buddyclub UK, or USA, JDMyard could offer the whole lower shock assembly, and Hybrid Racing were trying to find a solution.
                        After talking to Alex about his experience with the replacement bushings he received, it felt like it was always going to be an issue. He had been through 2 sets already. Victor was also having the same issues with his EP3 N+ coilovers.
                        In the end Luke and I did some research and bounced ideas off each other, "lets just make our own".
                        I dont have many photo of the 'development' of the bushing, but it was machined to size and spec from the original buddyclub one. Its also a stronger and more durable than urethane.
                        Got some testing to do with them in the car, but so far it looks like a great option as a replacement.

I would say that the car has about 6months rego left. So I dont know what I will do when rego is due. But I guess It kind of is taken off the road. It never leaves the garage.
                        Last edited by Timmy_B; 01-10-14, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Loving this! I've just done the same to my DC2R...and it's red too! Cut out most of the redundant brackets with a spot weld drill and going to start pulling all the unused wiring next.

Airbags are already out but the wiring from that is still in.

The good thing is that the DC2R has no soundproofing! Except for a tiny little piece over the front wheel arch...why bother?

Comment

Next on my list was my CEL. Kmanager was telling me that 'O2 sensor' error.
                            I disabled the secondary O2 and still got the error.
                            On inspection of my primary O2, it was black and just look like it had enough. So instead of paying a few hundred for a replacement I just got a Innovate wideband.
                            Might as well use the a/c vents

With new bushings, coilovers re installed, quick release front bar, my Spoon header all fixed, Hardrace RCA, brakes wideband, stripped interior and my new seat plus months of hard work pulling the car apart on my hard garage floor. There was only one thing left to do
                            SHAKEDOWN!!!
                            With little over 2 weeks left to go till my practice day, the car had EVERYTHING ready to be put back together.
                            I spent many nights after work and the weekend putting it all back together. I got some colour match MR paint made up and sprayed the inside to make it look half decent.
                            After spending all week on the car it was finally off the jack stands and running.
                            I took it for a quick drive and bedded in the brakes. I had planned to get a wheel alignment done and do a few more runs in the car to get my confidence up again ready for my shakedown.

The next weekend came around quick and I had booked my car to be weighed at a weigh station to see just how much I had stripped out of it.
                            Got the car started no worries, and made it down the road before it cut all fuel. So I stopped and started again, same issue, anything over 2000rpm the ecu was cutting fuel. The wideband was showing what it was doing. I managed to limp it home and was devostated. My wife took me out for coffee as she could see the frustration I had with it. Really 6 days out for my shakedown and this happens.
                            All day Saturday was spent diagnosing the issue. I found moisture in the wire loom, and especially in the loom that runs to the TPS.
                            This was close to 6pm and I had a gut full, so I walked away from it and left it till the Sunday.

After closer inspection the moister was actually coming from my upper rad house. It was the slightest of drips, so i tightened it back up and Luke and I begun to re-wire the TPS.
                            This didn't fix the issue. The multimeter showed that the wires were good. So on to the TPS, the one i replaced when I did the K24 swap. 1400kms old.
                            The issue was another faulty TPS. bloody brittle things internally. held together with tiny wire and solder.
                            Sunday night was spent stressing and trying to find a solution.

Monday morning on the phone to Yonas trying to get a replacement and get it here ASAP.
                            So lucky he came to my rescue and I had a new TPS by the Tuesday.

Tuesday night was spent calibrating the TPS. It fixed the issue and the car was running again. Did a lap around the block and back in the garage.

By this stage I was a wreck. Just mentally and emotionally drained. I can't believe that 6 months of planning and aiming for this shakedown, working my arse off to get it completed, came so short for time. I didn't have any confidence in the car, and that not what you want 2 day away from testing. I was at the stage of calling it quits and waiting for the next trackday.

Comment

Good shit man, onwards and upwards

Comment

There there man, we've all had these problems with the car and it always seems to happen at the blurst of times.
                                I'm sure Fielding and I have a had a fair share of K24 woes between us for you to not feel alone.

If it makes you feel any better, my worst time was when my CMC blew on my birthday, with less than 12 hours before my first track day. That was depressing and stressing!

But glad to see that you've got support from your mates and your wife when it gets tough.
                                Just remember, you're up there with some of the fastest Honda's in Australia. Built by yourself

Comment

Working...
                                X