No announcement yet.

That Base DC5 {Timmy_B}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jason for the kind words. Really means alot.

The Thursday I finished work at 2pm and picked up the trailer, rushed around getting fuel and filling up the jerry can.
    Had time to wash the car and ended up at Lukes workshop at 5pm. Put the car up on the hoist and drained the oil and did brake fluid.
    Then time for a quick wheel alignment and some dinner.
    By the time we loaded the cars on the trailers and packed up it was 10pm. I was F**KED!

The next morning I was up at 3:45am and I the car by 4:10am.
    The nerves were setting in and I was stressing that I had forgotten something.
    We made the twin servos for a quick stop before going all the way to SMSP.
    My first time ever racing at SMSP, and I was super nervous.

On arrival @ Sydney Motorsport Park, there were cars everywhere.
    Was the biggest practice day off the year so far. Time attack cars doing testing, motorbikes all over the place and The last garage free, right up the end.
    After unloading the cars and attending drivers briefing, I decided to miss the first session of the day as I still had heaps to get done, plus all the time attack guys were put into our L2S session and it was madness.
    Session 2 came around quickly. They decided to put all the WTAC guys into their own session to keep us out of the way. LOL
    I really started to calm my nerves and was thinking "its just testing, got nothing to prove and no one to race. Just take it easy"
    Getting into the car I was extremely relaxed and comfortable. My first couple of laps were learning the new circuit and trying to make some open space between me and the large amount of traffic that was there.
    I got a good few laps in of just taking it real easy and checking to make sure the car felt good. The session was red flagged so I pitted and waited till the next session.

Just before session 3 started I noticed a small oil drip on the garage floor. There was some oil coming from the filter. Not a lot, but just enough to make me wonder if the filter was leaking.
    We wiped up the oil and I took the car out for 2 laps and pitted back in. There was no more leak. It looks like it was just left there from the night before when I did the oil change.
    Session 3 finished before I got a chance to get back out there.

Session 4 was just after lunch and there was a lot less traffic. I made sure I was the last car to leave pit lane and did a good 2 laps to warm up and then finally got a chance to really give the car a few laps of sprinting.
    First impressions were amazement and pure confidence. With all new bushings the car felt really responsive and solid. You point and it goes. It was a shame about my old tyres giving me a lack of grip when I really needed it but I had planned to go out on the Dunlop’s for one last track day. Just so I didn’t get over confident on a track I am unfamiliar with. Plus it was good to get some data and see how the car felt with 235/40s now I have made some improvements.
    I started to give the car more and more, once my brakes were up to temp I was absolutely blown away with its braking capabilities. I was out braking myself. I would make a braking marker (Usually the 100m) and wipe off all my speed then find myself getting off the brake then back on it. So my corner speed (plus my tyres contributing) was extremely slow entering in. Exit speed felt really good. 2nd gear was never 100% throttle as I was spinning the tyres.
    After another 2 laps I pitted in and ended the session. Checked some rotor temps, tyre temps and pressures.

Session 5. I left pit lane with the intentions off calling it a day after this session. I might as well go all out and really push the car to it limits so see what it can do, plus I was keen to see how ballsy I am into turn one.

First lap out I waited back for the traffic to get ahead. I had an R32 GTR and a Supra come up on me quick just before the straight, I let gave plenty of room for them both to get around me but the supra dropped back and we entered the main straight pretty much side by side.
    I thought, ‘now the best time to see how good the acceleration is”. I was pleasantly surprised with the comparison. (not sure on the mod list to the supra). All day I was getting a top of 200kms down the main straight and tapping the brake at the 200m marker and rolling to the 100M where I would brake and take turn 1 at about 145kms. With the Supra over taking at the 200M marker I looked down and saw the 210km/h. Then braking just before the 100m to take turn 1 at 150km/h.

Next lap was an absolute flyer, The car felt the quickest it has all day. I was really getting into it and thought that I might as well give it all I got.
    I could feel the back of the car getting a bit twitchy through the turns, but seemed to be controllable. Onto the main straight my exit speed was low, about 85km/h but I managed to crack 215km/h at the 150M and was hard on the brakes at the 100M and rolled into turn 1 at about 155km/h. Which felt slow.

The rest of the next lap felt very good, still not 100% use to how good the brakes could pull up I came into the back two turns at about 160km/h and was HARD! On the brakes, the front tyres locked up straight away as I went down into 3rd gear.
    It was a huge lockup. As I came on to the main straight, everytime I touched the brake it would lock up. I had cooked the tyres.

As I pitted in I had the biggest smile on my face. The car really out performed my expectations. And for just a shakedown and testing day It was clear there were a few things to improve but its all better from here on in.

To have spent close to 2 years from when I blew the K20A3, building the car to what it is today in my garage with some help from some mates and doing EVERYTHING as a DIY, I couldn’t be any happier.
    It didn’t fall apart and I had no major issues. I can’t wait for the next year of development as there is defiantly things to change and improve. Main thing being gearing and LSD plus more grip from wider tyres.

To all those that helped get me to where I am today and for the support in the last 2 years with the build. NSW Time Attack 2015 should be good.. Hopefully I can make it.
    Hybrid Racing 
    Yonas @ JDMyard
    Berty @ CarsForHope
    Felix ClubITR
    Carters Clutch and Break
    Luke for being such a great mate and helping out with everything
    And my wife for putting up with all this shit. LOL

I also got a little gift in the mail the Monday after SMSP.

Comment

epic read!

"Because in a split second, it's gone" ~Ayrton Senna

Comment

Wow great update Tim! Hope to see more track days for this car
        Instagram: @ictorv2 & @00zaku

Comment

Awesome update Tim, love the write up of the track time!
          1988 CRX
          1999 Integra Type R
          2020 Civic Type R

Comment

Thanks guys for taking the time to read these lengthy updates.
            I appreciate it.

Also am I so glad I did my quick release front bar. Best thing I did. The amount of times I took it on and off for the trailer and while at the track made it easy. 15seconds to take it off really saves some time.

Comment

As I've said before man u should be very proud of what u have done!!! Now order them ******* tyres lol

Comment

Wicked Tim, so so so good mate!

Comment

Nice what tyres r u gon get. I hear wethrril park tyres are doing buy 3 get foufth free/25% off..
                  Integra Type R
                  Integra Type S
                  S2000

Comment

looking at hankook RS3

Comment

Not many places stock those in NSW?
                      Instagram: @ictorv2 & @00zaku

Comment

Originally posted by stienerv2 View Post
                        Not many places stock those in NSW?
                        Only need to find 1 place that can get my sizes in...
                        *NEEDS TYRES SPONSORSHIP TO MAKE LIFE EASIER *

Comment

Awesome write-up Timmy! Inspirational.
                          ClubITR | Like

Comment

How wide are you going to go. Im going to go 235/45/17 all around on RS-3 or AD08R on my trackrims being 17x9/8
                            Integra Type R
                            Integra Type S
                            S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                              How wide are you going to go. Im going to go 235/45/17 all around on RS-3 or AD08R on my trackrims being 17x9/8
                              Looking at 255/40. front
                              May even be wider up front.

Comment

yeah would be good for u, but no point for me cos i got no power.
                                Integra Type R
                                Integra Type S
                                S2000

Comment

Working...
                                X