No announcement yet.

Brake Pads Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BRAND: Project Mu B-spec 0-500, dba 4000 slotted rotors.
    CAR: DC5R JDM Brembo
    APPLICATION: fast street so far
    PRICE: pads front and rear $500, rotors $370 fronts only
    VERDICT: 9/10

COMMENTS: first day with these tday, bedded in this morning and some mucking around this arvo in non etablished industrial estate, no brake fade, can really stand on the brakes with authority and it just keeps pulling u up hard. actually got them north of 460 degrees and still awesome. not as much dust as i expected either. very happy.
    Last edited by bigbadbeau; 27-08-10, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Added this thread to the Technical Index thread.
      ClubITR | Like

Comment

hey guys, just a noob question,

our audm dc5r uses AP1 and EP3 type of pads right?

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by R123 View Post
          hey guys, just a noob question,

our audm dc5r uses AP1 and EP3 type of pads right?

cheers
          Yep that is correct.

Comment

thanks chargeR

Comment

im looking for a replacement for my endless mx72 front pads. i have dixcel slotted front rotors.

my options so far:
              project mu hc+ or club racer 09
              endless mx72 or ccrg

dust, rotor wear isnt a big issue, for me as I will only be using this for the track and I think my rotors should be able to handle these pads. running braided lines, rbf600 and dunlop z1 tires.
              Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
              Flickr
              my car blog - Have a read
              my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

Comment

looking into buying:

Project Mu spec B's from RHDjapan.com for 188.50 (front)

should i be changing the rear pads also for my track day?
                Last edited by cordz; 16-08-11, 02:18 PM. Reason: saw post on top of page recommending spec B's
                Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

Originally posted by cordz View Post
                  looking into buying:

Project Mu spec B's from RHDjapan.com for 188.50 (front)

should i be changing the rear pads also for my track day?
                  I wouldn't bother with changing the rear pads as long as your existing pads have a good amount of material (> 50%) remaining. The rear pads will not wear a great deal, I have only gone through a couple of sets of rears in my Integra with many sets of front pads over the same period.

Comment

agree with ^^ abt rear pads for track days...

however, matching f/r pad compound can actually improve performance in competitive racing scenario...
                    ... retired/

Comment

details: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...formance.shtml
                      ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                        agree with ^^ abt rear pads for track days...

however, matching f/r pad compound can actually improve performance in competitive racing scenario...
                        Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                        I wouldn't bother with changing the rear pads as long as your existing pads have a good amount of material (> 50%) remaining. The rear pads will not wear a great deal, I have only gone through a couple of sets of rears in my Integra with many sets of front pads over the same period.
                        Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                        Great article, and going by it I think upgrading the front brake pads is a step in the right direction. It explains how one way to increase front brake bias iIs to have a higher co-efficient front pad. I feel my DC2r under sudden braking experiences great weight transfer due to its light rear end ( mine also has no boot lining, spare or jack.) In a few instances I have had the back lose grip and oversteer violently (broke traction) under such hard braking.

The article describes this as a rear baised braking system trait, where the weight moves off the rear axle to the front, making this weight lower than the braking force applied to its tire contact patch, locking them up. I'm pretty sure this is the scenario I'm experiencing with my cases of lift off oversteer and that by increasing my cars front braking bias will solve this.

Anybody agree or have thoughts?
                        Honda Nationals, September 9-10, get amongst it!

Comment

yeah, so the 'brake bias' is totally affected by the cars weight distribution too!

on a track spec DC2 with weight reduction you move it very far forward, but this gives it its fantastic 'rotational' ability.

personally, i love this and i can control it with my right foot - either when braking or accelerating...

but by changing the brake pads, you are not going to change how "lift off oversteer" occurs - are you? the only way to get on top of this is practice...

you must take the good with the bad, however, wheel alignment, suspension settings and tyre type can also play a part in the 'violence' that you have reported...
                          ... retired/

Comment

I'm with this guy ^, if you are experiencing oversteer then that points to problems elsewhere because if you are braking in a straight line and have a DC2R then the ABS will sort out any major traction loss problems. If you are braking mid corner then you can't really blame the brakes.

Comment

How often have you track guys changed your rear rotors? My rear pads still have quite a bit of meat left on them but I think my rear rotors are starting to get hairline cracks through them.

Comment

never replaced them.
                                ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                                X