No announcement yet.

Freakygeek's new ride - Project: NSX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painted my calipers and went for the machined letters look. Clearcoated in hightemp clear (not done for this pic). Pretty happy with the results!

| 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

So lately I have been working on the brake calipers - I rebuilt them with all new OEM seals and dust boots etc. This is a bit of a fiddly job, I got the hang of those damned piston dust boots by the time the last one was done but they really are a pest!

Some pics of the cleanup process and final result below. I used a high temp paint and also a high temp clearcoat to prevent the NSX lettering from rusting as I removed the paint from the lettering for a contrast look.

Baking the high temp clearcoat in the oven, lol... new meaning to "cooked my brakes"

Pistons cleaned up nicely - NA1 NSX use 36mm and 40mm pistons in the front calipers, with a 282mm rotor. NA2 NSX moved to a larger 298mm front rotor but reduced the piston sizes in the caliper. NA2 NSX-R used the larger rotor and large piston caliper, so this is an easy to perform upgrade, only the caliper brackets and rotors need to be changed.

Interestingly, the same pad is used in the DC2 Type R albeit with a single piston caliper.

I cleaned up the stainless steel pad locating clips also. Before...

After...

So with the slide pins re greased and new seals and boots reinstalled here is the finished result:

Got the first side of the rear all back together.

Hoping that tomorrow I can complete the job and actually bleed the brakes! I don't think I've ever looked forward to bleeding brakes so much before.

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Late last week I finished rebuilding my steering rack. The rack itself was still quite good so I just cleaned out the old grease and applied some new grease, replaced rack ends and tie rod ends and of course the dust boots.

Reinstalled yesterday with new ScienceofSpeed poly rack bushings.

The car steers and drives!

Refreshed my shifter mechanism with new bushings which had a small amount of play.

Windscreen should be going in this week sometime! Starting to feel like things are coming together.

Comment

Some panels started going on tonight

Not all adjusted yet so don't pick me too much about the gaps Still, I'm excited.

Comment

Looking good Cam, when's she booked in for a blue slip?

Sent from snoopnugs ringer
            using Tapatalk
            02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

So good.
              ClubITR | Like

Comment

It's so cool to see it slowly coming together, the NSX is such a good looking car

Comment

Dam.. just went through this whole thread! Epic work man, your attention to detail is impeccable not to mention the patience you have! No plans to build the motor while it was out? - Unless I missed you covering this question already!

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
                    Looking good Cam, when's she booked in for a blue slip?

Sent from snoopnugs ringer
                    using Tapatalk
                    I might get it booked in once I know it'll definitely pass Some interior parts I still need to sort.
                    Originally posted by felixR View Post
                    So good.
                    Thanks Felix!
                    Originally posted by Beatz View Post
                    It's so cool to see it slowly coming together, the NSX is such a good looking car
                    Cheers The more I have to do with it the more I appreciate how everything works together, it is a great car to work on.
                    Originally posted by ace167 View Post
                    Dam.. just went through this whole thread! Epic work man, your attention to detail is impeccable not to mention the patience you have! No plans to build the motor while it was out? - Unless I missed you covering this question already!
                    Thanks for checking out my build ace! I really appreciate your compliments Motor hasn't been out yet but I will be removing it eventually to do some work. After rego most likely.
                    Last edited by freakygeek; 07-05-15, 11:05 AM.

Comment

One of the smaller details I had to address was the black area on the rear quarter panel where it meets the engine hatch. We didn't paint this part at the time as it would have been a very fiddly masking job and risked causing imperfections in the finished product. So I decided to get it vinyl wrapped in gloss black.

Vinyl applied.

Rear quarter reinstalled

Very happy with the results.

Spent some time on alignment of the passenger door to the rear quarter and got it in place with the B pillar cover and side duct installed. Super happy with the panel fitment!

Oh and how could I forget - reassembled the mirrors! So happy with the results of the CF work done!

Last edited by freakygeek; 07-05-15, 11:55 AM.

Comment

CF goodness!
                        00' DC2 Honda Integra Type R | NH592P | DC2R
                        13' ZN6 Toyota 86 GT | D4S | CNN-66E
                        15' ZN6 Subaru WRX STI Premium | CBS | EBU-36R

Comment

10/10 Cam!
                          Amazing work keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is great, nice work. I like the solution with the vinyl wrap in place of paint, looks to have given you a very neat finish.

Comment

Still needs a cf NSX-R wing to match the mirrors

Comment

Here's the latest. Got both doors on now and aligned with the rear quarter panels & front fenders. Also got the bootlid / spoiler installed.

Put the passenger sideskirt on, but broke a clip in the process so I've ordered a bunch of new clips before I do the other side.

This is the bootlid & engine vent behind the hatch glass.

Tail lights in!

Wiring hardness secured including retrofit ABS harness, fuse & relay boxes mounted, radiator installed.

Honda must think opening the Passenger door is funny?

Comment

Working...
                                X