The CR-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eskimo_firefighter View Post
    Good progress dude, and nice welding machine you got there, mind if you make me a ghetto fab ear drum bursting loud exhaust for track days? :P
    Thanks mate, yeah once I have a bit of time on the TIG under my belt I'll be happy to put together an exhaust for you. I've been thinking about putting together a 2 1/4" side pipe for the Micra for practice...

Comment

Looks promising Tom, all you need is a hoist at home now aswell :P

Comment

After a bit of practice with the TIG I have successfully joined two bits of steel, though my stacks of dimes are pretty wonky.

I'm going to practice my plug welds during the week next week and then weld the mount bracket in the car and have a go at patching the cavernous holes that I have cut in the subframe of the CR-X.

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
        Looks promising Tom, all you need is a hoist at home now aswell :P
        If only I was in the same state as my hoist .

Comment

That's very cool.
          ClubITR | Like

Comment

good work man, hopefully see this thing on the track soon. sick of seeing you in group a!

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
              If only I was in the same state as my hoist .
              You have a hoist back home? Oh wow

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                That's very cool.
                It's okay, but I wouldn't trust it to hold up under any kind of use yet. Lots more practice required!

Originally posted by Duy View Post
                good work man, hopefully see this thing on the track soon. sick of seeing you in group a!
                Thanks boss, looking forward to getting back out in group E too! A is okay but I'm jealous watching the big boys in group E go around.

You have a hoist back home? Oh wow
                Yeah the chargeR family workshop has a hoist, it's no good to me here though .

Comment

Another text only update. I've put through my first of two orders to Summit Racing for all my fuel system parts and some other bits and bobs. In this order is:

Aeromotive 13159 fuel pressure regulator: I've got no idea who makes a good fuel pressure regulator, but Aeromotive have been around a while and this regulator has -6 inlets and outlets to suit the lines I'm using, isn't a fluoro colour, and has a two port + return arrangement so I can set up the fuel system the way I want.

AEM fuel rail: Went with this mostly because it is black and pretty cheap and AEM have been around a while, unlike some other companies that produce parts for K series swapped cars.

Aeroquip -6 fittings for the fuel lines (straight and 45°) Again black and reputed to be good quality.

Earls M14 x 1.5 to -6 adapter: With luck I should be able to use this to connect to the original hard line poking out of the firewall.

Aeroquip Startlite -6 hose Good for use with ethanol fuels, black and lighter than stainless braid. What's not to like.

Jiffy Tite quick disconnect plug and socket: I'm going to include a quick disconnect in the high pressure side of the fuel system to make it easy to drain the tank if I need to, or adjust the fuel level easily if I want less than a full tank in the car.

Also on its way is:
                  Hose cutters
                  -6 spanner
                  Aeromotive adapters to suit the -6 fuel lines

With any luck it all works as advertised, as you can see I mostly decided based on colour. I'll post up a rough diagram of how I'm going to lay out my fuel system soon.

I still have to order a fuel pump and a couple of things from Summit but I had to split it into two orders to avoid paying duties at customs. More updates soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post

Aeromotive 13159 fuel pressure regulator: I've got no idea who makes a good fuel pressure regulator, but Aeromotive have been around a while and this regulator has -6 inlets and outlets to suit the lines I'm using, isn't a fluoro colour, and has a two port + return arrangement so I can set up the fuel system the way I want.
                    mine has not skipped a beat in over 2 years

cant recall if it is the 13159 though?

i used Earls connections, but Aeroquip are just as good...
                    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                      mine has not skipped a beat in over 2 years

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...ystemparts.jpg

cant recall if it is the 13159 though?

i used Earls connections, but Aeroquip are just as good...
                      I think the 13159 is the same as yours (looks like the 13109) but it has a polished body instead of the red bit on top. Good to hear that yours is still going well! It looks like my fuel system is going to be pretty similar to yours except black because I'm very vain and it extends to my cars .

Comment

Fuel

Some of the fuel bits I ordered turned up today. Here are some pics to spice up your life. Firstly there's the 10 feet of Aeroquip -6 Startlite hose, it should be enough assuming I don't stuff up too many times assembling the lines. The fuel pressure regulator is in there too, I got the ricey polished one because I don't like technicolour engine bays. The Jiffy Tite (awesome name for a company I know) quick disconnect socket and plug are there too.

Here's the AEM fuel rail.

Got some tools to help with assembly. A set of hose cutters that look suspiciously like garden shears. A set of vice soft jaws that cost less than what I could buy some magnets for and stick them to a couple of bits of scrap alloy and a -6 spanner.

Finally here's all the fittings I got. Bottom left is a pile of -6 straight swivel ends. Next to that is the M14 x 1.5 to male -6 adapter that should bolt up to the stock hard line. Bottom right are some -6 O rings because I'm sure to need to replace lost ones.

In the top right of the picture are the O ring boss -6 to -6 taper fittings for the three ports on the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel rail. On the left are some 60° and 90° swivel ends for various spots to make the angles nicer and lastly is the -6 T piece in the middle for putting in the quick disconnect. Once it's all done and in the car I'll post up the complete parts list if anyone is interested. Note that it's not really a cheap way to go, but it should do the job and be reliable.

Also I've been practising with the TIG at work and deem myself well practised enough weld in the driver's side mount, so that's what I'll do at next opportunity. More parts will be ordered soon from Summit and OEMacuraparts, and one day I might even do some actual work on the car.
                        Last edited by ChargeR; 19-11-12, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Looking very promising once again
                          Best of luck with the mount mate!

Comment

So exciting.
                            ClubITR | Like

Comment

Nice stuff there Tom!

Comment

Looking very promising once again
                                Best of luck with the mount mate!
                                Originally posted by felixR View Post
                                So exciting.
                                Originally posted by Oz Striker View Post
                                Nice stuff there Tom!
                                Thanks for the encouragement guys. Still no time available in the next week or so for CR-X work, but when I do get something done I'll update.

Comment

Working...
                                X