No announcement yet.

The CR-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just about to post and ask if you had put your new welding skills to good use haha.

Are they the same material? The mount kinda looks like it's stainless.

Comment

Random question, still got the gearbox ?
      S2000
      WSID : TBA
      Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
      Smooth As Detailing
      Incar Racing

Comment

Originally posted by rookie View Post
        I was just about to post and ask if you had put your new welding skills to good use haha.

Are they the same material? The mount kinda looks like it's stainless.
        Well I've put them to use, it would be a stretch to call them skills or to call it good use. The bracket is definitely plain old steel, it's a bit rusty already, I'll just put it down to my inept welding and forget about it once it's smoothed with some filler and painted.

Originally posted by Flippit View Post
        Random question, still got the gearbox ?
        The CL9 box? Nope sorry, sold it ages ago. Still have the Y1 box out of the CR-X though haha.

Deadening CR-X

Today I decided to do a job I had been putting off for a while, removing the sound deadening material out of the car. After pulling out the interior I was surprised how much sound deadening there was. My plan of attack was as follows: Massive application of dry ice and then judicious application of mallet and scraper. I've used this method before with some success. Here's what 10kg of dry ice looks like in a CR-X (Note that 10kg is more than enough to do a car, but nothing exceeds like excess):

In the process. Beer near at hand.

Mostly done. There are a few unwilling pieces of the stuff lurking about each footwell that I'll have to attack with another method, but overall the process was relatively painless and successful.

With the hard work out of the way my assistants and I proceeded to scare the neighbours by blowing up bottles with all the excess dry ice. For reference the Nissan coolant bottle worked the best.

Here's the results of the days work. The box probably weighs about as much as the stuff that's still in the car so I'd call it 5kg even. A lot of effort but if every kilogram of weight reduction from here onward only cost me the same as this did I'd be pretty content.

Thanks to Mugsee and DCW for their assistance today and for the good times.

Comment

^^ Nice update

I actually ment the CRX box Know a guy interested!
          S2000
          WSID : TBA
          Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
          Smooth As Detailing
          Incar Racing

Comment

Great update

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post

At a glance, thought you were doing some huge drug deal.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie View Post
                At a glance, thought you were doing some huge drug deal.
                That happened later.

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
                Great update
                Thanks guy!

Originally posted by Flippit View Post
                ^^ Nice update

I actually ment the CRX box Know a guy interested!
                Thanks champ. Ah in that case drop me a PM, I did want to keep the swap complete but we might be able to work something out.

In other news I have ordered another batch of parts including:

- Aeromotive 340LPH fuel pump which should fit in the stock location
                - Some heat resistant sleeving for the fuel lines in the vicinity of the exhaust manifold. The proximity made me a bit uncomfortable.
                - An in-line radiator filler because the top of the radiator is not likely to be the highest point in the cooling system
                - A master cylinder. I went for the EP3 Civic Si item without the triangular damper section that commonly fails on the DC5.
                - A K and N filter and a velocity stack. I'll make my own intake once I figure out where to put the filter.
                - A set of ARP extended studs. The 15x10s will need around 8mm of spacer so longer wheels studs are an essential safety item
                - A 3-4 gear shift fork. Pretty sure this is what's broke in the gearbox I have, and it was cheap anyway.
                - All the overpriced Honda tools to rebuild the gearbox.

Comment

That happened later.
                  I knew you had to be getting all this money from somewhere other than your job.....

Comment

The final countdown. To paint.

On Friday another box from OEMacuraparts turned up at work. In there is a variety of things:

- Some 05-06 DC5 headlight brackets, not sure how they got there.
                    - An EP3 master cylinder
                    - 3 bolts for the half shaft
                    - A new fan switch. I could have elected to turn the fans on with K pro but I like the OEM system.
                    - Miscellaneous gearbox tools

I went for the EP3 master cylinder for the previously mentioned reason, the DC5 ones seem to break all the time, because of the odd triangular damper they have fitted. The EP3 part doesn't have this and as an added bonus this makes it much less bulky, so it should be easier to fit under the dash.

Yesterday I headed round to the workshop to do a few quick jobs. I test fitted the motor for the last time to check clearances, and as a result I'm going to take a tiny bit more material off the subframe near the header. All other clearances were good, it even seems like I welded the mount bracket in the right spot.

Finally I pulled out the rear suspension and sway bar to facilitate moving the shell. Next up I'll drop the fuel tank and remove the rest of the interior trim and handbrake parts. Then pull the engine back out again, patch up some holes in the engine bay and clean it up and it should be ready to head off to paint.

Comment

Nice updates Tom.

So first of al the 05-06 brackets.... are you considering a facelift for the front, or genuinely were they placed in there by accident?

THe Civic Si CMC, nice, what CSC would you be using Tom?
                      Integra Type R
                      Integra Type S
                      S2000

Comment

facelift for the dc5?
                        Shak's S2000

Comment

Sad thing is, OEMacuraparts no longer ship to Australia =/

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                            i believe they still do, u need to purchase items through email and paypal to them.
                            That's how i've done it previously when they wouldn't ship

Comment

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
                              i believe they still do, u need to purchase items through email and paypal to them.
                              That's how i've done it previously when they wouldn't ship
                              Originally posted by Norm View Post
                              Carl is right, you can only pay through Paypal with them these days but unless it's changed in the last 3 weeks they still ship here.

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
                              facelift for the dc5?
                              Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                              Nice updates Tom.

So first of al the 05-06 brackets.... are you considering a facelift for the front, or genuinely were they placed in there by accident?

THe Civic Si CMC, nice, what CSC would you be using Tom?
                              No facelift, they're actually for another ClubITR member . I've considered a facelift for a long time, but if I did it I'd keep all the old parts in case I felt like changing back.

I've got a new DC5 slave cylinder lying around somewhere that I'll be using. Interestingly I noticed when working on a friend's Type S that the US model slave cylinder is not the same as the Australian model, so DC5 owners don't order a slave cylinder from the US as the hard line doesn't line up. Not a problem for me as the clutch line will be braided line.

Comment

I've got a new DC5 slave cylinder lying around somewhere that I'll be using. Interestingly I noticed when working on a friend's Type S that the US model slave cylinder is not the same as the Australian model, so DC5 owners don't order a slave cylinder from the US as the hard line doesn't line up. Not a problem for me as the clutch line will be braided line.
                                So having said that if I was to order any aftermarket braided clutch line I'm safe to order a 05-06 RSX Type S slave cylinder?

And just for confirmation the Civic Si part number you ordered was;

46920-S5A-G06

Link
                                Integra Type R
                                Integra Type S
                                S2000

Comment

Working...
                                X