No announcement yet.

That Base DC5 {Timmy_B}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on cut bumpers Tim. See lots of cars on instagram with cut rear bumpers
    Last edited by Grant@Honed; 30-10-15, 07:20 PM.
    Honed - WEB: https://honeddevelopments.com/ FB: https://www.facebook.com/honeddevelopments

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy_B View Post
      Was going to do the EXE day in Nov but have taken on a huge project at work and am unable to take leave before xmas.

I was thinking of doing the 6th December but that is looking like the date we move house now.

So things are a little slow with the car but its ready to go when I have time. Maybe will be bringing it to the CITR bbq if I can park the trailer somewhere. LOL
      Haha! Great minds! I was thinking exactly the same on all the above, but will commited to CC in December...last one for the year!

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
        Keen to understand how the Gurney flap works to add further downforce without the same amount of added drag. I've seen this comment a few times on the web so I guess it works due to multiple track goers commenting the same things as Bryan mentioned, but keen to hear the theory behind it.

How much of a weighting would you guys consider aero in terms of dropping laptimes? IMO I think aero is last in terms of chasing quick lap times, tons and tons of seat time would be at the top of the table in terms of where to spend my money to go quicker, with other areas of spending before aero.
        Alex, read about the man, Gurney - just do a search on Gurney Flap - it's an interesting story. In short, a smaller wing with a gurney flap can create the same downforce with less drag. Bigger wings help of course, but that's also a question of how much power the car is putting out. I think a lot of guys go bigger wing before more power, rather than the other way around.

How important is aero is chasing lap times? Well...my car has done 1:10 around Wakefield (in it's current state). The aero has allowed me to gain enough courage to dip into the 12s and I know I can get touch 1:11 as I'm not pushing hard - no tank slappers, pretty calm driving, and knowing where I can get half a second. Bear in mind I'm running 205/45 16 AD08Rs and the good ol' B18 engine.

Aero has given me the confidence to just push through a few corners where the car would unweight itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Toddxxx View Post
          1. Seat time
          2. Suspension/braking/handling
          3. Power
          4. Aero

In saying that I got a wing straight away and a voltex front bar :P
          I thought that as well, but the MX5 example proved otherwise...you can go a lot faster with aero, without more power. And with that, you have lower running costs.

Comment

I assume the guy with the mx5 must be a very experienced driver to lap quick with just aero. I think aero goes hand in hand with heaps of seat time. Aero won't instantly make u faster. You need the experience to make the most out of an aero package
            Integra Type R
            Integra Type S
            S2000

Comment

He is reasonably experienced, and so are the other guys he's driving against...but it's the same with other mods. Aero is another part of the equation.

Comment

1. Seat time
                2. Suspension/braking/handling
                3. Power
                4. Aero

In saying that I got a wing straight away and a voltex front bar :P
                Absolutely

Originally posted by itsu-san View Post
                I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on cut bumpers Tim. See lots of cars on instagram with cut rear bumpers
                Not the biggest advantage IMO. The thinking behind it is that the rear bar acts as a parachute and catches air flow from under the car. If the rear bar sit lower than the under chassis it will catch the air. Cutting the rear bar above that line reduces this effect. Plus it can look good. Lol

Originally posted by Apu View Post
                Haha! Great minds! I was thinking exactly the same on all the above, but will commited to CC in December...last one for the year!
                Fingers crossed. Trying to move house 1 week later now

Alex, read about the man, Gurney - just do a search on Gurney Flap - it's an interesting story. In short, a smaller wing with a gurney flap can create the same downforce with less drag. Bigger wings help of course, but that's also a question of how much power the car is putting out. I think a lot of guys go bigger wing before more power, rather than the other way around.

How important is aero is chasing lap times? Well...my car has done 1:10 around Wakefield (in it's current state). The aero has allowed me to gain enough courage to dip into the 12s and I know I can get touch 1:11 as I'm not pushing hard - no tank slappers, pretty calm driving, and knowing where I can get half a second. Bear in mind I'm running 205/45 16 AD08Rs and the good ol' B18 engine.

Aero has given me the confidence to just push through a few corners where the car would unweight itself.
                The addition of a gurney flap in simple thinking is directing airflow upwards by the additiong of a simple angled lip. The angle is usually close to 90deg or very steep, thus flicking the air upwards and adding downforce. The reason it has limited drag effected is the level of attack that the blade is at remains the same or can be reduced to grant the same/or better stability/downforce. Therefore it is the same airflow hitting the wing. Its just the direction in which it travels after.

I assume the guy with the mx5 must be a very experienced driver to lap quick with just aero. I think aero goes hand in hand with heaps of seat time. Aero won't instantly make u faster. You need the experience to make the most out of an aero package
                Agree with you 100%. Seat time is key.
                As i have said previously, my confidence is down heaps on what it use to be... and you have seen how i use to drive. Maybe its a subconscious money thing. Knowing what happened years ago and the cost involved. Or maybe its lack of balls. And im the first to admit that. SMSP is a scary track. Heaps different from Wakefield. But i need to learn and be better at driving to be faster.
                Last edited by Timmy_B; 02-11-15, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Dear Mum and Dad,

I want a dog.
                  Integra Type R
                  Integra Type S
                  S2000

Comment

Dear Mum and Dad,

I want a dog.
                    Ahahahah, did you enjoy that one did you?

Comment

not too many things to update with.

Maybe some small changes to the front end.
                      Now with aerocatch and few tweaks on the splitter.

Also added some scat tubing to the air intake.
                      Additional earthing added to the engine as I was getting a voltage drop on the TPS. Its been calibrated and set to the correct voltage but still drops.
                      Hopefully this fixes the issue as previously I had an ECU CEL due to low voltage when cranking and additional earthing cables fixed this issue.

Off to SMSP on Sunday for RTDC South Circuit trackday.
                      Car is ready to go and will be good to see how this car goes.

Comment

Tummy...you need one of these, not that plank!

image.jpeg

Comment

He needs a normal oem bonnet stand.... Saves 100grAms in weight for the track but increase in inconvenience having to carry plank of wood around
                          Integra Type R
                          Integra Type S
                          S2000

Comment

Just cause you aren't racecar Alex :P

Want quick release latches/clips do you have on the front bar Tim?

Comment

Tummy...you need one of these, not that plank!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7581[/ATTACH]
                              Wood was easy lol. But yeah I need something

He needs a normal oem bonnet stand.... Saves 100grAms in weight for the track but increase in inconvenience having to carry plank of wood around
                              When I changed to RBC that stand was in the way. then i changed to tein struts, now its wood think of all that weight saved.

Just cause you aren't racecar Alex :P

Want quick release latches/clips do you have on the front bar Tim?
                              http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...p-spring-clips

There are a few different ones around.

Comment

RTDC SMSP south circuit

Goals: Set out to get into the 1:10s and continue to make a few adjustments to the car
                                Cons: South circuit being so tight and up hill, the 5 speed and lack of LSD was going to be my biggest setback

Last week I attended the RTDC trackday.
                                I entered the car twice, I would drive in 1 session and Alex would drive in another.
                                Unfortunately we were put in back to back sessions, meaning we had next to no cool down period before the car would hit the track again.

Session 1
                                I was late getting the car to the mock grid, after 3 laps I was able to get out there and do a warm up lap and half a flying lap.
                                The session was black flagged due to an evo hitting the wall at turn 5.

With half a lap in I managed a 1:14

Alex went out next for his session and managed a 1:10.9 with a few clean laps.

He said the car felt very planted but lacked grip.

Session 2
                                To give the car a rest, the race organiser put me in group 1 and left Alex in group 3.
                                The pressure was on to try and make a decent time out of the car.
                                The advantage being that group 1 was a smaller field of cars and everyone had a lot of experience and would spread out over the track.

The car went out last so I could get some clear track time to learn the south circuit and put the power down.

I ran a 1:09.8 and felt the car had heaps left in it.

Alex went quicker again with a 1:09.1 and suggested we make some changes.

Session 3
                                Before lunch broke we made changes to the front dampers to grant a little more grip out of turn 5 and uphill
                                I went out and pushed it hard.
                                Car felt amazing and I started to use mostly 3rd gear to stop loosing traction and tried to use the torque of the K24 to pull me along.
                                It seemed to work....
                                Running a 1:08.9

Alex was held up in traffic and didn't improve for the rest of the day

Session 4
                                Under brakes past corporate hill the car was a little unsettled.
                                I added more angle to the wing to stable to rear end and dropped the tyre pressure all round as the heat of the day started to take its toll on the tyres.
                                we were getting about 2 flying laps in before they were going off.

I went quicker again with a 1:08.00
                                The changed helped steady the car and I was comfortable to really start throwing the car to where it needed to go.

Session 5
                                The session before us had an S2000 blow his motor on turns 9 to 11.
                                I knew the car had a mid 1:07s as the day started to cool off but it wasn't going to happen.

I ran a 1:08.23 with oil on the race line.
                                Extremely pleased with that result.

REVIEW
                                Pretty happy with how the car is now set up.
                                There is seconds in the upgrade of gearbox to a 6 speed, final drive and LSD. Thats where I am loosing all my time.
                                Its been on the cards for a while but I have just had other things on.
                                On the hunt atm for a 6 speed box as I know its my downfall still being 5 speed.

Here is a quick video of some laps.
                                Note the use of 3rd gear to try and stop spinning the tyres.

Comment

Working...
                                X