No announcement yet.

How often do you use VTEC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VTEC is simply a mechanical advantage for a low capacity, fuel efficent, small sized Japanese engine, designed in the wake of the 1970's oil crisis...

primarily, VTEC is designed to produce more power for less displacement for a road car.

it is essentially 2 camshafts per camshaft.

anyone who says "i vtec everyday" is basically saying "i rev my car close to its redline" everyday.

I have owned the first car to come out with VTEC and in its stock form, with a 1595cc in a 1100kg car - I benefited greatly from using the VTEC system.

as my cars have progressed, and my engine building skills also progressed, the *need* to VTEC in everyday scenarios has diminished, and now I own an engine that has more power at 4000rpm as i had in my first car at 8200rpm.

so,

it is ALL RELATIVE - one man's VTEC is another mans shift point...

getting all "it is dangerous to VTEC" is boardering on hysteria and really seems pretty silly to me...

conversly, getting all "it is there so i must do it" is as similarly as silly...

Cam is right - time and place is the most important concept behind ANY spirited driving... regardless of whether it is combined with VTEC, or turbo boost, or a 5.7 lirtre 8 cylinder...
    ... retired/

Comment

Totally agree with the above
      BNR34 Build [SOLD]
      APB DC5R Build [SOLD]
      Daily/Track Civic EG Build [SOLD]
      NSEX

Comment

02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

i miss vtec

Comment

ive never said it was dangerous to vtec. its like telling someone with a turbocharged car to never get on full boost.

im saying it reflects poorly on ur maturity if you feel a need to thrash ur car around everyday and drive like a tosser on public roads.

Comment

Originally posted by Kin View Post
              ive never said it was dangerous to vtec. its like telling someone with a turbocharged car to never get on full boost.

im saying it reflects poorly on ur maturity if you feel a need to thrash ur car around everyday and drive like a tosser on public roads.
              but using VTEC ≠ drive like a tosser????
              ... retired/

Comment

take it and twist my words however you like.

if when you drive, you have to drive 90% of the time at 5k rpm to redline, then you are a tosser.

Comment

Originally posted by Kin View Post
                  TBH.. imo.. if you have a need to see VTEC on your daily drive everyday.. you need to grow up.
                  VTEC is designed to turn a small capacity engine to to something slightly more powerful.

using VTEC does not mean you are "thrashing your car", far from it - thrashing is a style, not a particular rev range...

in some cars - you can barely hear/feel VTEC doing its job - so if you say people who use VTEC every day are tossers, then really all i can say is that i disagree with you.

nearly everytime i drive the Jazz i use the VTEC, it is very helpful in helping me position the car in a safer place... generally away from other motorists...

so keep this thread on it's topic: "how often do you use VTEC" not "how much do you thrash your car"
                  ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by etherealfall View Post
                    i miss vtec
                    Me too pete, me too
                    BNR34 Build [SOLD]
                    APB DC5R Build [SOLD]
                    Daily/Track Civic EG Build [SOLD]
                    NSEX

Comment

atleast once a day

Comment

Vtec everyday lol https://vimeo.com/106096628

Comment

In the Legend, once in a blue moon..... J35A (to be honest, I use it so rarely, I don't know at what revs it kicks in)

In the HR-V, once or twice a day when I need to get ahead of the crowd.... B18C7 (5.7 - 8.4k)

In the EG, a lot! B18C2 (4.5 - 8.8K)

I agree to drive in VTEC all the time is madness, but the EG has a 4.7 final drive, so it gets into VTEC quickly and often. And the power band is much wider than in the HR-V.

Comment

....not since Nov.2012

Comment

1 vtec plz

Comment

Working...
                              X