WSID : TBA
    Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
    Smooth As Detailing
    Incar Racing

Comment

I dont use VTEC if the petrol is down to 1/4... preserving LOL

Comment

meh, for street driving, even driving moderalty hard, i enver really hit 5500 rpm.. highest I ever rev my car to is like 4? 4.5k rpm

I think im just too scared to rev too much and bee heard by the popo
        Integra Type R
        Integra Type S
        S2000

Comment

I usually stay out of vtec for the first 15 minutes of actual driving, that's not including the 5minutes I let the car to warm up on idle, I know it's most likely abit excessive but I feel more comfortable and safer that way.

Comment

Originally posted by khanguskhan View Post
            that's not including the 5minutes I let the car to warm up on idle, I know it's most likely abit excessive but I feel more comfortable and safer that way.
            this is the ABSOLUTE worst thing you can do to a car...

you should not "let a car warm up on idle"

this ONLY warms some parts of the engine, and ignores many other parts of the system...

plus it runs way too rich, potentially washing out the piston rings and contaminating your oil with damaging fuel...

(it also is much worse for the environment, but that is another aspect.)

a car should "warm up" all of its parts at the same time:

the CV joint grease,
            the gearbox oil,
            the engine oil,
            the coolant,
            the valves and camshafts,
            the crankshaft
            the gear set etc etc...

just by sitting a car and idling it in your driveway/garage - you are only focussing on the coolant gauge in your dash,

with no sympathy for ALL of the other components of your engine/drivetrain that need to be 'warm' to be operating 'safely'...

i consider my car is 'warm' when the oil pressure drops to below 25 psi at idle...
            ... retired/

Comment

whoops, i'd better state that the best way to 'get a car up to temperature' is by driving it normally...
              ... retired/

Comment

Ohh never knew about any of that, thanks tinkerbell,
                I'm just used to the habit of giving warm up time then driving it softly for awhile since it's an older car, will keep this info in mind.

Comment

surprisingly large numbers of people don't realise this,

or are under the impression modern EFI cars need to warm up like their parents old cars that ran on carburettors...
                  ... retired/

Comment

Sitting idle as tinkerbell mentioned only warms up some of the cars components. Sitting there means gearbox oil is dead cold when you get moving, which isn't a smart idea!
                    Wakefield: EG B18CR - R888 - 1.09.9
                    Eastern Creek: DC5R - RE001/ER300 - 2.00.8
                    Winton: DC5R - RE001 - 1.45.9

Comment

I find that the car reacts better to me after slight warming period, and I still drive it softly for the rest of the components to catch up

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                        whoops, i'd better state that the best way to 'get a car up to temperature' is by driving it normally...
                        Honda Integra DC2R natural aspired K20A

2010 CAMS Supersprint (NSW) Type 3B champion |EC: 1:46.9280|WP: 1:07.694|Winton: 1:38.614

Comment

Originally posted by khanguskhan View Post
                          I find that the car reacts better to me after slight warming period, and I still drive it softly for the rest of the components to catch up
                          driving 'softly' is still redundant.

just drive normally.

srsly.
                          ... retired/

Comment

Hit vtec everyday since i had the car love the sound.. its soo addictive!

Comment

iv noticed with my wrx to not use turbo kick under cold engine, im new and havnt bought my dc5r yet, but should you steer clear of vtec on warmup? ie morning
                              1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
                              1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
                              2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
                              F1 Nut

Comment

Originally posted by dnapol View Post
                                iv noticed with my wrx to not use turbo kick under cold engine, im new and havnt bought my dc5r yet, but should you steer clear of vtec on warmup? ie morning
                                the car wont allow you to engage vtec until the engine oil is under operating temperature which is about 5mins of regular driving warmup.

Comment

Working...
                                X