No announcement yet.

Norm - Perth DC5R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Tom, haven't got any track days booked yet. But will hopefully be taking it to a tuning day once the drivetrain mods are in. From the mods, i'm definitely setting it up for the odd track day, but nothing too serious. Just a few more things to do to it and we'll get there. I'm about to go have a nap, so please excuse the typo. Got a 14hr night shift in like 4 hours WA time.

Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 11-01-12, 03:01 PM.

Comment

14 hours? What do you do?

Hey random question.. are there a lot of Type Rs on the west coast Norm?
      ClubITR | Like

Comment

You are my inspiration Norm! I will forever look up to you sir !!
        Shak's S2000

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
          14 hours? What do you do?

Hey random question.. are there a lot of Type Rs on the west coast Norm?

I'm a paramedic by trade. There are fair amount of type R's eh. Scattered and not usually grouped together. A few well modded ones as well. Its a mission to gather all of them at once because WA is so large.

Originally posted by Shakeel View Post
          You are my inspiration Norm! I will forever look up to you sir !!
          Thanks! Just trying to make the DC5R one of a kind.

Norm

Comment

That spark plug cover is my favorite out of all the ones u can get. I really like it!

I also noticed u have CF, or u CF wrapped ur door mouldings to continue the flow of the mirrors!
            Integra Type R
            Integra Type S
            S2000

Comment

Yeh I CF wrapped it with some vinyl. Cheap stuff off ebay. I tried taking them off and repainting it. But didn't work out too well. So it will have to hold until I decide to buy new molds from USA.

Norm

Comment

lol, k-tuned coil pack cover as well,
                so the k-tuned writing is lazer cut right through?
                02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

That is correct. Quite nice finish. It was either that or the mugen CF cover....but the price of $450 was not attractive.

Comment

yeah mugen would me my first choice to but just can't bring myself to pay that much for such a small piece of cf either
                    02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Stage 3 Mods arrival
                      • JDM 05 06 Tailights Part Number - 33501-S6M-A51 LAMP UNIT, R. TAIL and 33551-S6M-A51 LAMP UNIT, L. TAIL tick

A DIY thread of installation can be found

Same one, but essential if one link fails the other is up still. Do notice that USDM taillights are different from JDM taillights, in that JDM taillights have two silver lights as to two red circles. So keep it in mind if you decide to order from US .

Meantime, car is booked in on the 24th with Tony Flood to get the following installed:
                      • Exedy clutch + flywheel
                      • Spoon FD 5.1
                      • Spoon Rigid Collars
                      • Synchrotech carbon synchros 1-6
                      • Motul FF LSD Gear Oil (We're gonna try it out)

Norm

Comment

nice work Norm!

i personally reckon head and tail lights will be the hardest to source. BTW check ur PM.
                        Integra Type R
                        Integra Type S
                        S2000

Comment

I have only briefly driven the car since picking it up from Tony Flood (Mechanic). His a great honest guy and I can't sing his praises enough. He will be working on my car in the near future in terms of engine builds etc, and plus his only 5 minute drive from my house. Courtesy to also lukits01 for helping me take some extra pictures of the parts before they got installed. Too bad I didn't get a chance to take a picture of the car when on the hoist and with the transmission box out.

Total cost of installation came up to $1125. This is to give people an idea if they decide to go ahead with this sort of build, and provide you with a baseline qoute. This included the fitment of following:
                          • Clutch + Flywheel
                          • Final Drive
                          • Synchro replacement
                          • Rigid Collar fitment
                          • Sealant
                          • Solvents
                          • 2 x Motul FF 75W140 gearbox oil
                          • Labour $990

My car has just touched 84,000km's and the stock clutch has had a very good life according to Tony. Once I pick up the parts I will take some pictures to show how worn the synchro and clutch is from 84,000km's of driving.

Quick review
                          Spoon 5.062 Final Drive
                          The final drive is the last gear found before the driven wheels. Depending on its ratio, it determines the number of times the driveshaft must turn before the axle shaft turns once. Using different final gear ratios will achieve different benefits i.e. Increasing the ratio will increase acceleration but will lower the top end speed and vice versa.

The standard DC5 final drive is 4.764, which means the transmission output shaft, after going through the selected gear ratio, turns 4.764 times for every time the wheels go around. As mentioned above, if you increase the ratio you gain acceleration but sacrifice top speed. I had chosen to go for a 5.062 final gear ratio more commonly referred to as a 5.1 final drive.

Essentially this would give a 6.255% difference in ratio from OEM. If I take my estimated torque at the fly which is at 178.6 ft/lb and combine it with the 5.1 FD, I would need an equivalent 189.7 ft/lb of torque with the standard FD to accelerate at the same rate.

The revs are noticably higher by +-500rpm than before. Previously on 6th gear @ 100km/h was on 3000rpm. Now with the same gear and speed, the revs have increased to 3200-3400rpm. It is actually more benefitial to me, one that is because before the 5.062 FD, I was maintaining 3000rpm and the noise from the engine bay was abit droning. But it revving at 3200rpm+, the pitch is less droning and more comfortable to stay at. So in my instance it has benefited me. Some people might hate it for the motorway drives due to the high RPM cruising. But for me, I'm enjoying it. Especially when it accelerates like an animal through the whole RPM band.

Taken directly from http://dc5life.blogspot.com. All credit goes to Justin for writing that up. Saves me from doing it

Spoon Rigid collars

Example from a different vehicle on where and how their mounted.

The car feels noticable "stiffer". I can feel like my coilovers are absorbing alot of the road bumps, and the sound is more evident from my coilovers with the gushing sound of oil. This tells me there is less movement of the sub-frame and better cushioning by the coilovers. So how do they work? The Rigid Collars will wipe out spring effect, by giving the mounting bolt an even surface to bite into to. The collars are constructed out of special aluminium and tapered, and went fitted and torqued up, the metal spreads to form an even surface and contact face for the panels to mount on. Making the bolt hole a perfect fit!

You can view the application of rigid collars here.

Synchrotech Carbon synchros 1-6th gear

The gears are coming out like butter. I'm not just saying this because I dont want to fualt them. Its true. However I have only driven it briefly and I can't comment untill i've fully tested them. The down shift into second gear is smoother but there is still slight resistance but compared to the OEM, there is definitely reduced resistance. Also I have changed my gearbox oil to Motul FF 75W140, which takes awhile to heat up, but once heated works a treat! Will review on that gearbox oil more once we hit track, but from a friend who uses it on his DC5R, he says it out performs the Honda MTF.

Exedy Organic clutch and exedy lightened flywheel

Last but not least, the clutch feels like its got more bounce to it. However a few people on this forum have used this clutch and once worn in, has stated it feels like OEM. But there is a noticable bounce back on it when its newly installed. Not hard to get used to when you first drive it. I will consider getting something abit more durable in the future when I start concentrating on more power. The flywheel is abit hard to comment due to the shortened Spoon 5.1 FD. I'll let you all know how it feels on hill climb when the time comes! However in saying all of the above, the shortened 2nd is savage and I absolutely love it!

A short clip will follow in a week or two.

Norm
                          Last edited by Norm; 03-02-12, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Want rigid collars.. and nice update!

Have you done a wheel alignment yet?
                            ClubITR | Like

Comment

No not yet. Thats why i have only briefly driven it. Will go to this place RacingInJapan recommened. Yes it is important to get it done especially when the subframe is dropped.

Norm

Comment

A bunch of goodies were waiting for me when I got back from work. I wonder what type of outfit we'll dress her with though?...

These guys were very good to deal with. Fast response and shipment! Also cheap genuine Made In Japan parts

Norm
                                Last edited by Norm; 01-02-12, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X