No announcement yet.

That Base DC5 {Timmy_B}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds good mate look forward to it ! Miss all you guys, career mode fail ....

Comment

Time for some more pics i guess.

so a few weeks ago I stared to pull the old K24 oil pump and sump off.
      Timing chain cover also came off so i could install the Hybrid Racing tensioner and Honda 50deg VTC.

Got to the K20 oil pump and was thinking "please dont mess this up".
      I had a look a a few DIY online and some of the people cutting the oil pumps to fit the K24 block looked a bit shit.

Started to cut into and took my time

After cutting and grinding down bit by bit and test fitting to make sure it was all going to plan, it started to look alright

Fits like it should. Turned out really good.

I had never attempted or done anything close to this sort of engine work before. So there were a few days were I though i was in over my head.
      But it has been a massive learning experiance and I glad I could do th work myself and with some good mates on the weekends.

My other worry was this MFactory oil cooler. I had played around with the hoses and tried to figure out how to mount the relocator.
      After many hours of finding a way to run all the hoses in a way that will fit and also not get in the way of the serpentine belt, shifer cables and wiring loom. In the end I found the best possible way to run it. Sneeky little holes come in handy.

With enough room to get the line down next to the radiator and then travel down to the crank pulley, then to the block, from block under the header (away from the header as much as i could) up over the rear mount, onto the oem brace and then over the gearbox side mount and into the filter adaptor, to the hole shown in the photo (where battery use to be), over the Injen washer bottle and out the front into the cooler.

Once I was happy with it all, it was time to get the engine bay looking clean. With the acid from the old battery making a mess of the frame I had to do something to fix it.
      Didnt want the little HAMP filter and adaptor drawing peoples attention to a paint striped bay.

Just gave it one coat.

YES!

Once i got my hands on a little seal that sits in the timing chain cover, it was time to put the chains back on and time the motor up.
      With everything back on and hondabond'd on, It was time to put the thing in..

Biggest issue I was going to face was if the spoon headers would fit.
      after Yonas sending me some detailed pics and discussing if it would fit or not he told me just to try it and if they done fit THEN look at other options.
      I guess i was stressing for no reason.

So some good news and bad news......
      Good: Spoon Header fits. Doesnt hit or come close to sway bar (just had to remove heat sheild around cat)
      BAD: Had a good look at my clutch..... It looke alright, but after speaking to a friend who got my flywheel machined, they told him that a sports organic wouldnt hold up.
      Had anoher chat to Yonas and he said to go 3 puk. The sports organic would not be the best clutch for what i was after...
      So we put it back another week, took the motor back out and it all looked like I was going backward.

With a week or so up my sleeve, just thought I'd put the battery and mount in and install th TRS tow strap.
      Battery is under passenger seat and all the cables are ready to be wired up.

Clutch arrived BIG thanks to Yonas for helping out with this.

TAKE 2.......
      Its in and not coming out.. hopefully

After spending a few hours on the loom and cooling lines, it started to become closer to complete..

Had to change the crank sensor plug to the K24 one.
      Last edited by Timmy_B; 09-07-13, 12:11 PM.

Comment

A late birthday present from a very good mate. Luke has helped out heaps with this build and has always said "everything is too easy" when im stressing about the build.

Its Subaru dark Gray Metallic

Whats left to do......
        Get the drive shafts back
        put disk and caliper back on
        fill car with fluids
        start her up and pray for no issues.....
        wire up the new battery and killswitch
        test drive

BIG thanks to:
        David @ Hybrid Racing
        Yonas @JDMyard
        Luke @ Racecourse for helping with the hard and heavy tasks
        Col @ Racecourse for lending the engine crane, engine stand and storage of motor.
        Terence @ AutoPro for the paint, battery wires, belts hoses and discounts
        Hunter Honda Parts
        Robi (45SET) for putting up with my thousands of questions
        Kristi (wife to be) for letting me do this all at home and giving me hours to work on the car while you plan our amazing wedding. ox

I will make a parts list sooon and upload videos of start up and test drives.

Comment

congrats man! Good ol Luke!
          Integra Type R
          Integra Type S
          S2000

Comment

Looking awesome!!
            Just going for a drive ~146.4kw~

Comment

Nice work Timmy!

Almost there
              Shak's S2000

Comment

Such awesome work man!

Wouldn't mind getting to see this in the flesh some time. We should catch up being that we are both Novocastrians :P
                ClubITR: "Cruising 3-wide on the bridge like BOSSES!!" ~ crashprash

My FlickR
                My TumblR

Comment

Great work Timmy . Are you worried about the oil lines heating up to the point of warping your injen wiper reservoir ?
                  Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Just remember brother, everything is too easy, look at whats been acheived, yes its taken ages but its done right and u can say i built this!! And it was easy!!! Cant wait to drive this thing, gonna be tits

Oh foot note, thank luke for engine crane and stand

Comment

Timmy. Mate, thumbs up. Epic build. Should lay out the DIY steps so it would make my life easier when I come to doing it.

Comment

Thanks guys...

Originally posted by knobosaurus View Post
                        Great work Timmy . Are you worried about the oil lines heating up to the point of warping your injen wiper reservoir ?
                        Heat from the hose line isnt a worry, the biggest worry is the braided hose will rub through ANYTHING that is softer then it.
                        In some of the pics you can see its been wraped in some cut off radiator hose. This will prevent the lines from damaging wire looms and plastic reservoir.

Originally posted by ceedeefive View Post
                        Just remember brother, everything is too easy, look at whats been acheived, yes its taken ages but its done right and u can say i built this!! And it was easy!!! Cant wait to drive this thing, gonna be tits

Oh foot note, thank luke for engine crane and stand
                        ANd Luke for everything...... Can't wait to start it up

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                        Timmy. Mate, thumbs up. Epic build. Should lay out the DIY steps so it would make my life easier when I come to doing it.
                        Happy to help out Norm. There were a few little things I had missed and forgotten to order.
                        Just use what you can online in DIY's. There are some great write ups and some shit ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy_B View Post
                          Heat from the hose line isnt a worry, the biggest worry is the braided hose will rub through ANYTHING that is softer then it.
                          In some of the pics you can see its been wraped in some cut off radiator hose. This will prevent the lines from damaging wire looms and plastic reservoir.
                          this stuff: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...SUBCATID=996#1
                          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                            whats it made out of?

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy_B View Post
                              whats it made out of?
                              probably polypropylene copolymer but you could check with the supplier to be sure?

Jaycar is just an easy example as there are a few stores up your way...

these guys are in sydney:

http://www.legend.com.au/products/ca...ings/loom-tube

if you want to be 100% sure it is the right stuff...
                              Last edited by tinkerbell; 09-07-13, 02:40 PM.
                              ... retired/

Comment

ive been running the jaycar stuff on my oil cooler lines for over 30'000km and it is fine.

(this is while racing at state level etc)
                                ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                                X