This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeMp View Post
    But the real argument here is, really how much weight are you really saving when you put the cf parts in PLUS the roll cage? I know the roll cage has other benefits but for the sake of this thread we will concentrating on th weight saving side of it.

I have yet to see any figures about the true weight saving of this cf'ing excercise. Through my various readings at CRSX and etc, the impression I get is you really don't save that much and your money could better spent else where. UNLESS you are making a full on track car and you have mod every other aspect already.

Jing I heard your project car is finished, would you be generous enough to share how much weight saving occurred (with your cf/light weight parts) vs original weight? I know this is a big ask but maybe you can potentially help this poor fellow save his money and put it on something that will really gain him something.

When I took off my stock front bar to put on the after market one I was quite amazed at how light the OEM one is already.

I'm sure this has already been asked in this thread but is this really more of a "bling" or weight saving excercise for a mildy modd'ed car?
    yeah my car is finished, the weight of the car currently is about 350kg

since its a bare shell ............. nah its not finished yet mate soon though

I did do some calcaluations though and the dry weight of the car should be above 1000kg.....to give you an idea though of the parts i have taken out and added that would directly relate to weight

Lightened wheels
    Lightened nuts
    No stereo/no speakers
    No aircon
    No water resevior
    No rear wiper
    No horn
    No rear seats
    No interior panels
    No spare wheels
    Lighter seats
    Half dash setup
    No interior
    Lexcan 3/4 window
    CF hatch
    Aryclic rear window
    Lighter exhuast
    Lighter airbox
    Lighter brakes
    CF door
    CF bonnet
    CF wing
    Lighter steering wheel
    Dry cell battery

I have accounted that the rollcage weighs about 20-30kg

even with all those changes it would barely be 1000kg if i am lucky ...... so for a street car to achieve 1000kg is near impossible

PS. i know thats an anal list but it really emphesis what it really takes to get around 1000kg
    Last edited by Jingers; 19-10-07, 04:11 PM.

Comment

time to drill some speed holes?
      T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

ROFL @ Jing's car finished...yea his model car lmao! LOL

Comment

Thanks for the input Jing! And personally I don't think your list is anal as it is obviously a very serious weight reduction exercise.

Mo: Just because you are in Syd and you know all the latest news! When you come down to Melb you will really get it! Wait! I'm not here when you come down!

Comment

FINALLY MY DOORS ARE HERE IN MY HANDS...ARMS...ok well in my lounge room... :P

I spend about 20 hours putting on the driver's side door... almost finished.. lol

The backing panel where all the OEM things fit on is too thick, due to it not being skinny sheet metal, so I have had to do a lot of sanding...

The weight difference is an even bigger one than that of the hood, and there's two of them. Even when you open the door, it almost flings open as soon as you pop the release.

As soon as the second one is on, its down to the weigh bridge.

Jing, you should take yours down to one too.

Comment

P.S. Jing... what brand hatch did you get?

Comment

backyard special

Comment

what would you rate it as?

OEM, good or average quality and fit?

Also, how much was the weight difference? Significant or pretty close to each other?

Comment

no idea, hasnt arrived.

Comment

just a random bit of info, I took my car down to a weight bridge (purely by accident),
                      dc2r weight with driver bang on 1200kg's.

Comment

LOL, either the bridge was wrong or you need to lay of the Double Quarter Pounders...
                        Last edited by BlackDC5R; 23-10-07, 04:52 AM.

Comment

this thread is useless without pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackDC5R View Post
                            LOL, either the bridge was wrong
                            ummmm, no.

the DC2R weight is wayyyy understated.

the 1087kg is the RACE version...

without A/C or ABS or SRS or stereo - it is 1120kg with these included.

http://translate.google.com/translat...26as_qdr%3Dall

so with a 60kg driver and half a tank of fuel you will top 1200kg at a weighbridge...
                            Last edited by tinkerbell; 23-10-07, 10:35 AM.
                            ... retired/

Comment

OH wow, i didnt know that?

So the weight quoted is race version .......... learn something new everyday

Comment

great info tinks!

and yeah.. PICS mofos!

God damn CF doors with no pics

Comment

Working...
                                X