No announcement yet.

Tyres Thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good to see THE tyre thread here.. but where's my RE55s review? mm..

Vehicle: DC2R
    Tyre: Bridgestone RE55S
    Size: 195/55 R15 (on std. dc2R enkei 15x6 wheel)
    Usage: circuit and occasional road

These are the only s-tyres i've ever used so can't compare to A048's, D02G's or R888's etc., other than i was able to buy them $40-50/tyre cheaper than the advans and dunlops. (~ $260ea).
    on the road they are very loud, sounds kind of like big 4WD tyres or a bus, especially noticeable when decelerating. hehe i don't mind the noise, esp as i'm not using them ALL the time.
    On my local 'touge' they offer grip at a completely other level to my street tyres (YH AVS ES100's, 205/40 17's on 17x7 P1's). its just incomparable. dry grip is outstanding, you can carry ridiculous speed thru the corners, turn-in and response is amazing. it's impossible to get even close to limits of adhesion with these tyres on public roads, unless you're an idiot!
    On the track, they're great. braking, mid-corner grip, grip on entry and exit, everything. just amazing. much higher corner speeds compared to high performance street tyres, and no loss of grip/feeling after countless laps and abuse. combined with good coilovers and brake pads they are an ideal combo for track days.
    plenty of tread left after 1 track day and a few weeks of road driving. looks like at leas 3-4 track days still in them..

"What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

mods: can we sticky up this tyre thread, i think its worth keeping, like the lap records one..

Comment

Any one experienced the Yokohama A drive R1? I am thinking about trying these out when (if... ) my new wheels arrive.
        Last edited by STEVtEc; 23-09-06, 02:08 PM.
        ClubITR- newcastle

Comment

Hi everyone...great reviews and all!!

WOuld like to know if anyone has had any experience with the Toyo Proxes 4?

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...tirebrand=Toyo
          http://www.1010tires.com/TireReviews..._reviews2.html

I'm in major need of new tyres and would appreciate any feedback. Ideally, I would probably want to go with the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx but they're a bit on the pricey side.

The reviews I've read on the Proxes 4 are good and it's something i'm considering.

Any feedback apprecaited...

Comment

http://www.toyo.com.au/PCRPDFs/Proxes%204.pdf

they look alright for non-high-performance tyres...
            ... retired/

Comment

Thanks for the link, tinkerbell. they seem adequate for most street applications.

Comment

hey i heard today at the tyre shop i went to that the Toyo Proxes T1R are no longer being made... anyone know what the replacement tyre is?

Comment

I think it's the R888's..... Anyone?
                  sigpic
                  B.L.A.T Racing.
                  Brake Late & Turn.

Comment

R888 is s-tyre like bs re55, dl dz02g yh a048 etc.

speaking of which, anyone have experience or advice regarding toyo R888?
                    as i have worn through my yh es100's on my 17x7's and need replacement 205/40 zr17 tyres .. was gunna get the yokos again as i'm very happy with them (my 2nd set), but then toying with the idea of getting the r888's..
                    ps i have re55s on my stockies which have done 2 track days and some street use but still heaps of tread left..may use these on the street for a while now as the wire is showing on the insides of my yokos aaargh.

Comment

szy, I have the r888's for the track and they're confidence inspiring.

IMHO they give great feedback and plenty of warning before losing grip. I'll definately buy another set once this set is through.

I say go for it, there's plenty of track goers with r888's and I doubt you would regret it.

On the other hand my street tyres are shot and I'd be interested in any tips.
                      j0nbubz: RG's awp is LOL
                      Chi: ...word of advice on who plays against rG
                      faijai: rg + awp = gg
                      hebe: Hahaha rG is just L337 bro!
                      rG`: Touchpad FTW!

Comment

I have been looking into 15" street and track tyres, not sure what size you guys are after. I was trying to get RE010's but Bridgestone Australia cound't find any. They suggested Mr2 spec RE040's but I'm not sure about that. I also found RE01-R but they are listed at $300, apparently an awesome tyre. The AD07 performs the same however is much noiser. See this Tirerack test.

Street
                        Yokohama AD07 - haven't looked that hard but can't immediately find them. Saw them for $200 last year.
                        Falken RT615 - Apparently exceptional dry grip, but only in 205/50/15 which could make steering a bit loose on stock 15x6. $220ish
                        Michelin Pilot Preceda 2 - New Tyre from Michelin. Sounds sad, but my Dad got these on his Volvo and I really enjoyed driving them hard. It's a big car but they gripped well, were progressive and didn't squeal. I was quoted $200 fitted for 195/55/15.
                        Other options
                        Kumho Ecsta MX KU15 and here Also look at SPT KU31.
                        Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212

Don't get Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3. I have them, good tyre but squeal too much and not quite enough grip. Not bad, just not sure why people rate them so highly.

Track
                        Toyo R888 - I have been running R881's for last three years, 5 track days, 4000 km's road and they still have one track day left. Been very happy with R881, so I imagine R888 would be a slight improvement. Was quoted $258 for R888 195/50/15 and $268 for 195/55/15. I also like the Toyo pitlane section.

Bridgestone RE55s - Quoted $290 for 195/50/15 and $300 for 195/55/15. Both in compound SR. Apparently other compunds are for 2-3 lap qualifying or cold weather.

Dunlop DZ02G - Quoted $330 for 195/55/15. Anecdotely the best tyre from other drivers, including from friends who run in Targa, but also $60 more per tyre than R888.

Other options are Yoko A048's, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup and Contintental C1 Competition, but I haven't priced them.

I'm thinking of going a 195/50 for track, as the diameter is 2cm less then 195/55, meaning your car sits 1cm lower and hopefully slightly less side wall flex. Also cheaper!
                        http://www.worldvision.com.au http://ww.compassion.com.au

Comment

szymonsta needs new tyres for street.. you sure you want to go R888's for street szy? wont last long?

speaking of "not lasting long" my RT215's have lasted 18k so far and might have another 10k in them so these might be an idea. not sure if they come in the right size for you though.

Comment

jeez u get good mileage from ur tyres mic. u grandma u. lol.

Comment

chuck - why not 205/50's

is it the 6in rim? i guess so...

Syz - i run R888 on track (as they are track tyres), after running the softer RA1's (which i loved due to quick heat up and fantastic communication - at the detriment of longevity!)

i think the R888's are OK, longer lasting than the RA1's but less communicative...

perhaps you get more tyre for your money with RE55s or DZ02G's ???
                              ... retired/

Comment

no no u guys r getting confused. sorry i must be e-mumbling. hehe.
                                i already HAVE a good set of track tyres - RE55S's on my stock wheels.
                                i need a replacement for my YH ES100's for my road wheels in a 205/40 zr17 with minimum load rating of 83 and speed V+.

i have done some research today and have the following options which fit my criteria:

YH AVS ES100's ~$295ea
                                YH A-drive AR01 ~$260ea
                                TY T1R's ~$280ea
                                Dunlop Sport Maxx (high load version) ~$225ea

the A-drives are apparently a signifficant step down compared to es100..
                                anyone have suggestions?
                                any experience with dunlop sport maxx?

Comment

Working...
                                X