No announcement yet.

Steve's DC5S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

norm, i know your getting RRC IM, let us know what your doing mate?
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

RBC was $215 from USA.

Comment

let me know if u want todds shortened tie rods..(u can install them and the bearings together and save on alignment costs)..plaything and myself are gonna get em.
        Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
        Flickr
        my car blog - Have a read
        my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

Comment

hey prash...let us know the cost..i might look into one of these as well...

Comment

Originally posted by crashprash View Post
            let me know if u want todds shortened tie rods..(u can install them and the bearings together and save on alignment costs)..plaything and myself are gonna get em.
            hey i dont think im going to need them if im keeping the camber i have atm, im hoping anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
              hey prash...let us know the cost..i might look into one of these as well...
              pm me so ill remember to keep you updated. I already have 3 people incl me who are ready to buy now. Just inquiring on pricing atm.
              Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
              Flickr
              my car blog - Have a read
              my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

Comment

UPDATE 14/2/2011

Hey guys, i have a few things i want to get out there regarding whats new with the car and whats on my mind lately regarding my suspension debacle.

first off i placed an order last week with Retrosolutions for a 55W 6K digital HID kit, Yellow fog lights and replacement parker and license plate leds. This should do a bit better than my current single low beam bulb still working and will do wonders when fog arrives come winter ill put up pics of this quality kit when they arrive and before/after pictures.

SECONDLY, i have been searching relentlessly for a suspension setup that will fit my needs, after being set on buddyclub RSD's, studying the dyno of the shocks and seeing the poor low speed valving has turned me off them now. I have a couple new alternatives that i havnt seen before, namely KW variant 2 (gutted they dont sell variant 3 for DC5) ...........

drawbacks of this setup include no camber tops and a progressive spring but overall believed to be a good solid feeling coilover.

Second a Custom Koni 8611 front coilover assembly with something like a Koni 3012 rear setup for a more track orientated setup ..............

Custom 8611 fabed into stock dc5 struts

Koni 8611 with todds camber plates and GC kit

Sweet looking koni yellow sleeved assembly

Koni 3012 monotube rear damper assembly for dc5 HARDCORE!

The idea of a custom fabbed kit with my own valving and springs of choice is very intriguing but i am currently overwhelmed by the choice of dampers, concerns regarding ride height and damper travel as well as finding capable people in this country that can do this for me without charging an arm and a leg. I want to know if there is anyone in AUS that has had experience with building their own kits like this as they seem to be the system of choice for american autocrossers, i would love to discuss the different possibilities and options regarding this build with anyone that is interested in lending me some help and knowledge

i will be looking into this seriously so let me know your suggestions and experience with me and lets see if we can break the "out of the box" stigma we have regarding suspension here in AUS ..................

Comment

wow, don't really have much understanding of the DC5 issues with ride height and damper travel, but I do like your options for dampers, either of them will blow away the buddyclub RSDs.

I know it's a different car but I've been running KW variant 3s for awhile, and my feeling is they are a very good street-track suspension when matched with grippy street tires like AD08, Z1SS, RE11, etc. Their lowspeed adjustment is just magnificent at this price point.

When you get to the point where you want a more track oriented car running really grippy semi slicks like A050s and D03Gs on grippy race track tarmac, the progressive springs and valving struggles to keep up with the cornering Gs. At this point I believe you'd benefit more from linear springs and shocks valved to match. So would advise the Koni motorsport set in this case, or KW clubsport if they make it for your car. I'm struggling to find options to replace the KWs myself looking at possibly intrax suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by lukits01 View Post
                    wow, don't really have much understanding of the DC5 issues with ride height and damper travel, but I do like your options for dampers, either of them will blow away the buddyclub RSDs.

I know it's a different car but I've been running KW variant 3s for awhile, and my feeling is they are a very good street-track suspension when matched with grippy street tires like AD08, Z1SS, RE11, etc. Their lowspeed adjustment is just magnificent at this price point.

When you get to the point where you want a more track oriented car running really grippy semi slicks like A050s and D03Gs on grippy race track tarmac, the progressive springs and valving struggles to keep up with the cornering Gs. At this point I believe you'd benefit more from linear springs and shocks valved to match. So would advise the Koni motorsport set in this case, or KW clubsport if they make it for your car. I'm struggling to find options to replace the KWs myself looking at possibly intrax suspension.

Its such a damn shame that Kw do not make a clubsport or a variant 3 model for the dc5 chassis, they do however offer a "race kit" for about 5K but there are no specifications online.

Regarding the koni 8611 race dampers, i have read of a few guys saying they are not suitable for a lot of drop however the koni fabbed dc5 shocks shown above are used on a bom rsx on clubrsx which has a very low ride height,

thread is here ....
                    http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=661331

front what i understand, after machining out stock struts guts out, the inside is threaded and the insert installed. Also with the use of a lathe and snap rings, a threaded capping can be installed onto the strut for the spring perch (i am a bit surprised this method of securing the thread onto the strut is used as i would have thought the damper walls are not that thick and the resulting shear forces would be quite high??)
                    If only koni offered a damper similar to the 2817 with a threaded lower body (without the 1.2k pricetag) to allow the possibility of installation into an aftermarket lower bracket, this would incorporate a lower steering arm thus aiding the geomoetry issue.

for the rear, koni 3012 dampers can be made to order to your specs which would allow it to be a straight drop in unit for use with the standard top hat, apparantly though the shock itself is wider than standard so full compression on a dc5 due to insufficiently stiff springs could cause the shock to contact the top hat and get stuck (as read in the abovementioned thread).

the more i look at this option the more i like the idea of putting together my own kit to get the compromise i desire out of street and track (more track ). Anyone else out there (Tom ) that has sufficient knowledge on this i would appreciate anyhelp regarding damper/hardware combos etc to build a solid 8611/3012/whatever else you think is good combo
                    Last edited by stevan; 15-02-11, 03:26 PM.

Comment

just found some interesting looking camber plates that mite look good on kw variant 2's

installed on ohlins shocks yumm ..... oh yeh and theyre only $150 online 60% off!!

this could be a cheaper alternative to todds castor/camber plates

Comment

very impressive dude... pretty interested to see where this heads to. kinda sick of my N+, want something better >..>
                        bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

Originally posted by jj17 View Post
                          very impressive dude... pretty interested to see where this heads to. kinda sick of my N+, want something better >..>
                          I know how you feel dude, just found out DFV's are discontinued for the DC5 chassis which kind of sucks. My mate gave me the guys email from vividracing where he bought a set for his RX7, awaiting on pricing he can get for the Koni dampers and a few other things.

In regards to the 2817 Koni monutube dampers, i wonder how hard it would be to get aftermarket lower brackets for these and thread the damper into it just like any other independantly height adjustable system? Heres a pic i found of the 2817 with what looks like a custom Koni strut housing (on the right) with aftermarket camber tops and eibach springs DROOOL!

The 2817 would require only the top mount, springs and the lower bracket as it comes with the attachments for springs seats. all up though just for the fronts you are looking at $2200 roughly, i may be able to get a deal through the american distributors if i get the whole thing done at once, this is pretty baller stuff though and its streetability is another factor altogether. In all honesty though any DC owner would love to be rocking a set of these bad boys!

EDIT: 2817's are about $1700 for 2 LOL, i thought 1200 was for 2 dampers hahaha, still getting full kit pricing as we speak
                          Last edited by stevan; 23-02-11, 01:47 PM.

Comment

I seem to see alot of people say this about the N+, what are you finding wrong with them?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zakarados View Post
                              I seem to see alot of people say this about the N+, what are you finding wrong with them?
                              there is nothing wrong with them... just.. want something better? I havent had any issues with mine but like you said, there are alot of people ive seen complaining about them on the CRSX forums. maybe its just the amount of abuse they give the coilovers =/

and steve.. is that 2 different eibach springs on front and back? like prokit and sportline =/
                              bansai! Ling Longs

Comment

there is nothing wrong with them... just.. want something better? I havent had any issues with mine but like you said, there are alot of people ive seen complaining about them on the CRSX forums. maybe its just the amount of abuse they give the coilovers =/

and steve.. is that 2 different eibach springs on front and back? like prokit and sportline =/
                                those eibach springs id imagine are only different colours due to the spring length and/or the spring id.

Just received word that the 2817's above are not streetable however the 3012's for the rear are due to their "robustness"

Comment

Working...
                                X