No announcement yet.

Mugsee's DC5R Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Saturday I attended an EXE dyno day held at Protek in Preston. As always, the event was very well run and a great day was had by all.

I'm pleased with my results, mainly because the DIY tune is holding up well and making decent power. At 131.2kw, I am happy overall but know that there are some changes that I can still make to the tune to improve it. I'll aim to finish making these changes before the next dyno day.

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner so you'll have to make do with photos of my dyno graphs

Power and Torque:

Power and AFR:

Lack of a working o2 sensor meant that my AFR graph was pretty crappy, especially towards the top. I have a new o2 sensor in my possession and will hopefully be installing it tomorrow, so I should be on my way to good fuel ecconomy again, hopefully

Other pics of my car on the dyno:

Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Good to see you got power right up to 8,000rpm

Comment

How would O2 sensor affect WOT?
        BYP Racing & Developments
        Built. Tuned. Driven
        Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Originally posted by maracer View Post
          Good to see you got power right up to 8,000rpm
          Thanks! I'm curious to see what a modded (inc. ECU) Type S will pull when compared to a 02-04 DC5R and if your (closer to JDM Type R) cams will allow you to make a bit more power after 8000. When is it ECU time?

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
          How would O2 sensor affect WOT?
          I was wondering if somebody was gonna pick up on this

The O2 sensor affects nothing in WOT, however because my O2 sesnor has been broken since June 9th, I haven't been able to view/modify my AFR on any one of my datalogs since that date.

Prior to that I just made sure that I was somewhere within the vicinity of 13:1 however never got around to perfecting it. Serves me right for doing something half-assed.
          Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

So Michael...

What is the difference/gains you have made with your Endless compact 6 pot calipers compared to our stock single pot calipers?

Was there gains in terms of surface area on the pots compared to stock?

There we go - question asked!

Comment

I love your car...can I marry it?

Comment

^ that's adultery!!
                he's already married to it...lol

mugs: (if you ever get a divorce, i want the rims from your settlement)

Comment

Originally posted by tofu View Post
                  mugs: (if you ever get a divorce, i want the rims from your settlement)
                  Just start looking at nissan silvia forums if you want something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by TeMp View Post
                    So Michael...

What is the difference/gains you have made with your Endless compact 6 pot calipers compared to our stock single pot calipers?

There we go - question asked!
                    I am also interested in the answer to these questions.

Comment

mugsee Could you tell me where did u get the rims? any web page intro me?
                      17x8.5+37 is it the best for dc5r? can wide more?

Comment

Hey just curious, on the dyno sheet it says gear 4. Shouldnt it be done in gear 5?
                        sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

love the car man nice work

Comment

Mo + Tofu: She is mine. All mine.

Originally posted by TeMp View Post
                            So Michael...

The difference in between the stock calipers and the endless ones is that the stock ones are a plain-jane dark gray colour, whereas the endless ones are an awesome bright blue that everyone likes to look and point at and say "cool..." Oh, they also say "ENDLESS" on them.

In all seriousness though, its hard for me to do a proper comparison on how well these calipers stop the car when compared to the stock ones, as I've never been able to run the same pad that I'm currently using in the stock caliper nor test the two calipers back to back on the same track with the same level of driving ability.

RE: piston surface areas
                            The piston surface area on the 6 pot calipers is definitely bigger than that of the stock caliper but by how much, I'm not too sure because I've never measured.

The theory behind the bigger piston surface area is that it provides more consistent pressure on the pads over a wider surface area, which aids in a consistant braking feel.
                            In practice, I don't feel any difference between the stock calipers and these endless ones when braking on the track, that I can attribute to the caliper design.

The theory behind the larger endless caliper is that it is designed to hold more fluid and provide better cooling characteristics as to prevent brake fade on track.
                            In practice, my stock calipers and pads never faded on track so I don't notice any difference.

The level of braking on my car is determined by the ability of the tyres to maintain steady contact to the ground, as both calipers will tend to lock up the tyres first, before pulling up the car on a dime, hence why I'm reluctant to make any bold claims that this caliper provides me with ultra cool braking powers.

So to answer your question about how much difference the endless calipers provide over the stock ones; none that I can attribute to the calipers alone, at this stage in time. It may provide better stopping powers different to the stock caliper, however I'm unable to determine what this difference is because of the different setups used.

Heres a pic of the Endless caliper mentioned:

I guess when ChargeR and I both move to wide semis and require our brakes to work a lot harder than they currently are, and if he's still on his stock calipers, we'll be able to compare and determine if endless has made an awesome product that the average consumer that tracks their car occasionally will appreciate or whether the product is indeed specifically suited towards endurance racers.

Originally posted by JKDC5R View Post
                            mugsee Could you tell me where did u get the rims? any web page intro me?
                            17x8.5+37 is it the best for dc5r? can wide more?
                            I picked up the rims from another member off CITR (itr224) which I was very appreciate of, as they the old Advan RG's didn't clear the endless calipers.

17x8.5+37 is a good width and size however I'm sure there are other combinations out there that might work just as well. What do you intend on doing with your setup? Hard park, track or purely street use only?

Originally posted by Didz View Post
                            Hey just curious, on the dyno sheet it says gear 4. Shouldnt it be done in gear 5?
                            I think DD shootout mode specifies that the dyno should generally be run in the gear with the closest to a 1:1 ratio which is 5th gear, however Protek is not a DD dyno and chooses to run their cars in 4th gear. I'm not too sure why this is (220km in 5th gear?) however I'm not too fussed because my last dyno was in 4th gear which gives me something to compare against.

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                            love the car man nice work
                            Thanks dude. Btw, do an intro thread and introduce yourself to the others around here
                            Last edited by mugsee; 24-09-08, 10:00 PM. Reason: Inserted picture of carriper

Comment

How did you go at Winton on Sunday guy? I think I saw you there.

Comment

Originally posted by SuiJin View Post
                                i don't dig the spoiler looks out of place but its ur choice dud.
                                Really? I think it suits Mugman's car better than others I've seen.

You rock Mugman. Your's and Tom's updates make up for my insignificant progress of late and w00t to the dollar taking another dump today I'm holding off again on next parts order. It's all you guys for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X