Mugsee's DC5R Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mugsee's DC5R Blog

After persistant nagging from ChargeR, I've decided to get my car blog thread started. My story isn't particularly interesting, but I guess it might provide a good laugh and/or ideas for other owners that hopefully they can draw some inspiration from.

Originally tossing up between a SW20 MR2 or DC2R, I cut my choice down to the DC2R because of its 4 seater and boot space practicality over the MR2 and test drove a white 1996 example with the personalised plates 'CEPER' (low in Indonesian, I think). After countless hours of thought, I realised that after dismissing the DC5R because of its large awkward shape, I was actually in love with it and could think of no other car that I'd rather. The S15 did come to mind, considering that at the time they were both around the same price however the stigma of owning a Nissan and their associated crowd, and the 'full' package of a Type R (factory body kit, recaros, aggressive look, etc) convinced me that the DC5R was the perfect car for me, and it was.

After testing a couple of DC5R's locally, I eventually found a Milano Red DC5R with a sunroof in the West side of Melbourne, which was exactly what I wanted! A couple of days later on February 12th 2004, I was the proud owner of my very own DC5R.

Pic of my first CRSX meet soon after picking up the car, where I met Hadean amongst other guys who have since disappeared from the scene.

Being the povo uni student that I was, I rode around stock for a good part of 2 years and was the center of all 4WD jokes because of the ridiculously high stock height. Eventually, after finishing uni and getting a job, I started pouring money into the car and became a CBR (chequebook racer) because of my fascination of accumulating parts without actually enjoying the car (ie. tracking it).

Pic of my 4wd DC5R

On November 26 2006, I participated in my first track day at Winton with the HSCCV (Honda Sports Car Club of Victoria) and had an absolute ball. Incidentally, this is where I met my nemesis, ChargeR for the first time; on the battlefield, in his emo clothes and his emo hair. At the end of the day, I managed to pull a 1.54 in my DC5R with i/e/coilovers + street tyres, whilst ChargeR in his relatively stock DC5R with i/e + street tyres convincingly wooped me with a 1:51. I would eventually get my own back at the next track day and thus began our rivalry with each other...NEMESIS!!! That being said, I still didn't feel good about just managing to beat ChargeR; I had a fair amount more mods than him which were just compensating for my driving (or lack of) ability, which has since been my focus when attending track days; improving my driver ability without compensating with mods.

Riding on silver Advan RG's

My lap times for each of my track outings are recorded below. I'm glad to say that despite doing a bit of CBR inbetween the various track days, most of my time improvement has been due to driver ability. The second times along each line is my Nemesis' laptimes for the same event.

A wheels magazine PCOTY '06 laptime around Winton for a 2002 DC5R is: 1.45.53

26/11/2006 - HSCCV - 1:54.8110 |1:51.6290
    11/03/2007 - RX8 - 1:50.27 |1:50.7980
    09/06/2007 - On The Run - 1:48.003 |
    18/11/2007 - HSCCV - 1:46.853 |
    17/02/2008 - Mazda RX8 - 1:44.?? |1:44.2545
    10/05/2008 - Circuit Club - 1:43.9800 |1:43.7600
    25/06/2008 - EXE Track Day - 1:42.53 |1:43.0100

Pics at some of the last track days I attended

Details on my car:
    2002 DC5 Integra Type R
    Stealership aftermarket sunroof by Hollandier
    Injen CAI
    Buddyclub Spec 3 exhaust
    Mugen headers
    Kpro
    Endless Zeal Function V6 coilovers F:10k|R:10k
    Custom polyutherane engine mounts
    Whiteline Front adjustable sway bar
    Whiteline Rear adjustable sway bar
    Mugen front tower bar
    Mugen rear chasis bar
    17x7.5" +29, 17x8.5" +37 Advan RGs with Dunlop Direzza Z1's
    Endless Zeal 6pot mini calipers (on stock rotors)
    Endless CCX pads for track, VN9500 for street
    Ingalls front camber bolts
    Ingalls rear camber kit
    Centrax Catch Can
    OEM Honda AU window visors
    Mugen replica rear wing
    HIDS
    Viscous Short Shifter
    Red Recaros
    Red side door trim

Part of the game of modifying cars is to try something, realise that its not what you want/need, and then try again with a different part/item. Throughout my time with the car, some of the progression of mods that aren't reflected in the cars current state include:

stock box --> Apexi SRI --> gutted stock box --> injen CAI
    stock mounts --> ESMM --> DIY polyutherane (stock) mounts
    Stock rims --> 17 x 7.5" +45 Advan RGs in silver --> 17 x 7.5" +29, 17 x 8.5" +37 Advan RGs in gold
    Bridgestone RE030 --> Bridgestone G3 --> Bridgestone RE050A --> Bridgestone RE01R --> Dunlop Direzza Z1
    Stock suspension --> Tein Flex --> Endless Zeal Function V6

Some random shots I took

I'm sure that theres plenty of random stuff that I've left out that I'll remember to add in later on, so apologies in advance at the organisation of this blog.

Oh and lastly before I forget, thanks to all the guys who've helped in creating the car I drive today; these are the guys behind the scenes who've lifted a tool and helped, or just given me general setup/driving advice. Big thanks especially to wlee2 and ChargeR who've helped me get out of sticky situations (clutch not engaging, calipers falling apart, etc) as well as helped in advising the cars setup.

Cheers,

Michael
    Last edited by mugsee; 15-08-08, 09:50 AM.
    Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Reserved by me.
    Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Nice work .. DC5 has come along way !!

2000 DC2 Integra type-R NHB #00-0413
      DBA 4000 series front rotors
      Hot Bits performance Coil-Overs

Comment

it's the asian stig!

what a beast.. so so clean!
        ClubITR | Like

Comment

nice story...

Comment

looking good!!!

Comment

That bring all the old memory back too.....nice stuff......love ur car as always......
              Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
              1)ブレーキを踏む
              2)クラッチを切る
              3)シフトダウンしなから、
                アクセルをぶかす
              4)クラッチをつなぐ
              :blah:
              インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
              人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Bastard if you wanted Red interior you coulda traded with me lol.

CE28's > SSR type C > Spun Cast RG's LOL.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
                Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

I was always under the impression that you were white...no idea why though...

Tis a very nice DC5R

Hadean as he used to be known is still on here, only using his real name as his nick now, which is Howie. Doesn't post much anymore as he's a busy lad
                  Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #001

Comment

Attached Files
                    Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Comment

Awesome blog dude!!

Did you steam clean those seats? lol

Comment

Nice write up nemesis . You don't seem to have times for Wakefield, Broadford or Eastern Creek to compare which is sad .

You are welcome when it comes to my assistance, it has been a pleasure helping in the development of one of the most intelligently modified DC5Rs around .

I am looking forward to updates in about 3-4 weeks time .

Comment

Great write up Michael!

Thanks for taking the effort and having the guts to list out your parts too (as we all know a stock type r is already enough of a target for thief let alone a modd'ed one).

Your attitude with attaining a fast time and your consistent improvement in your driving ability is both inspiring and impressive. O and also your modesty!

Always fun to hang around you and the boys.

Last edited by TeMp; 14-08-08, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Manny View Post
                            Hadean as he used to be known is still on here, only using his real name as his nick now, which is Howie. Doesn't post much anymore as he's a busy lad
                            He's usually on MSN late at night high on something

He's gone German V6 now.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
                            Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

did u know it was because of u that milano red has grown on me? i used to hate red dc5rs, lol. keep it up with the updates of this blog and yes, it was quite fun at winton last time, thanks for taking me on the track, memories of laughter and u calling me a bxtch cos i told u to go faster LOL good times
                              <3j

Comment

Working...
                              X