No announcement yet.

Integra Type S - My Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I installed the rails on the drivers side today and also went to install the takata harness off Stevan!

I faced a setback due to some misscommunciation on where to screw the eyebolts, after realising what I should be screwing them, it all worked great!

I spent a quick moment adjust the straps.. RIght now I have it sitting where I think it feels comfortable, I will post a pic sometime next week and get some opinions etc. Visually I want the straps sitting lower so you can see more of the takata, as right now the "t" starts right on my shoulder lol.

Will see how it goes anyways.

I also put the flat back seat in after the install and the straps all work correctly

One thing I want to advise to all facelift/Type S owners if their looking at a harness ' lower/aftermarket seat rails.... Please consider getting a prefacelift console.

Guys in the states all say if their going to be running SR4 to change to a dc5r console as the facelift is too fat... I decided not to go down this route when I jsut changed to SR4's.. with the seats pushed as far forward, it just clears and there isnt any rubbing with the inner bolsters and the console. AFter installing the lower rails, when you push it right forward, it becomes harder as the inner bolster is rubbbing against the console...

On my drivers side, with the addition of the eyebolt that replaces the bolt that holds the belt buckle to the rail. This makes it extremely hard to slide the seat back and forward. you cannot slide the chair at all unless you are sitting in it and using your weight/legs to slide it back and fourth. I'm highly considering the dc5r console to give more room for this, but I do lose the Type S luxury of 5th cupholder, pocket adjacent to the handbrake, and the sliding/private compartment above the front cupholders.. Anyone looking for a straight swap?
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

Another thing I want to add is the eye bolt that replaces the seat belt (front, closest to driver door). the oem belt is rather long as it has a couple thick washers that allows the drive to pivot this forward and back depending on their seating position. By replacing this bolt with the short eye bolt, none of these washers are reused, just one of the crush washers itself.

I am looking into the long takata eyebolt to resolve this issue. Looking locally first though;

http://takataracingproducts.com/
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

Yesterday I dropped the car off to Top One first thing in the morning to machine my rotors ( They didnt need doing but thought i'd so it since i was changing pads, next time)

On the bus ride home I got an unexpected call from Dedy saying he broke my lock nut key. A bit shocked from this since McGuard are a reputable company.... stroke of luck, Julies McGuard nuts shared the exact same combination on the lock key. Went to give that a try. I have always seen Dedy and his crew use a breakerbar on my car and never used rattle gun. Was thinking hmm maybe this time they used a rattle gun and it broke the lock key.

I went back to TopOne and gave it a try with a breaker bar just to crack open the lock nuts with Julies lock key. I too cracked her lock key !!

I came back at 4pm and found 20 indonesian guys standing near the corner of my car debating on how to open up the lock nut. Everyone was trying with no success. Around 6 when all the cars were finished Dedy gave it a try. Used a chisel to get a flat surface and hammered a smaller socker on and attempted to open the lock nut. About 10 min passed and he managed to do it. He was suggesting welding a socket on, but I didnt want the heat to wreck my precious regamasters. I said just drill it. Dedy was determined to get it open last night.

Fortunately it was off with no damaged to my wheel, the lock nut was useless though. Throughout the day I visited Yonas and grabbed their last set of generic nuts. Luckily I got a set of their Zinc plated ones over thier black ones where the paint comes off quite easily.

Also carried out a minor service, installed new Ferodo DS2500 and RBF600 fluuid bleed.

Car is now ready for CircuitClub next week after I readjust the takata harness later today.

Some pictures;

Top Ones attempt to unlock the wheel nut. The combination pattern came cleanlyh off the lock key and stuck flush inside the lock nut!

It was managed to be taken out where a small chisel and wd40 was used to tap it out!

My two useless lock keys, on the right the pattern was cleanly taken off, on the left, the pattern is shown to be cracked all over!

Some shots of the mangled lock nut.

Is mcGuard a reputable product, I think so. If you are looking at getting McGuard items, dont get the lock key. Just get 20 Splinedriven nuts.

Left: Standard splinedriven nut, Right: Lock key

You can see from the above pic the splinedriven "normal" nuts have a washer that prevent the nut from being overtightened. This washer doesnt come on the lock nut which in addition to me NOT using a torque wrench had me unstuck.

Moving forward I have purchased a torquewrench and will be tightening to 95nM from now on

Funny how after 3 years of taking wheels on and off the exact same process, now it has failed me... oh well, you live and you learn.
        Integra Type R
        Integra Type S
        S2000

Comment

I guess I need to buy some new nuts also!!
          Shak's S2000

Comment

Omg failed nuts anyone??
            Did They suggest why this would happen?

Comment

Dedy said I did it too tight. Its either that all my lock nut key was a bad batch?

I have been using the same breaker bar for 3 years now.. exact same process and never had issue. Also thinking maybe it was too cold for the nut to be cracked open and refused to budge... The reason I am thinking this is, when u go to the track and after each session, the nuts have loosened just that little bit from the heat... well the complete opposite yesterday morning?

A fair few of my friends have the mcguard nuts and have had no problems. just use a torque wrench from now on too.

I have since replaced the nuts now with steel ones.
              Integra Type R
              Integra Type S
              S2000

Comment

Do you think that the lock nut design is too weak?
                Good think it happened at Top One and not at the track

Comment

This is the reason why i gave up on locknuts a long time ago. Wheel thieves will manage to steal your wheels with or without locknuts if they want it badly enough. A lock nut wont deter them and the benefits just dont outweigh the disadvantages (locknuts breaking, annoying to put on take off, potential damage to wheels...)
                  eckoflyte

Comment

HaRness in and adjusted. Just had a run with/without harness... Massive difference!
                    Integra Type R
                    Integra Type S
                    S2000

Comment

So all I had to do was adjust the harness properly and the car is ready for Wakefield.

adjusted the harness and took it for a drive down to Royal national Park.

felt great with the harness on!

I didnt move much at all

On the way back did the run again with no harness and massive difference!

Looking at getting a Koyo radiator and installing my Mugen Thermostat in october!
                      Integra Type R
                      Integra Type S
                      S2000

Comment

The mc gard keys break easily. I have the spline nuts and I did some research on them before I bought them. A lot of reviews on the breaking and when you see how thin it is and how light and long it is, you can see why they break. I bought 2 keys just for this reason. I might cut them down to make them not so deep

Comment

I dont think its the length of the socket that makes it break. The "unique" combination if you refer to an earlier posts, its 3-4mm thick..... that is the only part that goes into the lock nut, so i dont think the priblem lies with the length of the socket. What I am doing with my remaining 16 spline nuts is im giving 4 to my gf, and mate. if you want a spare 4 splinedrive nuts (in black) let me know i'll send it to ya mate.
                          Integra Type R
                          Integra Type S
                          S2000

Comment

Weird, read on miata forums and stuff that some guys autox all the time with Spline Drives and have no problem!
                            Guess best to avoid FT on your wheel nuts :P

Looks nice mate
                            Call me out if you ever go Royal National Park broo, I live so close to you!

Comment

Originally posted by aRze View Post
                              Weird, read on miata forums and stuff that some guys autox all the time with Spline Drives and have no problem!
                              Guess best to avoid FT on your wheel nuts :P

Looks nice mate
                              Call me out if you ever go Royal National Park broo, I live so close to you!
                              Haha yeah lesson learned rob! Notec the splinedrives didnt fail, the lock nuts did!

Will let u know nek time. But i dont go hard there any more... Caught before lol.. I only go hard on the 25/35 km/h corners.
                              Integra Type R
                              Integra Type S
                              S2000

Comment

Ah yerr.. Dem lock nuts!

Nah I don't plan to go hard either, just chill. Don't need to be pushing limits to enjoy the car Heard cops like camp there since Crazy Carlo made drift vids there lol.

Went to wakefield yesterday bro.. really did wish I had a harness on when slamming the brakes lols, was fighting to stay in my seat. Can't imagine what it'd be like on those leather Type S seats =P

Comment

Working...
                                X