Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coilovers/ Sway bars/ strut bars/ braces/ cages discussion - DC5 ONLY.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coilovers/ Sway bars/ strut bars/ braces/ cages discussion - DC5 ONLY.

Hey guys,

In 2011, i wanna upgrade some of the suspension componenets to make a stiffer ride. Im definately looking at sway bars as an up and coming mod in 2011. Care to share any advice?
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Well i've rear and front cusco braces...
    EP3R Front Sway Bar...
    It has improved the handling...

Im aiming to get a Rear Cusco Sway Bar and J's Racing C-Pillar and then my in car setup will be complete...
    Don't have coils yet because i can't justify the cost...

Car does feel slightly stiffer but not dramatically.
    Handles alot better through corners though.

Comment

Hey grosso

Thats funny how u think u cannot justify the cost
      Of coilovers. I dont have that. Many mods on my car, but i actually believe coilovers are the best bang for buck mod for the dc5/ sports car. Its a mod that actually benefits the handling capabilities, as well as looks.

If i ever get another sports car, first
      Mod will definately be a set of stiff coilovers. Dont get me wrong, i know your cat is quite stiff with those bara, my mates old dc5 was just on lowered springs but had whiteline front and rear sway bars and it was a stiff ride, and he has also mentioned that he has three-wheeled on more than a few occasions.

For myself, im gonna get a rear sway bar first, if im not getting enough oversteer. I might look into getting the rear lower brace, and if thats too much i mightget a front strut brace to try and even things up.

What elsr have people got, or anticpating?
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

A stock DC5 will 3 wheel all day long on track with decent tyres. The stock spring rates and bars aren't that bad and with some decent sized sways it can work pretty well.

I have the following on my car:

A Mugen front strut bar
        JDM 22mm rear sway bar
        EP3 26mm front sway bar
        Mugen N1 dampers with 14kg/mm front and 28kg/mm rear rates

I don't really intend to add any more chassis stiffeners, although I do think I may have reached the point where chassis flex may becoming significant. The cost to benefit ratio just doesn't appeal to me and I like my stock interior. The DC5 chassis feels pretty good to me compared to other cars I have driven, there is little sensation of the car flexing on track.

Comment

Wow, i never thought the ep3r sway bar was 26 mm!!!
          Integra Type R
          Integra Type S
          S2000

Comment

EP3: 25.4 DC5S: 26.5 DC5R: 24(?)
            I changed mine from the S to the EP3, made it soft. Didnt like it, and therefore I got an aftermarket solid bar.
            I wouldn't recommend just getting a RSW, you should balance it with a FSW. When i had just the cusco on, it made the handling sluggish and annoying to drive. Front put made a world of difference. No joke.

Comment

Alex, why are you looking to gain oversteer? Did you mean to reduce understeer?

I have Buddyclub N+ running F9::R13 damper settings (decent for street... ish?), Spoon rear strut bar, whiteline adjustable sway on stiffest setting. Seems to be plenty to get rid of majority of understeer, and make the car solid as. No more handling/chasis work needed for me, now to work on power and/or LSD.
              sigpic

Comment

tein monoflex 8/10
                ep3 front sway (had selbys sway before)
                selby 24mm rear sway

sways made the biggest difference since i run my coils on the softest setting. havent tested on track yet. might get a rear strut soon or a front under car brace.
                Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
                Flickr
                my car blog - Have a read
                my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                  A stock DC5 will 3 wheel all day long on track with decent tyres. The stock spring rates and bars aren't that bad and with some decent sized sways it can work pretty well.
                  Yep.

First time on track was average Hankook tyres and stock suspension with stock wheels and stock.. everything!

the dc5 is definitely good enough as a stock car. I was 3 wheeling all day long there too :P

For me.

Cusco Front strut bar
                  EP3R Front sway bar
                  Whiteline Solid 24mm Adjustable rear sway
                  DMS Coilovers 10kg front 12kg rear
                  sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Zakarados View Post
                    Alex, why are you looking to gain oversteer? Did you mean to reduce understeer?

I have Buddyclub N+ running F9::R13 damper settings (decent for street... ish?), Spoon rear strut bar, whiteline adjustable sway on stiffest setting. Seems to be plenty to get rid of majority of understeer, and make the car solid as. No more handling/chasis work needed for me, now to work on power and/or LSD.
                    my car feels like it understeers. Gaining some oversteer means reducing understeer right?
                    Integra Type R
                    Integra Type S
                    S2000

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
                      my car feels like it understeers. Gaining some oversteer means reducing understeer right?
                      ya same same, you are just shifting your cars bias from understeer to oversteer by making such changes. Has anyone known of the DC5 chassis to experience snap oversteer when setup to oversteer?? i have always wondered if the DC5 chassis can be setup in a way to achieve so much oversteer it can cause it to snap the rear out like i have see some evos do. thats why i love the DC5 chassis you can always deal with it once you are reaching the limit without too many nasty surprises

Comment

Just got my sway bar installed on Friday.

Now i havent taken it to track yet but after driving around town, it feels like it has MORE understeer. Possibly a bit sluggish.

After asking the mechanic about the setting he used on the sway, he said the weakest. Then warned me about using the stiffest, telling me it could be too stiff for the car and break something.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by stevan View Post
                          ya same same, you are just shifting your cars bias from understeer to oversteer by making such changes. Has anyone known of the DC5 chassis to experience snap oversteer when setup to oversteer?? i have always wondered if the DC5 chassis can be setup in a way to achieve so much oversteer it can cause it to snap the rear out like i have see some evos do. thats why i love the DC5 chassis you can always deal with it once you are reaching the limit without too many nasty surprises
                          I have had snap oversteer with stock suspension set up. Once when hard under brakes and once just after a hairpin on track. I have also had it during normal driving as well.
                          EDIT: Sorry to double post. It felt that answering this way was better suited as my original post was a question.

Comment

Originally posted by Didz View Post
                            if it increased understeer is it the front one?
                            ... retired/

Comment

Is this thread just for general suspension chassis discussion? Or is there meant to be a particular focus. If it is just for general suspension/chassis can I suggest a name change to something more representative? Maybe we could use it for general suspension queries that don't really warrant their own thread too?

I have never felt my car to be particularly snappy when it oversteers, only in the wet or on cold/worn rear tyres. My setup is fairly neutral but slightly oversteer biased.

Originally posted by Didz View Post

Now i havent taken it to track yet but after driving around town, it feels like it has MORE understeer. Possibly a bit sluggish.

After asking the mechanic about the setting he used on the sway, he said the weakest. Then warned me about using the stiffest, telling me it could be too stiff for the car and break something.

Thoughts?
                              I doubt you will have issues with it on the stiffest setting, many US and Japanese manufacturers make 24mm and larger bars and I have never heard of subframe damage in a DC5. I have read of the odd instance of endlinks snapping on ClubRSX but suspension components seem to have a really hard time in the colder areas of the US so I doubt even that will happen to you. Also you should head to Winton this Friday and give us a proper review .

Comment

Working...
                              X