Best Oil for our beloved Hondas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackDC2 View Post
    keep going i cant see the difference yet.
    Hahaha...I should've made "supposedly" bolded or something more obvious...I'm just quoting what I've been told...I'm not a Hanny's customer as I'm sure you're more than aware Jas...
    Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #001

Comment

Originally posted by BlackDC2 View Post
      keep going i cant see the difference yet.
      Its faster, you dont have to crawl under the car and you dont have to wait as long to remove more oil from the sump.

Meaning you can get customers in and out faster = more money
      Last edited by Danga; 24-08-06, 02:16 PM.
      'freakygeek is the stig'

Comment

My car has run on Redline 5w-30 since new, very expensive but very good as far as i know, have never had any problems with it...
        NA is BEST

59.4 QR Spint - Qld's Quickest DC5R

Comment

When i bought FEO from Honda, I asked the tech guy if its any good for my car. He told me he doesnt put it in his car. FEO is mineral based (or something)...He suggested to me to use Synthetic next time.

Can someone comment on that?! Is FEO just good for the application?

Comment

I've tried the following in my DC2R:

Redline 5-30W
            Mobil 1 - 10-40W
            Castrol 5-30W, 10-40W
            Repsol 0-40W
            Motul 300v chrono 10-40W and
            Motul 8100 5-40W
            Motul 15-50W
            Elf 10-50W

and others in my other car.

My opinion - specific to DC2R experience.

Flow is better for winter - Thinner oils
            Thicker oil - better protection under extreme conditions

But feel -> the 50W oils felt to thick. I felt that the engine was sluggish and didn't rev as freely until I ran for about 30mins. It also seem to heat up slower but also cool slower once I reached a high temp (oil cooler). I would use a thicker oil for older engines. In winter, it also took longer to warm up and had crappy milage.

With the thinner oils, they can heat up pretty fast (though temp is quite stable with good oils), but also cool down faster (from my temp gauge). My theory is because of the better flow through the oil cooler. So, you get faster warm up

I would stick with 0/5/10-30/40 oils - 10-40W seems to be a happy medium.
            0/5-30/40W's would have the best "smooth" feel - but being a thinner oil, your engine might sound a little noiser. It actually feels like the car has more power and I do get better milage with thinner oils.

The other important thing that fueltank mentioned is detergents. Race oils have less detergents so are better for extreme conditions in the short term and not necessarily good for 5000kms.

I was impressed with Motul 8100 5-40W and repsol 0-40w--> felt super smooth - I could tell the difference and yes, I would put any "good" shit through my car in the name of experience

I'd say for our purpose, most oils would be the same, but it's these small differences that would make me choose one product over another. I would now run about town with the motul 300v Chrono or 8100 full synthetics.
            Last edited by euGeR; 25-08-06, 04:29 PM.
            ..:: Disciple of the DDang Driving School :: ..
            - Don't rev at me, I get scared -

Comment

Very good post Euge, thanks for all the info...
              NA is BEST

59.4 QR Spint - Qld's Quickest DC5R

Comment

Mmmm any decent oil should be good enough if you change it often enough....

I use Mobil 1 10W-30 (made in the US - much much better quality than aussei made Mobil 1)
                Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #002

EVO IX FOR SALE:
                http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=6115

Comment

Royal purple 10W-40 rocks!!

hehe
                  Last edited by Justified; 25-08-06, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jingers View Post
                    honda feo
                    ^^ im with stupid

Comment

honda feo ftw
                      eckoflyte

Comment

Elf Excellium GP 5w 40

Comment

Honda FEO 10w-30

Comment

To those using Honda FEO, what sort of oil temp are you guys getting at the track ? Please specify whether you have an oil cooler setup.
                            I am a lesbian trapped inside a male body

Comment

im using honda feo 10W-30, no oil cooler, defi gauges, once the oil reaches just under 130degC i do a cool down lap or two and pit in..
                              "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

Originally posted by vtml View Post
                                To those using Honda FEO, what sort of oil temp are you guys getting at the track ? Please specify whether you have an oil cooler setup.
                                That could be a whole new thread - around 110C with oil cooler

----------------------------
                                There's also two more oils I would try

Royal Purple and schaeffer
                                These oils are harder to get (I couldn't get schaeffer in time for my last change)

These are oils that have good results in terms of anti wear/detergents/consistency of the oil throughout its life - on bobistheoilguy.com. You can leverage some of the results of provided by other peoples testing.
                                ..:: Disciple of the DDang Driving School :: ..
                                - Don't rev at me, I get scared -

Comment

Working...
                                X