Best Oil for our beloved Hondas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ahofnar View Post
    You guys should really take a look at that link i posted on page 26. It explains oil completely. .
    i think it was also covered quite well here:

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...l=1#post226574

All oils are actually the same thickness once at operating temperature. The only thing that viscosity measures is the thickness of oil when it is cold.
    you may need to consider revising this simplification, it is not quite right

re-read page 2 of BITOG
    Last edited by tinkerbell; 21-02-14, 01:37 PM.
    ... retired/

Comment

a quick reminder to posters that this thread is in the CITR "technical section" and thus has some special rules:

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...-SPECIAL-RULES
      ... retired/

Comment

It was just an attention grabber, Tinkerbell. It was a 'push' in the right direction . I had a feeling someone was going to say that, but i didnt want to get into everything when someone has already done so....especially when that person is way smarter than me.

Comment

Originally posted by ahofnar View Post
          It was just an attention grabber, Tinkerbell. It was a 'push' in the right direction . I had a feeling someone was going to say that, but i didnt want to get into everything when someone has already done so....especially when that person is way smarter than me.
          yeah, i understand what you were trying to do, but trying to oversimplify things sometimes is unhelpful.

i think masterscyth did an OK job at simplifying it, but i don't believe there is any 'one-liner' that you can use regarding oil...

except - 'buy the best you can afford' perhaps?

i have used dozens of types of oil, both for racing and street driving - but i found that as you pay more, you get better oil.

same as with tyres.
          ... retired/

Comment

Best Oil for our beloved Hondas

is hths relevant factor for daily driving? i dont quite understand what it is.

also, why do ppl say we dont need 0w-x cos we live in australia? some winter mornings are icy cold with frost on windshield. surely thin oil really helps with startup.

like how bitog chap3 suggest that we need thin oil for startup <10cps
            Last edited by hello; 21-02-14, 03:51 PM.

Comment

^i agree here, I live in northern Nsw, only 90mins to the Qld border, we get as low as -8 in winter with -4 a regular occurrence, if that's not deserving of a 0w-30 I don't know what is
              02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Unsure if this has been posted before but GL Lubricants in Sydney also sells Mobil1 oil filter. A possible alternative to mugen or k&n oil filters...if u like good quality filters.

Comment

Originally posted by hello View Post
                  is hths relevant factor for daily driving? i dont quite understand what it is.

also, why do ppl say we dont need 0w-x cos we live in australia? some winter mornings are icy cold with frost on windshield.
                  lol, when i had to race up at Tamworth (Oakburn) - i had to put proper coolant with anti-freeze (instead of distilled water) in my cooling system so it didnt freeze overnight!!!

so yeah- Australia DOES have a variety of climates to account for
                  ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by caneye View Post
                    Unsure if this has been posted before but GL Lubricants in Sydney also sells Mobil1 oil filter. A possible alternative to mugen or k&n oil filters...if u like good quality filters.
                    but you can get such filters anywhere - GL Lubricants (dunno if you work for them??) are not the only supplier...
                    ... retired/

Comment

Nah .. just visited their warehouse recently, first time ever.
                      haven't seem any shops stocking them (without buying online).

Repco & SCA appear to have Ryco oil filters only.

Comment

Hey all, what oil viscosity do you recommend for a 50000km accord for daily use? Planning to change the oil to see whether i can improve fuel economy. Cheers

Comment

whatever Honda recommends for it.
                          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by delusional View Post
                            Hey all, what oil viscosity do you recommend for a 50000km accord for daily use? Planning to change the oil to see whether i can improve fuel economy. Cheers
                            Try using a 5w-30 or 5w-40 - either nulon, elf, royal purple or motul, go for the better brands

Comment

Thanks. That 5month bump

Comment

Working...
                              X