No announcement yet.

Best Oil for our beloved Hondas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys... I don't think anyone mentioned this in this thread, but has anyone tried Castrol Edge Sport 5w30 in their car?

Just looking at alternatives of full synthetic in my car... and mainly for street use only. For $50 a bottle of 5L, seems like a bargain... do they hold up well in a Type-R?

Comment

i've never had a burning issue in my b16a2, roughly about 150-160000km

trialled motul8100 5-40, very good oil

currently using castrol gold sport magnatec 0-40w also a very good at $5L/$58 on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by rayDC2R View Post
        Hey guys... I don't think anyone mentioned this in this thread, but has anyone tried Castrol Edge Sport 5w30 in their car?

Just looking at alternatives of full synthetic in my car... and mainly for street use only. For $50 a bottle of 5L, seems like a bargain... do they hold up well in a Type-R?
        Yes, it's very good stuff. I use Edge 5W-30 in my car for street, and been using it for years.

Originally posted by ChargeR
        Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by rayDC2R View Post

5w30 very good, slippery oil even though not a true synthetic, great value at $50/5L and and real bargain at $30/5L at SCA on sale few times a year.

used it on our dc2r, prob burnt 0.5L at the end of 5000km usage. Engine feels very responsive with this oil.

replaced it with Mobil 1 5w50, slightly less responsive and burnt about 0.3L at the end of 5000km usage.

bought Motul Chrono 10w40 to try next.

All depends on your perf, budget and how hard you drive your car I guess. For my eg b16a I use mostly for track, I use Castrol 10w60 ester based oil.
          Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

How isn't edge a true synthetic oil?

Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

The Edge 5w30 is a group III hydrocracked mineral oil, which is much cheaper to produce than say a group IV PAO oil such as the Edge 0w40 oil. Also known as the Castrol Softec in the USA market, highly regarded as a budget synthetic, energy conserving oil where long life rating for late Euro cars is not required.

btw people often get the impression Castrol Edge=synthetic, while the 5w30, 0w40 and 10w60 are synthetic oil, the 25w50 Edge is still a mineral oil for the aus/american V8s and a rebranded Castrol GP50 from many years ago.
              Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

Awesome!!! Thanks for the explantion man. I have heard this before too, but no one has given reasons.

Comment

Ok Ive read through all 15 pages. Every one has mixed revue's.. I dont under stand how you guys say that castrol edge 5w-30 isnt full synthetic?? please explain and with price no isue and car on and off track and me with heavy foot. What is the best oil 2 use.
                  sigpic
                  128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    Ok Ive read through all 15 pages. Every one has mixed revue's.. I dont under stand how you guys say that castrol edge 5w-30 isnt full synthetic?? please explain and with price no isue and car on and off track and me with heavy foot. What is the best oil 2 use.
                    Elf 10W50 , motul Turbolite or a high quality Mobil1 oil

Comment

please explain and with price no isue and car on and off track and me with heavy foot. What is the best oil 2 use.
                      Redline 10W-40

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=5&pcid=21
                      ... retired/

Comment

I dont under stand how you guys say that castrol edge 5w-30 isnt full synthetic?? .
                        In ausralia it is legal for these companies to label their products as fully synthetic if it is at least 60% synthetic. Go and havea look at the oil. You will see that it is brown like most mineral oils. Then compare that to a real synthetic oil like redline or motul 300v. You will see that they are a bright colour like blue, red, yellow. Not the brown. They also have a candyish smell to them. it's also why they cost so much more when they are the same weight and both apparently "synthetic"
                        sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Oh makes sense.. Thanks guys
                          sigpic
                          128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

i usee edge 0w40.. i think its fully synthetic
                            Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
                            Flickr
                            my car blog - Have a read
                            my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

Comment

Originally posted by crashprash View Post
                              i usee edge 0w40.. i think its fully synthetic
                              If it's under 80 bucks for 4lt i doubt it very much.
                              sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Didz View Post
                                If it's under 80 bucks for 4lt i doubt it very much.
                                It's usually $70 for 5 litres and it is a full synthetic oil.

http://www.castroledge.com.au/product/product_0w40.php
                                Last edited by freakygeek; 02-12-10, 04:33 PM.
                                | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Working...
                                X