Best Oil for our beloved Hondas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
    It's usually $70 for 5 litres and it is a full synthetic oil.

http://www.castroledge.com.au/product/product_0w40.php
    Only according to law. Like i've stated before. It is not an ester synthetic oil. It is a mineral synthetic blended oil (or technically speaking, a group III oil base). The ONLY real synthetic oil from castrol is the Syntec 0w-30 which is made in Germany.

Of course if you wish to be naive then that is of course, your prerogative. But the reality is that only law makes it "Fully Synthetic" Formulation tells another story. Redline, certain Amsoil products and of course, Motul 300v are the real deal.

How this happened is because Castrol branded their oils are synthetic and Mobil attempted to sue Castrol for making false claims. Mobil lost it's case. This has allowed various companies to stamp their blended mineral oil as "fully synthetic" these group 3 oils are NOT true synthetic oils.
    Last edited by Didz; 02-12-10, 09:33 PM.
    sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

so is the mobil oil Full synthetic??
      sigpic
      128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Mobil 1 5W-30 full synthetic..... Is this a con or legit???
        sigpic
        128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

I know it used to be legit. Some people think that Mobil decided to go soft after losing and changed to a similar blend to Castrol as it is cheaper to produce. I honestly do not know. I do know that 300v is a similar cost to Mobil 1 gold and is definitely the real deal.

The question you should be asking yourself is, do you need such a "high quality" oil? If you drive you car day to day on the street, then the answer is more than likely a no. These semi synthetic oils are still "better" than standard mineral oils but the alternative to move to the genuine stuff means to spend substantially more money on a product which arguably makes no difference in day to day driving.

Comment

ok alot 2 think of.. thanks
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Didz View Post
              Only according to law. Like i've stated before. It is not an ester synthetic oil. It is a mineral synthetic blended oil (or technically speaking, a group III oil base). The ONLY real synthetic oil from castrol is the Syntec 0w-30 which is made in Germany.

Of course if you wish to be naive then that is of course, your prerogative. But the reality is that only law makes it "Fully Synthetic" Formulation tells another story. Redline, certain Amsoil products and of course, Motul 300v are the real deal.

How this happened is because Castrol branded their oils are synthetic and Mobil attempted to sue Castrol for making false claims. Mobil lost it's case. This has allowed various companies to stamp their blended mineral oil as "fully synthetic" these group 3 oils are NOT true synthetic oils.
              Yes, I know about Ester synthetic vs. Group III oil base stock etc. But in reality the fact is that you would never want to use a product such as 300V in your engine in a daily driven vehicle as the oil does not have the required detergent / longlife additive properties of a typical blended synthetic. It is a race oil, not a 'street' oil.

You have a point and you are correct, but just because it is an ester synthetic oil does not mean that you should be using it for your circumstances.
              | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

The question you should be asking yourself is, do you need such a "high quality" oil? If you drive you car day to day on the street, then the answer is more than likely a no. These semi synthetic oils are still "better" than standard mineral oils but the alternative to move to the genuine stuff means to spend substantially more money on a product which arguably makes no difference in day to day driving.
                And do you spend more on an oil which could actually be *worse* for your engine in day to day driving conditions?

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

I have not mentioned anywhere that it is the "be all, end all" I personally have OEM Honda oil in my DC5R. A couple of weeks ago I used it at Winton raceway. Previous times I have used Motul 8100 excess. Did i notice a difference? Since I do not have gauges which tellme temps and pressures, it's hard to tell. I did notice more oil loss from the OEM. Can it be conclusive? No as I was also using semi slicks as opposed to street tyres.

I recommend the manufacturers standard or better. Like I said, I used Motul 8100 excess (not genuine synthetic) prior to the OEM oil and used that for 3 years and had no problems. My car has fairly high kays and runs like a charm and puts the power down fairly well. I put this down to proper maintenance and servicing rather than spending top dollar on oils which may not be necessary.

Comment

Castrol Edge 0W40 is a group IV PAO oil
                    Castrol Edge 5w30 is a hydrocracked group III oil
                    Castrol Edge 10W60 is an ester based oil

so you can argue the 5w30 isnt a real synthetic oil but the 0w40 and 10w60 most certainly are.
                    Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

Originally posted by EG30 View Post

so you can argue the 5w30 isnt a real synthetic oil but the 0w40 and 10w60 most certainly are.
                      Yeah I read that somewhere as well. As long as it's the one stamped with made in germany.

Comment

Originally posted by EG30 View Post

I went to a Castrol product information night (I work for a BMW dealer and we use Castrol lubricants for all BMWs) and I remember that there was a significant difference between the 0w40 Edge product and the 5w30 Edge. Thanks for clarifying this!

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
                          I went to a Castrol product information night (I work for a BMW dealer and we use Castrol lubricants for all BMWs) and I remember that there was a significant difference between the 0w40 Edge product and the 5w30 Edge. Thanks for clarifying this!
                          yes sure is, edge 0w40 is a longlife oil compliant to the lastest BMW LL spec and M-Benz 229.5 spec. The BMW dealer in Perth uses Castrol softec 5w30 in bulk as their main fill which is LL01 compliant, and meant to be a premium version of the edge 5w30, or at least the higher certification anyway lol.
                          Proudly no longer a member of any WA based Honda forums.

Comment

Yes, we use LL01 as our main fill for petrols, and LL04 (ACEA C3 certified) for diesels.

Comment

Ok i feel like a weird posting in this thread since its been awhile since its been active.

But i just would like some advice on my next oil change for my DC2R.
                              It's coming up to 150,000km and for the last few oil changes i've been using Royal Purple and Hamp oil filters.
                              Now the car is burning a little oil. But i've been told that Hamp oil filters aren't too great for daily use and OEM is better for this. Oil turns pretty dark mind you from the original purple.
                              So next service i'll looking to use an OEM filter and possibly Royal Purple again or Redline.

I use to use Motul Turbolight which i found pretty good but made the transition to Royal Purple as I was advised it was a really good oil. So tried it ever since and been quite happy, as i found it to be a bit more of a consistent performer through difference conditions (eg temps).

Now my question is bascially what would be advised to use for a car that is used daily and burns a little oil?
                              Stick if Royal Purple and an OEM oil filter? or give Redline a crack?
                              Also any opinions on magnetic drain bolts? any good at all?

Comment

Go back to OEM Filters, try Royal Purple again, if no good then possibly change back to Motul. BTW tony, its grosso lol

I used Mugen Filters on my DC5 =)

Comment

Working...
                                X