The E85 Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pizzo321 View Post
    lol what? bias about what? that made no sense to me..
    The main contributors so far in this thread are from the BYP boys.. and your car has been tuned by them

Anyway, please feel free to answer Norm's question.

If there are any other E85 experts out there, please feel free to chime in
    ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
      The main contributors so far in this thread are from the BYP boys.. and your car has been tuned by them

Anyway, please feel free to answer Norm's question.

If there are any other E85 experts out there, please feel free to chime in
      Thanks mate i understand now

But for instance,lets say my E85 wasnt done by BYP and my tune wasnt done by BYP..a trusted tuner would be able to make gains from E85 if they knew what they are doing

Now Norm, sorry i didnt understand you i have only been on E85 for not even one tank,if you would like me to keep note on my fuel usage for each tank id be more then happy to do so

Comment

Thanks mate i understand now

But for instance,lets say my E85 wasnt done by BYP and my tune wasnt done by BYP..a trusted tuner would be able to make gains from E85 if they knew what they are doing
        of course they could, no one is disputing that are they?

tuners have known about E85 for longer than BYP has been around!

Now Norm, sorry i didnt understand you i have only been on E85 for not even one tank,if you would like me to keep note on my fuel usage for each tank id be more then happy to do so
        if you perhaps could monitor, record and log your experience (since you only just started it) then this empirical evidence, rather than the colloquial evidence, of the impacts on your car of running E85 will help others understand what effect it will have on how they run their cars...

your:

+1 for E85

Instead of costing me $62 for Fuel it instead cost me $42!
        comment indicates you might not have the full information about this fuel?

and yes - if i personally lived 30 seconds from a servo with E85, never did long trips, loved the disgusting smell, dyno tuned my car frequently and wanted a 'little' bit more power, i'd be running E85 as well...
        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by benson View Post

In regards to cost, like in my other post, injectors and a E85 tune.
          um,

injectors - 400
          programable ECU - 1000
          dyno tune - 400ish

so around 1500ish really?
          ... retired/

Comment

Pizzo321 great to hear your fuel usage figures, so u have lost about 100km per tank compared to petrol? please do keep us informed of the experiences u have good and bad.

Tinkerbell u seem negitive on e85, is this due to your or known experience? Is it a cost to benifit plus the availbilty limits problem?

I am not wishing to upset anyone just very interested in this topic and looking for real experiences!

Comment

Originally posted by wpg81 View Post
              Tinkerbell u seem negitive on e85, is this due to your or known experience? Is it a cost to benifit plus the availbilty limits problem?
              if i HAD tried E85 - then i would not be negative about it, would I? (or wouldn't admit it if i was unhappy, right?)

but i have never tried it (sounds like some secret drug, lol) my engine is 12.5:1 CR and might benefit from it, but really not available enough for me to put it in a car i drive lots of places where it is not available...

and watching guys pouring whole 20L jerrys in just to do a session on the track kinda seems a bit annoying too!

so yeah - cost/benefit for me is slightly on the 'not for me' side...

my car runs fine on 98 and always will, unless it stops being a daily driver... then i will use E85...
              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post

comment indicates you might not have the full information about this fuel?
                Nah i was right..it was 1.12 a litre..cost me $42

Comment

um,

injectors - 400
                  programable ECU - 1000
                  dyno tune - 400ish

so around 1500ish really?
                  That was based on an assumption that the customer already has a tunable ECU

Everyone is entitled to use what fuel they choose too. I would rather deal with the hassle of getting E85 especially if you have a built motor. Using a syphon isnt that hard to pour the 20litres in. Thank god for that invention

I havent heard any complaints from anyone if they've made the switch to E85.
                  BYP Racing & Developments
                  Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
                  STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Agree with Norm in that sense, if it's readily available for you to use where you live then yes go straight ahead if you can deal with its cons.

Some things are just not so practical, e85 is one of these things, even for such simple gains.

Like he said, cars being used daily.

Comment

Nah i was right..it was 1.12 a litre..cost me $42
                      but the fuel wont take you as far, so it is a wrong comparison just to look at how much it costs you to fill a tank...
                      ... retired/

Comment

Tink, with both petrol an e85 doing 600km (about one tank on petrol for a dc5) using pizzo321's fuel figures its ABOUT $10 better off on e85. That means you need to do 90,000km to recover cost of injectors ecu and tune $1500. having said that there are not many perfomance mods that give you more power, and will VERY SLOWLY pay its self off.

Comment

but the fuel wont take you as far, so it is a wrong comparison just to look at how much it costs you to fill a tank...
                          This is going to sound really off-topic but it's the same idea.
                          Same concept as when people switch from petrol to using Gas.
                          The concept of thinking they save is a lie as they are filling up more frequent then users who are using petrol.

Comment

yeah, but no one is going to use E85 to save money.

they do it for engine performance improvement only...
                            ... retired/

Comment

yeah, but no one is going to use E85 to save money.

they do it for engine performance improvement only...
                              +1 for this comment, i did it for performance only but in saying that i just did 510km on my first E85 tank with 6L to go..(i never go anywhere near Empty)

Comment

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
                                This is going to sound really off-topic but it's the same idea.
                                Same concept as when people switch from petrol to using Gas.
                                The concept of thinking they save is a lie as they are filling up more frequent then users who are using petrol.
                                Not really man,my mate used to fill up once every 2 weeks using Gas and that was about 1 year ago,only costing him about $25 to fill up

on petrol he was filing up every week nd 2 days or so..costing him $60 odd

Comment

Working...
                                X