The E85 Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Symphorced View Post
    Well if you'll be spending thousands of dollars building up a K20 engine, how can you not justify changing the fuel lines, injectors and pump for that much more gains?
    But then the car still needs to be setup for the application of E85 which is a decision you have to make, it comes down to your own choice doesn't it? From the dyno Benson just posted a few posted back, there's a 6kw difference?

So for the extra how in much dollars in parts and labour to fit the new lines, pump etc (As if you don't, it will corrode your stock lines) you gain an extra 6kws which can be debatable but i guess it is also possible the more "built" the car is, then you'd maybe see a more significant improvement possibly 10kw? Still not worth it for the extra coin IMO, rather spend it elsewhere.
    I'd like to see a dyno on 100RON or 110RON back to back.
    Last edited by MYDC5R; 26-12-11, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MYDC5R View Post
      But then the car still needs to be setup for the application of E85 which is a decision you have to make, it comes down to your own choice doesn't it? From the dyno Benson just posted a few posted back, there's a 6kw difference?

So for the extra how in much dollars in parts and labour to fit the new lines, pump etc (As if you don't, it will corrode your stock lines) you gain an extra 6kws which can be debatable but i guess it is also possible the more "built" the car is, then you'd maybe see a more significant improvement possibly 10kw? Still not worth it for the extra coin IMO, rather spend it elsewhere.
      I'd like to see a dyno on 100RON or 110RON back to back.
      Benson also stated that he only changed injectors and pump in his Evo, he made no mention of lines at all in his post - And that's 50k km worth of street and track driving, so that would be ATLEAST a years worth of driving. There is also a considerable gain in midrange also (Not just top end), and it starts making more power from around 4500RPM, my guess this is on a K20? Also revs out more (Not sure if this would be the rev limiter being set higher). Also there is a MASSIVE gain in torque from 4.5k-6k RPM

Also where do you intend on getting the 100RON or 110RON petrol from? I have never seen either sold in Brisbane, but have seen a fair few sell E85.

Comment

Originally posted by 45SET View Post
        Benson also stated that he only changed injectors and pump in his Evo, he made no mention of lines at all in his post - And that's 50k km worth of street and track driving, so that would be ATLEAST a years worth of driving. There is also a considerable gain in midrange also (Not just top end), and it starts making more power from around 4500RPM, my guess this is on a K20? Also revs out more (Not sure if this would be the rev limiter being set higher). Also there is a MASSIVE gain in torque from 4.5k-6k RPM

Also where do you intend on getting the 100RON or 110RON petrol from? I have never seen either sold in Brisbane, but have seen a fair few sell E85.
        110 RON is readily available through Independent sellers in 200 litres drums and 100RON is readily available across United Service Stations now, go back about i think 2-3 pages and the link i posted is there.
        I would honestly hate to see the condition of them fuel lines as its known to corrode them and im sure the boys at BYP know this, but hey if you can make the stock lines last till it's time to change them, i guess why not?

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
          I think BYP poated somewhere on ozhonda a dyno graph of their dc2r on pump98. And then another graph displaying the new tune on e85. It is definately the way to go since they do track time all the time. I guess its all down to personal preference. As said in another thread, laptimes do all the talking.
          Alex, that was pump E85 (E-Flex) VS Race E85, my 98 to E-Flex was a much bigger diffrence.

You can also buy Race E85 in 200L drums.

Comment

I personally havent seen a fuel line corrode.

Simply change injectors and get a retune on e85

If the car is a more track focus, i'd recommend using the V8 supercar e85 ($2.5/litre). You'll even make a little more power!
            BYP Racing & Developments
            Built. Tuned. Driven
            Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Originally posted by 45SET View Post
              and it starts making more power from around 4500RPM, my guess this is on a K20? Also revs out more (Not sure if this would be the rev limiter being set higher). Also there is a MASSIVE gain in torque from 4.5k-6k RPM.
              Thats my sheet Robi and yes K20

Comment

E85 DOES corrode aluminium if not anodised - so if your running a cheap non anodised fuel rail, bye bye in a few years. Otherwise, the rest of the components are fine..

Why wouldn't you switch to E85? It burns around 200deg cooler than gasoline, contains oxygen in chemical structure, reduces emissions and more importantly, with the aid of cooler burning, the octane rating is higher than gasoline.

110 race fuel on pump? No chance. 110 race fuel bought in a drum? You must have a wallet that is ridiculously thick. E85 for less money can give you the same results, if not better.

The only issue I don't like with E85 is the activation energy is so high, hence the cold start issues, once the fuel is slightly heated, you have no problems.. some people preheat the fuel a little to get things going - but a good tune should see that ruled out.

On paper, E85 vs 100RON gasoline - E85 is a better choice....if someone doesn't make more power when switching to E85, what does that tell you?... the engine isn't knock limited to begin with!!!! (small bore engines - common wake up call)

Benny - considering you are a tuner, I find your first statement appalling... "not only did it increase in power, but it increased in torque" - I'm not going to assume this is a mistake.. as a tuner you should know better. How can power increase yet torque decrease at the same point on the graph? You do understand that horsepower is a function of torque and RPM yes? If RPM is constant, torque must increase for power to increase.......(HP = TQ * RPM / 5252)

MYDC5R - Where is all this negativity coming from? I don't know who is feeding you this advice, but they have a serious issue against E85 it seems.

Benny, you've got lots of labrats so to speak with your new clan, get one of the boys on E100! CSR can sell it - medical grade.

Comment

Originally posted by MechanicalChris View Post
                  E85 DOES corrode aluminium if not anodised - so if your running a cheap non anodised fuel rail, bye bye in a few years. Otherwise, the rest of the components are fine..

Why wouldn't you switch to E85? It burns around 200deg cooler than gasoline, contains oxygen in chemical structure, reduces emissions and more importantly, with the aid of cooler burning, the octane rating is higher than gasoline.

110 race fuel on pump? No chance. 110 race fuel bought in a drum? You must have a wallet that is ridiculously thick. E85 for less money can give you the same results, if not better.

The only issue I don't like with E85 is the activation energy is so high, hence the cold start issues, once the fuel is slightly heated, you have no problems.. some people preheat the fuel a little to get things going - but a good tune should see that ruled out.

On paper, E85 vs 100RON gasoline - E85 is a better choice....if someone doesn't make more power when switching to E85, what does that tell you?... the engine isn't knock limited to begin with!!!! (small bore engines - common wake up call)

Benny - considering you are a tuner, I find your first statement appalling... "not only did it increase in power, but it increased in torque" - I'm not going to assume this is a mistake.. as a tuner you should know better. How can power increase yet torque decrease at the same point on the graph? You do understand that horsepower is a function of torque and RPM yes? If RPM is constant, torque must increase for power to increase.......(HP = TQ * RPM / 5252)

MYDC5R - Where is all this negativity coming from? I don't know who is feeding you this advice, but they have a serious issue against E85 it seems.

Benny, you've got lots of labrats so to speak with your new clan, get one of the boys on E100! CSR can sell it - medical grade.
                  No-one is feeding me this advice thats what you guys are failing to see. I always have said the boys at BYP are the ones with more knowledge then me but IMO i wouldn't swap to E85 for a daily run car (i don't see the need for it even if it's tracked minimally) nor do i see a need for circuit use but this is only my opinion. Will wait and see what happens in the new year.

By the way, i do have a thick wallet, very thick, i don't work ridiculous shifts for no reasons so the costs to get my DC5 where i want it to be are will never outweigh my beliefs but as i said and as Benny said, will discuss it with the builder but i'll be against E85 useage

Comment

Give me some money then!

Comment

haha no thanks, lol, i work hard enough for myself and my missus buddy.

Comment

Fuel consumption E85 for comparison.

Note - Car EVO 8 MR 280kw atw.

E85
                        Around town - 320-340km per tank (48-50L) ~ 14.7 L/100km
                        Freeway - 370-420km per tank (48-50L)~ 11.9L /100km

PUMP FUEL

Around town - 360-400 per tank (48-50) ~12.5L/100km
                        Freeway - 450-520 per tank (48-50L) ~9.6L/100km
                        Built. Tuned. Driven

Comment

Originally posted by MechanicalChris View Post

It might sound a little appalling to a niche group, but in the context of this thread i think it was relevant

But yeah please dont get too difficult, lets start off with the basic
                          Sales - Performance parts - Tuning - Race Prep - Engine Builds - Gearbox Upgrade - Car Set-up - Consultancy

Email - benny@bypracing.com
                          STREET - TRACK - DRAG

Comment

Jimmy this is CITR not evo oz lol

Comment

Honda owner a pansy to switch to E85 for daily.
                              Built. Tuned. Driven

Comment

Evo owner pansy to drive with no electronic aids.

Comment

Working...
                                X