Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe best size for street DC5s are 17x9 front and 17x8 rear with 255 and 235 respectively. It gives a nice increase in traction with minimal tram lining and will fit with only minor guard work. Tom has 275s on his car I believe but he's a crazy guy. I ain't that ballsy. I am really keen to benchmark his corner speed with the 275s compared to 255s but that would involve a set of Hoosiers in 255.

Comment

Originally posted by vuongster View Post
      I agree with the both of you, wasn't planning on getting it for my car. Just interested in what kind of work they needed to do to get those sizes on.

On another note, I'm interested in a few wheels floating around:

R 18x8.5+45 245/40/18
      F 18x9.5+45 275/35/18

I'm assuming I'd have to change the tyres as they're pretty wide. But how do the actual wheel widths and offsets sound? What tyres would you guys recommend?

P.S Is there a good online rim width calculator that allows you to play with offsets and widths to see how far it sticks out? I remember using one before but can't seem to find it again.
      Honestly the specs you mention are a little out of my realm of experience, the offsets are much higher than anything I have experience with and I really can't comment on fitment except that you might fit them without rolled guards at the rear and the front wheels might hit your strut/coilover.

The width of those tyres isn't too bad it is the diameter that is the problem, they are basically the same diameter as my 275/40R17s which are a stupidly tall tyre for a DC5.

This is the offset calculator that I often use: LINK. This is the tyre sizing calculator that I use: LINK.

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
      I believe best size for street DC5s are 17x9 front and 17x8 rear with 255 and 235 respectively. It gives a nice increase in traction with minimal tram lining and will fit with only minor guard work. Tom has 275s on his car I believe but he's a crazy guy. I ain't that ballsy. I am really keen to benchmark his corner speed with the 275s compared to 255s but that would involve a set of Hoosiers in 255.
      Hoosier only make a 255/45R17 sadly not a 40 profile. I would love it if they did make a 255/40 but I probably still wouldn't have purchased it when I got mine. I basically did it to see what would happen and because no-one else would. I don't think the width was a bad choice but the height and diameter are a severe compromise. I think a 255 could be faster on my car but the 275 could also work in certain situations. One advantage of my throbbing great big tyres is that they maintained consistent performance even through a long session.

Anyway I don't believe pics of my track wheel and tyre configuration exist in this thread so here they are:

F: 17x9.5 +15 with 275/40 Hoosier R6
      R: 17x8.5 +30 with 245/40 Hoosier R6

Comment

Hoosiers are pricey tyres

What offsets would you recommend for those widths? What kind of guard mods are you referring to btw? Also I'm assuming this is for a lowered car right?

Thanks for the input btw
        DC5S

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post

Hoosier only make a 255/45R17 sadly not a 40 profile. I would love it if they did make a 255/40 but I probably still wouldn't have purchased it when I got mine. I basically did it to see what would happen and because no-one else would. I don't think the width was a bad choice but the height and diameter are a severe compromise. I think a 255 could be faster on my car but the 275 could also work in certain situations. One advantage of my throbbing great big tyres is that they maintained consistent performance even through a long session.

Anyway I don't believe pics of my track wheel and tyre configuration exist in this thread so here they are:

F: 17x9.5 +15 with 275/40 Hoosier R6
          R: 17x8.5 +30 with 245/40 Hoosier R6

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2302/wompa.jpg

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/349...cd016c9o11.jpg
          Setup looks hot! Looks like some major guard work though, flaring right? I don't want to have to do that much guard work.

How about 17x9 + 35 on fronts and 17x8 +35 on rear? With tyres probably 255/40 and 235/45 respectively. Tyres are just what are on the rims atm so it could be changed I suppose. And forgive my lack of knowledge here but how does the height and diameter affect performance?
          DC5S

Comment

Setup looks hot! Looks like some major guard work though, flaring right? I don't want to have to do that much guard work.

How about 17x9 + 35 on fronts and 17x8 +35 on rear? With tyres probably 255/40 and 235/45 respectively. Tyres are just what are on the rims atm so it could be changed I suppose. And forgive my lack of knowledge here but how does the height and diameter affect performance?
            Yep my front guards are flared (poorly ) but I did fit the 255/40 on the 9.5 +15 at the front with no guard mods at all. It was only the 275s that required the flaring because they are huge.

That 17" setup you propose would work great and the tyres on them should fit fine. The only mods that you are likely to need are a slight roll of the rear guards, which may not be necessary depending on ride height and alignment, and possibly removing some of the fenderliner clips or cutting the front fenderliner. Nearly that exact setup is posted further up by TeMp.

An overly large tyre diameter affects performance in a number of ways:
            • Longer gearing which if I had significant power might be of benefit. But I don't.
            • Raised centre of gravity. Never good for handling.
            • I had to raise the car to maintain suspension travel because the taller tyre consumed about 10mm of my bump travel. Again this raises the centre of gravity and loses me hardparker points.
            • The wheel and tyre package will have a greater moment of inertia due to the larger diameter and hence will be harder to accelerate.

Comment

Yep my front guards are flared (poorly ) but I did fit the 255/40 on the 9.5 +15 at the front with no guard mods at all. It was only the 275s that required the flaring because they are huge.

That 17" setup you propose would work great and the tyres on them should fit fine. The only mods that you are likely to need are a slight roll of the rear guards, which may not be necessary depending on ride height and alignment, and possibly removing some of the fenderliner clips or cutting the front fenderliner. Nearly that exact setup is posted further up by TeMp.

An overly large tyre diameter affects performance in a number of ways:
              • Longer gearing which if I had significant power might be of benefit. But I don't.
              • Raised centre of gravity. Never good for handling.
              • I had to raise the car to maintain suspension travel because the taller tyre consumed about 10mm of my bump travel. Again this raises the centre of gravity and loses me hardparker points.
              • The wheel and tyre package will have a greater moment of inertia due to the larger diameter and hence will be harder to accelerate.
              Wow, x9.5 +15 on the front without guard mods. Never though the dc5 could handle so much. Am interested in a set of 17x9 +20 all around, but I had a look on the previous pages and I think "aidannn" tried 17x9 +18 and it looked like it was a difficult fit. I understand that it'll fit the fronts but how about the rears? In regards to tyres probably 255 and 235 again although I'm unsure how a 235 would look on a rim of that width and offset.

Thanks for the info on diameter btw
              DC5S

Comment

Tom I think you should also state how much camber you are running at the front in order to fit the the rim spec you are running.

As I'm quite sure most people wouldn't be willing to run that kind of camber for a daily.

They're not as hardparked as you are.

Comment

hmm ok i will look at 17x8's +35

Comment

Originally posted by TeMp View Post
                    Tom I think you should also state how much camber you are running at the front in order to fit the the rim spec you are running.

As I'm quite sure most people wouldn't be willing to run that kind of camber for a daily.

Pffft. Go neg or go home...

Comment

Wheel is slightly turned. That is cheating . Looks great guy, I haven't got an invite to your shakedown at Wakey yet though?

Wow, x9.5 +15 on the front without guard mods. Never though the dc5 could handle so much. Am interested in a set of 17x9 +20 all around, but I had a look on the previous pages and I think "aidannn" tried 17x9 +18 and it looked like it was a difficult fit. I understand that it'll fit the fronts but how about the rears? In regards to tyres probably 255 and 235 again although I'm unsure how a 235 would look on a rim of that width and offset.

Thanks for the info on diameter btw
                      I have no comment on 17x9 +20 except that obviously it will fit but I don't think it will fit with the types of tyre sizes and alignments I would want to run. Running staggered tyres on them will look a little silly as well IMO because there will be obvious stretch at the back and none at the front. If you prefer performance over looks then by all means go for them though, and if you were willing to pull the hell out of your rear guards you could fit them with a 245/40 and a reasonably small amount of camber .

That was with -5ish if I remember correctly . Not too much, I have less now since I took my subframe off to install my sump and I put it back on off centre .

Comment

I have no comment on 17x9 +20 except that obviously it will fit but I don't think it will fit with the types of tyre sizes and alignments I would want to run. Running staggered tyres on them will look a little silly as well IMO because there will be obvious stretch at the back and none at the front. If you prefer performance over looks then by all means go for them though, and if you were willing to pull the hell out of your rear guards you could fit them with a 245/40 and a reasonably small amount of camber .
                        What kind of camber am I looking at to fit those 17x9 +20 (front and back)? I'd rather not run -5 degs like you . And what about 245/40 front and back?

If not, i guess i could run 17x8 and 17x9 +35 like Temp. Still looks good I suppose.
                        DC5S

Comment

ive got x9 +18 on my fronts with a 235/45 ud need about -2.5 or more.

245 will give u some trouble at the rears
                          "as engages in 3rd God himself descends from the heavens and runs behind the car thrusting you forward"

Comment

What kind of camber am I looking at to fit those 17x9 +20 (front and back)? I'd rather not run -5 degs like you . And what about 245/40 front and back?

If not, i guess i could run 17x8 and 17x9 +35 like Temp. Still looks good I suppose.
                            No idea, ask aidannn . It is going to depend mostly on ride height, tyre size and guard modifications. The only way to be sure is to go for it and try and fit them. Or don't .

With a 235/40 and the right guard mods I don't think the camber required will be excessive, hopefully less less than -3.5 with the car lowered to about 330mm from the centre of the wheel to the guard. Again I am just guessing though. -3.5 isn't so much that you will be eating tyres either.

You wouldn't happen to be looking for BBS LMs on Yahoo Auctions would you?

Comment

No idea, ask aidannn . It is going to depend mostly on ride height, tyre size and guard modifications. The only way to be sure is to go for it and try and fit them. Or don't .

With a 235/40 and the right guard mods I don't think the camber required will be excessive, hopefully less less than -3.5 with the car lowered to about 330mm from the centre of the wheel to the guard. Again I am just guessing though. -3.5 isn't so much that you will be eating tyres either.

You wouldn't happen to be looking for BBS LMs on Yahoo Auctions would you?
                              Yeh how did you know? There's quite a lot of them on there, so i might pick up a set of coils first before finding some wheels.

I'd be looking to drop till about 0-1 finger gaps, this would probably slightly hamper handling however atm car's a streeter so looks take priority.
                              DC5S

Comment

Pffft. Go neg or go home...

But that some awesomeness regardless...

Comment

Working...
                                X