Baby Blue E82

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Blue E82

Hey guys, so a few of you know this was coming. just finished 18 days straight at work (had 1 day off in-between) so finally had time to write this up. Anyone economically minded might want to skip the next part, since this was a completely heartfelt decision and quite fiscally irresponsible. During my exam study I was procrastinating changing my DC5. My requirements were RWD, newer than 10 years old, manual, more than 180kw, 2 doors, and within a certain price range. This basically left me with the 370z and the 135i. I was not a fan of the 370z as it was only a 2 seater and has a very tiny boot (same issue for the s2k for me personally as I only want to have 1 car).

The DC5S has served me well over the past 4.5 years and never left me stranded. It still broke my neck every time I walked away from it (still does). I love the car, but I figured we only live once and mortgages are boring. I would love to use my money for travel and actually having a life, but with current competition for surgical training that is not really possible.

I came up with a budget in mind, and listed my car for sale. I had 2 really good buyers with a price I was happy with. But I had not found a replacement and was not going to rush into this. I had to turn them down, and luckily for Alex one of them took his car.

Anyway, I was subscribed to 135i listings on carsales now. My requirements were NOT black (never again), manual coupe, not a cream interior and less than 90,000km. This left a small handful only. I missed out on a really good deal in Brisbane when the dealer used my bid to raise another buyers offer which was really annoying. I felt disheartened for a while until last Friday when I got the listing for my new car. All I saw was the Le Mans blue and I immediately called the seller. He was quite shocked to say the least.

Now here comes the even more irresponsible part, I made an offer and I paid the deposit prior to getting any inspection or even further details about the car. I booked a train for 2am the next morning to Melbourne ( I was doing evening shifts in ICU at the time). I missed the train, and in a moment of panic I booked a flight for 4 hours later. Flew to Melbourne and after a quick test drive I was hooked. I drove it back to Wagga and went to work.

Over the next few days I began to learn the characteristics of the car, it's such a polar opposite of the raw, unaided lightweight honda. This thing feels solid, has so many unnecessary electronics and motors. But goddam it is quick, did a quarter mile time of 13.2 with the steering wheel timer and a 0-100 run of 5.3 off the bat.

the car is tastefully modded with a full service history. 2 of the wheels have minor gutter rash and the front and rear carbon bits have some minor clear coat discolouration. This is one the best examples of the car I have seen in this price range.

Mods are:
    Custom Alcantara trim
    BMW M performance Short Shift Kit
    BMW M performance steering wheel v1
    BMW M pedals and scuff plates
    P3 Guage
    Procede Chip
    Front Kiescher Carbon Fibre Lip
    Rear Carbon Fibre lip spoiler
    Facelift LCI tailights
    H8 Led angle lights
    BMS oil catch can
    Pilot super sport tires rear, and re002 in the front.
    Latest edition of the HFPF

Only have one issue at the moment which I haven't managed to fix, which is the cruise control fails when you go full throttle (even if it's turned off).
    I drove both the DC5 and this back to back yesterday, and honestly it is night and day, there is a quality to this car, and the torque is really amazing. The Honda will surely survive a nuclear bomb, is much more economical and has better clutch feel though.

Overall I am super happy, and can't wait for more adventures in this. Hopefully the dc5 can get sold soon so I can start to breath a little. ClubITR will always be my home, and I will continue to try make it to meets and hang out with you lovely bunch of people.

I will leave you with some pics from today and yesterday. Gave all the cars a quick detail today with Mothers wash and wax, followed by Nanowax.

Last edited by PG_DC5; 12-07-15, 07:03 PM.

"Because in a split second, it's gone" ~Ayrton Senna

Nice buy! I agree mortgages are boring indeed haha.
    1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Congratulations on the new car Preet! Definitely a great upgrade
      Shak's S2000

Comment

Congrats on the new car Preet, does that little hole in the wheel tell you what gear you're in?
        BNR34 Build [SOLD]
        APB DC5R Build [SOLD]
        Daily/Track Civic EG Build [SOLD]
        NSEX

Comment

Thanks guys =)

Originally posted by wongy View Post
          Congrats on the new car Preet, does that little hole in the wheel tell you what gear you're in?
          The 2 bits on each side of it are customisable shift lights. In centre is lap timer, g force metre, quarter mile timer or coolant and air temp. It's pretty awesome haha. The p3 gauge in the right airvent also gives heaps of readouts. It's good protection knowing exhaust gas temp because these cars don't have turbo timers.

Comment

Awesome choice Preet, I love the shape and lines of the 135i, certainly look good in blue to.
            and dude, those steering wheels are a hella fckn expensive option, I tried to talk my old man into getting one on his 235, the go for around $1800us I think

Sent from snoopnugs ringer
            using Tapatalk
            02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Very nice buy Preet!

Cool steering wheel.
              ClubITR | Like

Comment

$1400us

using Tapatalk
                02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

blue is so good
                  Integra Type R
                  Integra Type S
                  S2000

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
                    Awesome choice Preet, I love the shape and lines of the 135i, certainly look good in blue to.
                    and dude, those steering wheels are a hella fckn expensive option, I tried to talk my old man into getting one on his 235, the go for around $1800us I think

using Tapatalk
                    I'm not sure this is worth that much, this was the first version. So I think more like a grand. It is very cool though, the quarter mile timer is epic with the countdown and gives reaction times. I just keep it on the coolant and oil temp. So scared of shit breaking haha

Comment

why copy me for? :P black dc5s -> bmw. Good choice though!

PS. I want that steering wheel.
                      Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
                      Flickr
                      my car blog - Have a read
                      my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

Comment

UPDATE

4 months have passed with this car, racked about 10,000km in total. Very happy with the decision so far, with no real BMW niggles to report. It has made a massive impact on my long-distance driving, torque and comfort for days!

Missing the DC5s handling and bullet-proof factor, but it's always good to move on

Here are some updates:

1. Removed the Procede chip device (wasn't playing nice with the cruise control and I didn't care for the rev-matching)

2. Went and did a stock baseline dyno at Advan Dyno day. Pretty happy with the result, the drop off at the top can be fixed with Walnut blasting.

3. Replaced all 6 coil packs and air+cabin filters for preventative measures, and got a CTEK charger since the Battery was giving me grief earlier. Don't mind the water-spots, there is so much calcium in the water here, even a few drops from the sprinkler ruins your day.

4. Played with the 0-100 setting on the P3 guage
                        and also installed a Stage 1 flash tune (MHD for n54 via Android using a DCAN cable, literally the easiest thing ever and costs less than $300 all up). the time is pre-tune.

5. Upgraded the rear subframe bushings with Whiteline inserts(they are very soft from factory to compensate for the stiff stock run flat tires, and its a quick DIY). Made a noticeable difference over bumps as the car used to "crash over" them

6. Installed Kap Industries fire extinguisher bracket

Last edited by PG_DC5; 04-11-15, 09:05 PM.

Comment

7. Snuck into WTAC to see the final shootout and went on the George St Cruise finale with Cambo and the boys

8. Attended EXE track day.
                          First time in RWD, car did ok, but the brakes were probably the biggest issue and also my own lack of balls. 1:15.2 was the best I could manage before I got a load of CELs from oil starvation to the Vanos Solenoid (codes cleared and all good now). I only stayed in 3rd gear for the entire lap as well since 2nd gear was just too much for me to handle without meeting a wall.

9. Turbosmart Raceport BOV and ER Chargepipe are in the mail chooo chooo fellas

10. Meet my new dog Pepper! She is an Irish Wolfhound Cross from the pound, so cute!

I'll end with some pics from my new 50mm lense (im a bloody noob photographer) and my new vanity plates

Last edited by PG_DC5; 07-11-15, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Nice work Preet with the track day. Sorry I didn't introduce myself mate, didn't know what you looked like haha. Nice pictures too!
                            1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Working...
                            X