Todd's new S2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

splitter design binned
    Last edited by Toddxxx; 08-11-15, 07:59 AM.

Comment

splitter is off the car now and has been replaced by this for daily duties (on rare occasions when it gets driven :P)

not actually sure if ill even use the splitter at the trackday or if ill modify it to fit with the oem lip and use the lip as the air dam
      Last edited by Toddxxx; 08-11-15, 08:35 AM.

Comment

so i had to touch up a few areas on the lip because of scrapes. luckily i had some original silverstone touch up paint that came with the car. this stuff is probably 13 years old :P

got it re mounted on the car and pulled it out for the first time in almost two months for a wash inside and out.

also fitted my half size antenna that has been sitting around. the old stock one was all bent

finally with the help of steven i got the final issue with my defi advance fixed and it now diplays rpm (if i make it) and i have a shift light!
        thanks again man!

should have some big updates over the next two weeks hopefully
        Last edited by Toddxxx; 08-11-15, 09:03 AM.

Comment

That antenna looks much better!
          ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
            That antenna looks much better!
            I agree! Since I got the car and the stock one was bent it's annoyed me sooo much

Comment

Is your seat X or XL? I don't want to get XL And then it not fit haha

Comment

Originally posted by kcl69 View Post
                Is your seat X or XL? I don't want to get XL And then it not fit haha
                You mean L or XL yeah?
                Mine is type L. Too my knowledge genuine brides don't come in sizes S-XL etc only normal size then some come in type L sizing.
                You're coming to wtac yeah? I'll be there so you can test mine then if you want?

Comment

Yeah sorry! Not the best when it comes to seats! Yeah I will for sure deffs want to check out your beast!

Trying to organise with JDMYARD or garage88 on being able to get my seat while I'm there so I can drive back home with it in the daily with some other goodies!

Comment

Garage 88 should have stock and I know JDMYARD did have some shipped in a couple months ago so you should be sweet! Both are within 5-10 minutes of my house haha

Comment

big update number 1

ill start off with a few of the smaller changes then move onto the main one.
                      its the long weekend and i had a few mods planned so the car went up onto stands and sat like this before the fun began

ive always hated the orange haze/reflection the amber indicators make within the housings of the ap1 headights. one possible fix is to buy osram or phillips chrome bulbs and i was actually searching online when i came across an article where a guy simply said "take out your amber indicators and spray them silver..." surely this couldnt work? decided to try it before buying a $40 set of phillips indicators and well it worked haha

before (with orange reflection)

after (without orange reflection)

already had a can of silver spray paint in the garage so cost me $0 and got rid of the annoying orange haze. stoked!

moving on over to the engine bay and i installed a couple more things there

my cusco bmc stopper came and got right onto installing that. quick and easy to assemble/install and should help with brake pedal feel at track days. keen to test it out by itself before i upgrade the whole brake system next year.

if you look closely in that pic youll notice the js racing heatshield is missing (as well as another crucial part that hints wha my next update will be :P). its there to stop direct heat from the header hitting the abs unit/brake and clutch masters and affecting their performance. i bought gold reflect-a-tape for another job and decided to give the heatshield some treatment too.

queen street 24k gold dipped engine parts? :P

and now onto the main update
                      exhaust time!!!

since buying the car i had a specific exhaust in mind and was pretty much set on buying it when the time was right. the exhaust in mind was the js racing 70rs c304 stainless version.
                      the time came and i looked around and found a place to buy it from for a good price, checked reviews etc and was happy with my choice until i came across a post by vyets about his experience with the c304 exhaust. basically he wasnt happy with the quality of the stainless version and reordered the titanium version instead. this was an option but the titanium version is well over $2000 and with titanium being harder to fix etc i was kind of turned off that idea.
                      then by chance and some late night lurking a second option came up. straight away i fell in love and knew i had to get that specific exhaust instead of the js.
                      i loved the look of it (very similar to js 70rs but no dolphin tip), the sound was amazing, the price for what it was was amazing and seeing one before buying showed that the quality was amazing too. best of all it was a semi local product.

and here it is
                      BYP 70mm titanium single exit exhaust

ordered it and it arrived a couple weeks later (much better than the estimated 8-12 weeks delivery for the js exhaust) and i got straight to installing.
                      if youve been following my updates youll remember back at christmas my sister got me a 70mm invidia test pipe well i could finally get around to installing that too.

side by side comparison of the stock exhaust and the new exhaust. by rough calculations (online searching) the stock exhaust and cat come in at 22.5kg and 5.5kg each for a combined weight of 28kg. the new titanium exhaust sits at around 5-6kg and the invidia testpipe weighs 1.8kg for a combined weight of about 7.5kg so a huge weight difference.

it all bolted up nicely and everything was where it needed to go. a bit of adjusting of the hangers etc was required to get the exhaust to sit where i liked it and with any exhaust made for the jap s2k (which has an extra hanger) ill need to make an extra hanger to secure it nice and tight. nothing major though.

how it sits on the rear bar now

youll notice the gold reflective tape again (still need to trim/neaten up but you get the idea) on the rear bar. pretty much every aftermarket 70mm exhaust ive seen on the s2k sits really close to the rear bar and over time/when tracking the bar starts to warp/melt from the heat. hoping this will help make that not happen and protect the rear plastic a bit.

underside all covered too

and thats where were at atm
                      Last edited by Toddxxx; 08-11-15, 09:19 AM.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=3&theater

link should work? someone let me know please
                        doesnt really give justice to how it sounds/how loud it is but yeah. ive only reved it to just under 3 grand so far and already the carport is shaking :P

Comment

There's been a bit of a wait on the second big update as there was a delay on the shipping of my coils.
                          I was hoping they would arrive before the long weekend so I could spend that time tweaking the height etc. Of course that didn't happen so to occupy myself a bit on the monday of the long weekend I decided to install my hardrace driveshaft spacers I've had sitting around for a good 6 months now.

I originally wasn't going to install these until my driveshafts started showing signs of wear (vibrations) but boredom got the best of me and I threw them on (I guess I'll have to buy new driveshafts a little bit sooner now). Only took about half an hour all up. They're the 2 piece design so it makes the job easy.

All installed

Finally on Tuesday morning my coils arrived and I got straight to installing them!

For ages I was tossing up which coils to buy. I was looking at kW club sport, ohlins dfv, Cusco zero3. Pretty much every coilover kit I was interested in was around the $3000 mark. I didn't mind paying for good coils but still $3000+ is a fair bit of money and takes a while to save. One night a friend tagged me in a for sale post on a set of coils (I usually wouldn't even bother reading as I've never wanted to buy second hand coils before) but I saw who was selling so I paid a bit more attention. The more I read the more I was being swayed into buying the coils. They ticked all the boxes -They were a good brand -They had spring rates I was after -They were put up for a good price -Even though they were second hand they had only recently been checked over and rebuilt by heasmans -Most importantly I knew they were capable of achieving my desired lap times and performance needs as the car they came off is incredibly fast (1.39 round winton on street tyres fast)

The purchase was made and I was now the owner of amuse s tyre spec coilovers. On the rebuild the rear 14kg springs had been replaced with 12kg springs so the spring rates stood at 12/12 exactly what I wanted when looking at coils.

Install was easy and straightforward. Unfortunately due to time constraints with work etc I haven't had the time to properly tweak the height but this is how it's sitting atm.

2 finger gap all round (wheel to guard) 105cm front and rear (measured along sidestep extension)

It's booked in for an alignment today so I'll get that done for the mean time and adjust height when I have time next week and get another alignment done then.

For now that's probably how the car is going to stay until the start of next year. Hopefully get 1 or 2 more track days in before the end of the year and go from there.
                          Last edited by Toddxxx; 11-11-15, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Oh hey Ben Johnson!
                            Shak's S2000

Comment

Nice updates mate. Looking forward to how the car does at the track with these upgrades. With the exhaust did you feel like there was a performance gain at all? And how bearable is the exhaust for daily driving?
                              1999 Formula Red S2000 Blog

Comment

Yeah talking to both shops about parts while I'm down! Staying at Mantra Parramanta so it's like 20 minutes away from them which is sic!!

Comment

Working...
                                X