No announcement yet.

the lifestory of an M3...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok this thread needs an update. For those who attended the putty rd cruise, you would have noticed that my car has changed quite a bit. I decided to plasti dip the rims, the side grills and the front grills. I also added coloured M stripes to the front grill for that subtle effect. I used 7 cans of matte black and 1 gloss. Since I'm a perfectionist, I coated the face, the barrels, and the insides atleast 5 times. Then added 2 coats of gloss for a satin effect (halfway between matte and gloss). I also ordered a CF front lip and diffuser from ebay. Fitted the diffuser but wasnt entirely happy with the fitment so I am now selling it and ordering a genuine one from the states. The front lip fitment seems good. Will fit both at once in a couple of months or so. Then comes the power mods which I will leave for another post.

I heard u guys like pics...

E93 M3 by Prash Imaging, on Flickr

Last edited by crashprash; 01-08-13, 07:48 PM.
    Prash Imaging (Facebook) - Please like!
    Flickr
    my car blog - Have a read
    my 2nd car blog - Have a read too

Comment

On the way back from the putty rd cruise, my car developed an oil leak. Once my dash went crazy with warning msgs, I pulled into a servo at Windsor, bought the only crappy oil they had and poured some in. As my car doesnt have a dipstick (uses sensor to measure level electronically which u can only check when the car is running), I put too much in and the car complained again. Managed to drive home and called up bmw. They sent someone to check it out and decided that a tow truck the next morning was the only option. This was the 1st time I had been in a tow truck..not something u expect when u have a 1yr old bmw M car. Although the car is under warranty I had to pay for an oil change and filter as they had to flush out the crappy oil in the car. All they had to replace was the oil cap (its a click in place cap vs a threaded cap). Although I did get a manual mini as a courtesy car which was heaps fun to chuck about! I got a BMW motorsport umbrella and some oil for my troubles. I can only use Castrol TWS 10w-60 oil which isnt available anywhere else except BMW and thats the only oil I can use. However from now on, they suggested I just call BMW if anything happens and they will cover everything rather than me trying to solve it. So the car is now fixed up and all seems good.
      Flickr

Comment

BMW oil level sensors are often problematic. The choice by BMW to have no manual dipstick on the S65 is retarded.

You should be able to buy a 1L topup bottle of TWS 10W-60 to carry with you in case you encounter the low-oil situation again. Let me know if your dealer can't supply and I'll get one sent out to you.

How often do you intend to change the oil? I definitely wouldn't wait for the CBS reminder before doing oil services.
        | 1991 Formula Red NSX | 1999 CW DC2R #00-193 | 2013 Black CBR1000RR

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

BMW always have wonderful ideas that turn out to be a pain in the ass in the long run. For you it's the lack of dipstick, for me it's the awesome service Indicator Lights (SIL) that are the biggest issue with E30s, awesome when they work, but most E30 owners I know havepulled or bypassed them as the battery backup leaks and kills things like (electronic) speedos, temp and fuel guages - not to mention the fact they ignore the factory reset tool

This is why I tend to love older cars - simple designs with less chance of issues. Those days are over though
          1988 CRX
          1999 Integra Type R
          2020 Civic Type R

Comment

Yeah it is a shame. Modern cars are all going to be too expensive to maintain once their overly complex electronics fail or become too costly to diagnose vs. The cars value.

Ah well. NSX for life! Lol

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Comment

Originally posted by freakygeek View Post
              BMW oil level sensors are often problematic. The choice by BMW to have no manual dipstick on the S65 is retarded.

You should be able to buy a 1L topup bottle of TWS 10W-60 to carry with you in case you encounter the low-oil situation again. Let me know if your dealer can't supply and I'll get one sent out to you.

How often do you intend to change the oil? I definitely wouldn't wait for the CBS reminder before doing oil services.
              thanks for the offer but its all good..i got 5ltrs from the dealer for free..but they mentioned if it ever needs topping up just take it to them and they will do it for free. In terms of servicing..im gonna let the dealer deal with it and do whatever needs to be done as its under warranty and so I dont wanna worry abt it.
              Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by crashprash View Post
                thanks for the offer but its all good..i got 5ltrs from the dealer for free..but they mentioned if it ever needs topping up just take it to them and they will do it for free. In terms of servicing..im gonna let the dealer deal with it and do whatever needs to be done as its under warranty and so I dont wanna worry abt it.
                That's cool then. Sounds like you have a good dealer

All I'm saying with the servicing is, don't wait for the oil change reminder to come up on the display. The interval is set to 25000km on most of the CBS equipped models. Too long!

BMW don't care if your engine is sludged after the warranty runs out.

Comment

Nice car. Loving the small details!

Comment

spot the differences?

Flickr

Comment

Nice front lip Prash
                      Have a read of my build thread

Comment

^ keep going.
                        Flickr

Comment

Can't believe how heavy this thing is

Comment

Nice rear diffuser too
                            Have a read of my build thread

Comment

Car looked good today!
                              ClubITR | Like

Comment

Originally posted by Mezza View Post
                                Can't believe how heavy this thing is
                                It does a good job of hiding it

Originally posted by itr5093 View Post
                                Nice rear diffuser too
                                we have a winner!...after too many hints that is :P

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                                Car looked good today!
                                Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X