The Knobosaurus DC5R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Knobosaurus DC5R

So I picked up an 02 Type R DC5 for a steal of a price. Got it home, found out it was filled with problems. But thas' okay. I'm a ghetto mechanic.

The list of problems starts here:

- Bent out radiator support (probably from accident), I think the hood doesn't sit flush because of this.
    - Leaking mc and brake booster
    - No-name short ram intake and 3" exhaust (I'm staying on P's for at least another year so they've got to go)
    - Overspray in so many places (Not noticeable unless you look close)
    - P.O.S head unit (MISSING A TUNER KNOB. WHO STEALS THOSE THINGS?)
    - Malfunctioning mirror motor on the right (No matter what button I push it goes either right or up right)
    - Rusttttttt. Is this common in DC5Rs?

the list goes on as each day progresses.

Updated mods and repairs

- Stealthy stock airbox back on
    - Stock axelback with custom 2.4" system toward engine (Defect killer)
    - Black gunky oil drained out and filled with full synthetic 10-30w. JDM HAMP filter replaced over K&N
    - Complete coolant flush, replaced with OEM Type 2 coolant over existing hulk-colour coolant
    - What looked like engine oil, drained out of the gearbox. Filled with genuine 6 MT fluid
    - OEM Type S head unit in favour of a non-working kenwood single din.
    - Sanded and polished gear knob.
    - Mugen radiator cap
    - Blackworks racing tow hook
    - 67 mm throttle body up from 65 mm (Big gains there xD)
    - Mugen Sports Suspension from an EP3R

Planned Mods/repairs:
    - Catch can (Mugen?)
    - Matching bulbs for hi and low beams
    - Fog lights in air vents
    - JDM Cluster
    - eLtrix's Gramlights or EP3R 17's.
    - Thicker sway bar and general body reinforcement
    - Upgraded mounts

Pics pics pics. I've just spent 9 hours each day working on this badboy. Until I resume my full time job Tuesday

You can deliver your baby into that pipe.

I'll have my build updated regularly. I'm going to be drawing on the knowledge of you guys since I don't do too much work with Type R's
    Last edited by knobosaurus; 11-03-13, 07:35 PM.
    Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Ahh welcome mate.

I have a perfect condition mirror if u want!
    Integra Type R
    Integra Type S
    S2000

Comment

Welcome man!
      Shak's S2000

Comment

Welcome! CW DC5R's are hot! The interior looks pretty mint and your Recaros are in pretty good nick!

Comment

Ah looks like this ones finally sold, I was contemplating buying this one..
          Hope everything goes well
          Can't wait to see future updates
          S2000 TRACK/DAILY BUILD

Comment

Originally posted by plAythiNG View Post
            Ahh welcome mate.

I have a perfect condition mirror if u want!
            But they're not broken Alex, they just move in weird directions. That's not broken right?

Originally posted by Paulieee_R View Post
            Welcome! CW DC5R's are hot! The interior looks pretty mint and your Recaros are in pretty good nick!
            Yeah the Recaros are still pretty clean. The only spot where it's bad is the side walls where people usually graze when they disembark.

Originally posted by jdm.itr View Post
            Ah looks like this ones finally sold, I was contemplating buying this one..
            Hope everything goes well
            Can't wait to see future updates
            Yeah this was on Carsales for a while now. Now I know why. At least it wasn't too expensive. I've been gathering parts for my ultimate street type R. Watch this space guys
            Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Welcome mate.

At least you got it for a price you were happy to pay.

Comment

When I bought my car had an intake similar to yours, it was called a top fuel 1000 cf intake. All the best with your car mate!
                Have a read of my build thread

Comment

Welcome to forum, nice car
                  BNR34 Build [SOLD]
                  APB DC5R Build [SOLD]
                  Daily/Track Civic EG Build [SOLD]
                  NSEX

Comment

Every car deserves a good owner, all it takes is times and passion to fix it up back to standard

Goodluck mate and your parts will be on their way this week
                    S2000
                    WSID : TBA
                    Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
                    Smooth As Detailing
                    Incar Racing

Comment

Originally posted by itr5093 View Post
                      When I bought my car had an intake similar to yours, it was called a top fuel 1000 cf intake. All the best with your car mate!
                      Yeah, I couldn't get the intake off fast enough.

Originally posted by wongy View Post
                      Welcome to forum, nice car
                      Thanks Nathan, your exhaust is going to a good home: On the butt of my R

Originally posted by Flippit View Post
                      Every car deserves a good owner, all it takes is times and passion to fix it up back to standard

Goodluck mate and your parts will be on their way this week
                      Thanks Phillip, I'm getting murdered by part prices here. Nothing like what you've done in your build yet :P

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Welcome abroad!! Let me know if you need any parts , we can work something out
                        Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Comment

Thanks Viet. I'm still eyeing that double din head unit. Or the single. Apparently it's a re-wire must. I'm still having a think about whether I want wire it in or just buy a new aftermarket one and wire that one in. Money is the main driving factor As with most builds

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Money, if only we all had a lot of that stuff.
                            Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Comment

Update 29/01/13

Due to some licensing restrictions, I have to make sure my car is as stealthy as possible. This means refitting my airbox over this monstrosity of an intake.

Stock airbox going back on. I have plans to replace it with a mugen intake but that'll have to wait until the car is in safe running form. Previous owner thought it'd be cool to lose all of the bolts securing the box together and to the car along with the duct work feeding the fresh air in. The PCV valve inlet into the airbox was conveniently snapped off too.

Filed off the uneven surface and tapped it.

And in true ghetto style, a garden hose fitting was installed to replace the missing attachment for the pipe to fit on:

While the box was out, I saw how much gunk was plastered all over the transmission and engine. Decided it was a good idea to pressure clean it. I covered up the throttlebody inlet (Thought that was all that was exposed, oh how wrong I was. Missed the PCV valve). I was so paranoid that water got into my crankcase so I:

You guessed it, dropped out all of my oil to check for water. Lucky there wasn't any. So I got some Nulon semi-synthetic oil in there. I'm probably only going to run it in for about 100 km then flushing out everything for genuine fluids (I'm dead set on genuine honda fluids).

After that fiasco, I refit my intake but was still short on a snorkel to feed air into my box. Dad and I came up with this:

A bit of dust extraction ducting with a pvc fitting. Yeah. Didn't take into account the engine temperatures. Realized it was going to be too hot to stay rigid. That idea was quickly dismissed.

Went hunting for that one duct piece. People on forums were either selling the box only or everything at a ridiculous price. No thanks. Called up a mate who lives nearby and owns an R as well. He had two stock airboxes. He gave me the snorkel off one. He's a champ.

Sitting right there next to the battery. He made it happen.

On that note of the battery. It wasn't sitting right. Massive battery for a 4 cylinder car. The owners really didn't know anything about cars. The battery was still good so I thought I may as well continue to use it and just fabricate a mount to hold it properly. Dad thought it was too big of a job for me to do, so he did it himself.

Taking a break from outside work, I moved inside. Pulled out the P.O.S head unit because I'd rather drive with a hole in my dash than an ugly, non-functional unit.

Drying in the sun.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Working...
                              X