Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MR DC5R Diary

Hey guys,
    names Grosso, been part of the forums for roughly 18 months....
    Been harassed by Plaything to make a build thread so i'll start from beginning to end.

Before purchasing my DC5R, i've had and still own a wonderful Ford Laser SR2 which i've modified to my old tastes... Very ricey haha... IF your keen to see a photo lemme know and i'll post it up when she was in her "prestige" condition. Anyway lets move on

I bought my Milano Red DC5R in 2008 from Eastern Honda in Doncaster, Victoria, some of you may have seen it at the time it was for sale.

Bought it for $23950 with 98,***km which was originally from SUNNY QLD and to be fair it was in alright condition for the price. Had a little bit of wear and tear but was fairly good. Was very happy as i was only 18, working full time and still had my daily run around...

I had hidden my car from my parents for 6 months in an underground storage facility in Preston as they were fumming about me considering purchasing a car as the Ford Laser was a gift from them to me but i bought my beloved DC5R anyway! Tough tiddies but anywho haha

Some photos of my car when she was purely stock... Honestly i've never seen these photos since i bought the car till now haha

As some can probably see, the car had abit of slight fading but overall the paint wasn't to bad for it's age! Was very happy with the purchase.

Wasn't heavily part of the Honda car scene for the early part of having my license till i got to 19, had a few car meets that i attended with mates.
    No modifications had still gone on my car as i enjoyed my Stock DC5R.

At the time, this was my favorite photo to date

I then had the car 'detailed' and this is when i realized my TRUE hatred for other people i can't trust working my beloved car (yes im very pedantic, i only trust a certain few) Instead of the 'detailer' fixing my faded red paint, he made it a disaster! I should of had his head....
    Photos of after the detail (don't have any photos i think to show the damage im referring to!)

After the detail....
    Ugh..

I then began to think about doing a paint job to my car (would never EVER do this now) but this is what someone came up with for me...
    Here's some laughs as we go haha

That's pretty much the summary of how i got to where i am with my car...
    I then got my first modification, aftermarket headlights as i got a defect for my OEM headlights carrying water in them so i bought projector headlights...
    Was a fan at the time, but not anymore!

All in all i was pretty happy after, everything was going well, had my car's running both smoothly, loved my beautiful DC5R then disaster struck!
    Was driving on Bell St, Preston, just infront of where i used to store my car and some old guy didn't see me in the middle lane.... Peak hour traffic, decided to basically do a... "i don't care about you, you can move"
    Smashed into my drivers door.... Before he got out of the car, my friend in the car was trying to make me stay calm as i was so angry... when i saw it WAS an old guy, i calmed down... He explained he was at fault and everything was okay... But the left over mess...

Ugh... don't like showing these....
    Drivers door, side swiped, rear bumper stuffed....

Then.... This is how it ALL began....
    I said to my best friend who was a chick who's now my missus , f*ck this, im going all out.
    Panel beater said, you gimme $1000 on top, i'll do your whole car, i had NO HESITATIONS! I wanted my car back to brand new...
    Yes i do have the documented full process, took 3 months and here is the full range!

From stripping, to highfilling, to sanding, to masking, to painting and to ASSEMBLEMENT!

Stripped..

Went to QLD over my January break to clear my head as i lost my 2 closest relatives... my grandparents who raised me as a child which took some focus off the car but i came back refreshed and continued on..

Highfilling & Sanding

That was when i returned.... I was over the moon!

Then i did my first performance mod with my missus (she love's to help out!)
    4 hours later we ended up with
    Injen CAI!

As my work base is only 3 factories down from my panel beater, he said "you want photos? It's getting painted tomorrow, it's all masked up in the booth!!"
    Last edited by MYDC5R; 26-03-12, 06:59 PM.

My Mr Dc5r

Chassis, Bumpers, Skirts and Lips!

Then.... I wasn't there for that first drop but i couldn't believe the work he did... My car was literally reborn I almost cried!

Painted!!

Last edited by MYDC5R; 21-11-11, 07:51 PM.

Comment

MR DC5R Diary

These were when the car just came out of the oven! He asked if i could put it in our factory? I said HELL YES! Just stared at it over and over!!!

Some may be wondering where my spoiler was?

Here are photos to show it coming together...

That's all i took before hand over.....

This is what i took with my camera phone... Never really had a professional shoot done so i will get one done at one stage...

After these photos if i remember correctly, i had my X-Force Catback system fitted, mugen shift knob, fog lights, clear indicators and DUE to my foggies... Me and one of the guys at the panel shop who im now good friends with, we made a slight change to my bumper and where my INJEN sits....

To the questions... Yes it's loud.... very LOL...
      Hydro lock... Well i wouldn't know as i always check the weather before i go out in a drive with my DC5R to avoid the risk (very pedantic) but i've had a few scares...

After my little mod's, the bug had now started to begin to set in... Due to my car being under finance as i purchased it on my own, no mum and dad here! I was limited but i still managed slowly!

Started with Oil pressure and Oil temp gauges.
      Why?
      I knew eventually that i wanted to hit the track and the urge was going, just never had confidence but it was slowly building...

Honestly, great quality. Dims when the sun is on them, lights up nice and bright at night time! No dramas with them!

I wanted a set of wheels....
      Then something came up! Well alot!
      JDM Concept had a special on Cusco Type OS front and Rear strut bars so i bought them plus an EP3R sway bar as i was going to eventually get aftermarket headers!

Also a member on here, well i don't know if hes around much anymore sold me his set of Work VS-XX wheels!
      Vuongster i believe, was honest down to everything, they were guttered but i still loved them!
      I also managed to find a second hand set on Import monster of Red Floor Mats!!

Photos of everything:

The Work VS-XX wheels were
      Front: 17x9 +35
      Rear: 17x8 +30

I had fun mounting them! Pulled out both scissor jacks from both cars and off i went!
      Last edited by MYDC5R; 26-03-12, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Was rapt how the red and gold went together! Looked at photos on google and i wasn't to sure.... But when i saw it for real i thought it looked swell

Then i decided to do my first D.I.Y and i failed MISERABLY!
        I went to fit my Cusco Front Strut bar and this is what i did!

De-threaded my strut mount and snap 1 of them little bolts! I was shattered

Thanks to ChargeR when he saw my thread on OzHonda, he gave me some assistance and i had this problem sorted out. I only had my car serviced at Honda dealerships and this still hasn't changed today...
        I decided to give the big F U to Eastern Doncaster as i was so frustrated at there customer service and opted for Essendon Fields Honda and i was rapt with the customer service they gave me!
        They had arranged to fit everything for me! When i mean everything, im saying all the bars and fix what i stuffed up!!!!

Also had a minor service done in the process, all in all honestly, the price was great!
        They managed to do something that alot of people said wasn't possible which was mount the OEM Front strut and the Cusco strut together.... Alot of people said it won't work but im here showing you it does work!

Also ended up purchasing Mugen Oil Cap, Mugen Radiator Cap, Spoon Wipers, Work VS-XX Centre caps with Work Reg Lug Nuts and once again courtesy of
        JDM Concept
        Last edited by MYDC5R; 21-11-11, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I chose to use Leo (JDM Concept) over other traders as i love his customer service and im a great fan of good customer service! I'm willing to pay that bit more if it's what i get an this is why i continue to use Essendon Fields Honda!

Photo my beloved DC5R showing off her red beauty at the front of the garage!

Progress then became slow for my car... When i mean slow... I mean very slow... I was mean't to drive up to Wakefield Park of the 27th November 2010 but this didn't eventuate due to shit hitting the fan with my girlfriend... We got as far as wangaratta and decided to go to bright to see her cousin and sort our problems out and all is well now thank god...

Nothing had progressed into the new year really, just kept working focusing on my goals to get my car to where i wanted it to be... I attended a few OzHonda meets and had some good photos taken by a mate of mine

Over the course of owning my DC5R i've lost my license 3 times funnily enough but before you start going like im a fool etc, i've never been fined in my DC5R, only had one minor defect because i love to hold true values to my car and keep a proud name to other Type R owners.

I made a purchase, Courtesy of Shift Performance for my major service for when i finish my suspension on the 30th-31st November and this follows with these items

Plus a Mugen Oil Filter!!

I have my Goodridge SS Braided Lines to go in aswell and Essendon Honda have been great in wanting to this all for me at a great price once again. Some of you may say im getting ripped off which is fine but i don't have the trust to give to any mechanic in the northern suburbs of Victoria.
          Anything electrical i take else where and to be honest he's great, very friendly and very upfront!

Over the course of the 12-16months of having the projector headlights in, i ALWAYS wanted JDM DC5 Headlights standard with HID's due to the fact i knew they'd be much safer to run and not blind oncoming drivers as aftermarket one's do here...

I was lucky enough to find a set courtesy of a OzHonda member and i promptly purchased them and they also came with a brand new ballast!

Funnily enough, that ballast is for a 2002 NSX-R LOL!!! Couldn't believe it when i found out!!
          I sent the car without the front bar to my auto elec on a tow truck (RACV ftw! ) and have had him fitting them as im not good with wires. I saw the DIY for them on here but im not being rude or anything, he's done a proper wiring design for them, a proper harness looks great! Will grab photos when i get my car back as for the moment i won't be getting it till i receive a igniter from the UK as the seller didn't put one of the igniters in the box.... Was abit annoyed about this as a brand NEW one from JDM Land was $550

Got mine for $55, second hand but it works!!!!

JDM Headlights

Last edited by MYDC5R; 21-11-11, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Mr dc5r

Before the car got sent off, about 2 months prior i had Felix send me some ClubITR Stickers!! Never posted them up but here they are!

Sooooooooooooooooooo, i did some big weekend shifts, 14 days straight of work... i decided to go abit nuts with spending money....

The seller i purchased the JDM Headlights off, well he sold the Ohlins DFV coilovers he had off to his mate.... I sent him a PM wondering if his mate would want to sell and guess what
            Payment done and sent to my door!

Funnily enough guys, i had order something from JDM Concept about 1 month prior which had a few delays but i had no problem about this as i cant drive 10 minutes later after opening the box a guy from Fastway Couriers rocked up with this

I opened it up and looky...

Beatrush Floor Bar & C-Pillar Bar, Mugen Rear Upper Bar and Honda JDM Visors!!!!

Still yet to have these all fitted but soon to be on my beloved car
            A

That ends all the news i have over the 2-3 years of ownership i've had guys.
            Hopefully alot more to come!

My future goal?

Full Toda Build, i wanna build the K20 to it's full potential, no hybrid, no boost.. Just pure N/A

^^ Before this though, i wanna begin to get into Track work and start to get abit more serious about it as i seem to like watching videos of it and i have a big urge to try it! I'm going to Winton's Fun day on the 11th December so hopefully i should have alot of fun there and get some practice!

Currently...

Engine:
            INJEN CAI
            X-Force Catback
            Mugen Oil Cap
            Mugen Radiator Cap

Brakes:
            Front: EBC 3GD Slotted and Dimpled
            Rear: RDA Slotted
            Pads: OEM Front and Rear
            Goodridge SS Braided Lines

Interior:
            JDM Door Cards
            JDM Floor mats
            DRiFT Oil Pressure (digital)
            DriFT Oil Temp (digital)
            Mugen Shift knob
            Sony Xplode H/U

Exterior:
            Work VS-XX
            F: 17x9 +35 245/40/17 RE001
            R: 17 x8 +30 235/45/17 RE002
            Replica Mugen Wing
            ClubITR Stickers!
            Spoon Windscreen Wipers
            JDM DC5R Visors
            JDM DC5R Headlights /w HID

Suspension:
            Ohlins DFV Coilovers 8kg Front 10kg Rear
            EP3R Sway Bar
            Cusco Type OS Front Strut
            Cusco Type OS Rear Strut
            Beatrush Floor Bar
            Beatrush C-Pillar Bar
            Mugen Rear Upper Bar

Consumed Items:
            RE001 255/40/17

That's all i can think of, enjoy the read.
            I do apologise if it was long =)

Would like to add a special thanks to:
            JDM Concept - Been great having you help me out when i was after certain things. Appreciate it heaps!
            Shift Performance - Good supplier, can't fault them. Good customer service aswell!
            And also everyone who has helped me along the way! Thank you!!
            Last edited by MYDC5R; 14-11-12, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Sorry for so many posts but there's limits and yeah... Hope you guys enjoy the read.
              Feel free to ask questions
              Btw this took over 2 hours to do, over 20,000 characters LOL!
              Last edited by MYDC5R; 21-11-11, 07:37 PM.

Comment

awesome read man!!

and JDM headlights FTW!! can't wait to see it on the car!
                ClubITR | Like

Comment

loved reading it, asif you were not going to let us see that!! incredible work man, totally sexual
                  1995 Honda Civic EG (K20)
                  1998 Nissan 180SX Type X (SR20)
                  2010 Volkswagen Golf GTI (Emission Monster)

RHCP
                  F1 Nut

Comment

awesome stuff man!
                    S2000
                    WSID : TBA
                    Wakefield : 1:10.1

Flippit Photography
                    Smooth As Detailing
                    Incar Racing

Comment

Thanks guys, can't wait to have the car back, can't also wait to be able to drive my DC5R again!

Comment

nice write up grosso

Comment

Hey grosso, totally epic read man. I wish I had my popcorn handy as it was pretty entertaining
                          Great progress, and I admit, when I saw the first pictures of the gold wheels i was thinking "ohhh gold on red, that will be weird" but when I scrolled down more and saw what it actually looked like on the car I was shocked - looks fucking awesome!!! I love those wheels on your car man

Comment

Originally posted by dcII View Post
                            nice write up grosso
                            Thanks dude, daniel yeah?

Originally posted by Peachy View Post
                            Hey grosso, totally epic read man. I wish I had my popcorn handy as it was pretty entertaining
                            Great progress, and I admit, when I saw the first pictures of the gold wheels i was thinking "ohhh gold on red, that will be weird" but when I scrolled down more and saw what it actually looked like on the car I was shocked - looks fucking awesome!!! I love those wheels on your car man
                            Haha cheers peachy, thanks for that.
                            Yeah, i agree, didn't think it would work well at the start but im happy now so yeah, pretty happy with that.
                            Just on the hunt for a Window Regulator and waiting on my Universal C Spanners and my JDM HID Igniter!

Comment

i like the mugen wing....
                              Integra Type R
                              Integra Type S
                              S2000

Comment

Working...
                              X