No announcement yet.

R35 warranty issues :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My point was more directed at the fact of, why build something if it cant take the heat?
    For such a highly proclaimed amount of performance, using it voids the warranty?

"Hey look, we've build one of the best road legal cars in the world, but you wont ever know what the experience feels like because we wont let you use it without voiding the warranty"

It's stupid, pure and simple.
    sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Didz View Post
      My point was more directed at the fact of, why build something if it cant take the heat?
      For such a highly proclaimed amount of performance, using it voids the warranty?

"Hey look, we've build one of the best road legal cars in the world, but you wont ever know what the experience feels like because we wont let you use it without voiding the warranty"

It's stupid, pure and simple.
      No, it's not stupid. The car is already an amazing performing car. You don't need the VDC off to experience it, however turning the VDC off does remove the computer controlled elements so constant abuse will cause damage.

They also know that people do tune these cars and will modify them to huge extent outside of warranty. Being able to turn off these elements allows more tunability. Nissan will let you do whatever you want to the car outside of warranty. That's why you can turn off the VDC, but they know that doing that puts excess load on the drivetrain so if you want to push it that far they don't want to cover it because it's essentially only a matter of time before components do need replacing.

Comment

i understand what you're saying but i still disagree. If it was gong to void the warranty then it should not be such an accessible thing to do eg: having a button in the middle of the instrument panel

IMHO a car should be built to be able to take a reasonable amount of stress based on the performance of the car.

EG: using vtec. it is expected that you can do this as its a function of the car.

EG: traction control, taking this off alters the way the car handles. it doesnt void the warranty though if you slide on icy roads because of it and damage your car.

Comment

Sorry but the manufacturer openly states it's not recommended for it to be done, but they know these cars are sometimes used for racing and people that do that accept the consequences.

There is a reason why the triggers need to be held down, not just pushed. You consciously need to recognise that the VDC has been turned off. You can't accidentally do it. When you do this you are accepting responsibility for that you do with the car in that mode.

Comment

still doesnt wash with me

maybe im living in fairy land where its a perfect world, but i still think its shit on nissans part.

All that being said, do we know if the engine was correctly 'run-in'? i know they are hand built and all but i would still do it if it were my car.

Comment

maybe they should link it to GPS so it can only be used at drag strips,

a maximum of 5 times per day?
              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                maybe they should link it to GPS so it can only be used at drag strips,

a maximum of 5 times per day?
                a better solution

It supports my theory of why make it so easy to do if ur gonna void the warranty.

Comment

still doesnt wash with me
                  yeah, it is pretty lamewad...

cant teh auto box self protect itself - like the BA falcons one?
                  ... retired/

Comment

the honda engines protect themselves from engaging vtec and blowing the motor when cold. it is a simple mechanic.

Why can't nissan do something to protect the gearbox?

Comment

the honda engines protect themselves from engaging vtec and blowing the motor when cold. it is a simple mechanic.

Why can't nissan do something to protect the gearbox?
                      I think you're missing the point. They have created a car that can do these things for you, but no car is bulletproof. They know that with continued launches the gearbox can fail, just like any other car. People will want to be able to use things like launch control, but if that does jeopardise the reliability of the car they shouldn't have to warrant it. Granted, if you did it once and it failed they may have goodwill on it, but this car had over 20 launches using the launch control. Imagine how else it was driven.

In handbooks, manufacturers will have a clause along the lines of "legal and responsible driving conditions". It basically means that due to abuse of mechanical components they will not warrant the car if they felt the car was overly stressed.

Volkswagen will not warrant a GTI that has had continued LC starts and gearbox failure and rightly so. You can't take any car back after continued hard use and expect to get it all fixed at their expense.

Comment

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
                        but this car had over 20 launches using the launch control. Imagine how else it was driven.
                        WTF?

only ~20 useages!!

and that is "excessive" usage?

GTFO.

that to me might be EXPECTED usage.

and they used to say the WRX had a glass 'box

teh GTR can now lose....
                        ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by m0nty View Post
                          You can't take any car back after continued hard use and expect to get it all fixed at their expense.
                          i thought the italian made ones you can?
                          ... retired/

Comment

WTF?

only ~20 useages!!

and that is "excessive" usage?

GTFO.

that to me might be EXPECTED usage.

and they used to say the WRX had a glass 'box

teh GTR can now lose....
                            I'm not saying that's acceptable, but I'm saying that since it had those 20 launches you can be sure that it also had alot more abuse.

Comment

i thought the italian made ones you can?
                              Nope. They're exactly the same. Lamborghini are very VERY strict when it comes to warranty. It's the German influence.

Also, the 599 launch control actually logs a warning light and fault code when engaged. It's to signify that you have taken the car outside normal operating parameters.

Comment

cant teh auto box self protect itself - like the BA falcons one?
                                ok, so after reading more...

(this is all very interesting)

it seems the VDC is THE thing that protects the gearbox...

this guy turned it off.

OK, i get it.

but WTF would you (nissan) put something in the car to protect it - then give the owner the ability to switch it off.

what's that saying about making something idiot proof and only an idiot will use it?
                                ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                                X