• Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Ways to Keep Your Car Out of the Shop

I saw this and thought it might be useful to some people

http://www.quote.com/personal_financ...tos_10ways.jsp
    - MAR '01 DC2 INTEGRA TYPE R
    - '86 BMW E30 318i CABRIOLET

good post man....some i didnt believe ...but the warming up one is very important....i cant stand ppl that go full noise after cold start...i leave mine idling till the guages reads almost half every morning and i even let it run down after a thrash

Comment

exactly right man, i took my car for a spin before and stumbled across this and made me think, lettin it cool down for a min or two is always a good idea
      - MAR '01 DC2 INTEGRA TYPE R
      - '86 BMW E30 318i CABRIOLET

Comment

yeah thats it ey.... hope everyone else does that on this forum :P rumour is that engines dont hit vtec if there still cold anyway ?

Comment

yeah doesnt seem to engage accidently let loose when cold before!

Comment

Originally posted by DC2RKID View Post
            good post man....some i didnt believe ...but the warming up one is very important....i cant stand ppl that go full noise after cold start...i leave mine idling till the guages reads almost half every morning and i even let it run down after a thrash
            serious?

are we reading the same article?

i cant see anywhere where it says to 'warm the car up' until the needles are at half???

basically, it suggests to get the oil circulating before revving, this takes 30 or less in a late model car.

the best way to "warm up" a engine is to drive normally...

the worst way to warm up a car is to let it idle for a few minutes.
            ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by hayesam View Post
              I saw this and thought it might be useful to some people

http://www.quote.com/personal_financ...tos_10ways.jsp
              nice, i particularly think tyre pressures are very much the most neglected item of vehicle maintenance...
              ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by DC2RKID View Post
                yeah thats it ey.... hope everyone else does that on this forum :P rumour is that engines dont hit vtec if there still cold anyway ?
                yes....it doesn't........
                Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                1)ブレーキを踏む
                2)クラッチを切る
                3)シフトダウンしなから、
                  アクセルをぶかす
                4)クラッチをつなぐ
                :blah:
                インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Doesn't the vtec not engaging have more to do with oil pressure rather than oil temp?

Comment

informative article, never heard about number 4 though. can anyone confirm?
                    DC5S

Comment

why would you let the car cool down after a thrash.....last time i checked vtec wasnt a turbo?

Comment

Originally posted by IBBI View Post
                        why would you let the car cool down after a thrash.....last time i checked vtec wasnt a turbo?
                        i know that after a few laps on track, you do a cool down lap but that's mainly for your brakes and tyres afaik. although i'm assuming it would be beneficial to your engine if you did let it cool down after a thrash?
                        DC5S

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post

why?

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                            serious?

are we reading the same article?

i cant see anywhere where it says to 'warm the car up' until the needles are at half???

basically, it suggests to get the oil circulating before revving, this takes 30 or less in a late model car.

the best way to "warm up" a engine is to drive normally...

Agree

Originally posted by JORDS View Post
                            Doesn't the vtec not engaging have more to do with oil pressure rather than oil temp?
                            when ur engine is not reaching working temp ur ECU will stop vtec engaging to protect ur engine......it won't allow the high cam take place coz it will damage ur engine

Originally posted by vuongster View Post
                            informative article, never heard about number 4 though. can anyone confirm?
                            Yeah....that sth not many ppl know.....thats why ppl also say keep ur steeling wheel straight when you park. if you keep it turn on one side you have more chance to get an oil leak sooner then normal

Originally posted by vuongster View Post
                            i know that after a few laps on track, you do a cool down lap but that's mainly for your brakes and tyres afaik. although i'm assuming it would be beneficial to your engine if you did let it cool down after a thrash?
                            Thats also to do with ur engine......you know you will drop approx 10-15 degree of oil temp from one good cool down lap......that 10-15 degree take ages to cool from a stand still car

Originally posted by dynosaur View Post
                            why?
                            We've cover this point b4......you only need about 30sec to max a min to warm ur car coz u only need the oil pump start pump some oil to ur engine then you are free to go...just like tinker mention drive gentle and normal. coz even ur engine is fully warm up but ur gear box and stuff still cold....if you think ur engine is fully warmed and in working temp and you start to rev the shit out of it.....you most properly need a new gear box very soon......
                            Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                            1)ブレーキを踏む
                            2)クラッチを切る
                            3)シフトダウンしなから、
                              アクセルをぶかす
                            4)クラッチをつなぐ
                            :blah:
                            インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                            人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Originally posted by dynosaur View Post
                              why?
                              in modern cars (like DC2R) running normal multi-grade oil:

1. it ONLY 'warms' your ENGINE. not your gearbox, your driveshaft joints or your brakes...

2. the engine runs RICH air/fuels which means there is more chance of ring wash out, oil contamination, fouled sparkplugs, cat converter damage. all of these are BAD for your engine.

3. it is bad for the environment.

4. it really DOESN’T warm up the WHOLE engine - it only warms up the coolant. when the engine is idling, the oil gets circulated, but not heated, it is the warm oil that provides the best protection...
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X