Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DC5R] Valve Springs

After running the mugen n1 ecu for about a month n abit now

I'm looking in upgrading my stock valve springs because it recommends to change valve spring to use with the ecu. At the moment, i'm got a few in mind, JUN, Spoon, Mugen and Toda. Do valve springs have different specs? or do they all do the same job and able to support the engine to rev to 9200rpm safely?

I'm planning to get cams later on as well, is it better to stick with the same brand with the valve springs? What is a good set of cams to look at?
    '03 Integra DC5 Type R
    Naturally Aspirated, K20A i-Vtec

Wakefield Park: 1:13.047 w/ street tyres
    Eastern Creek Int'l Raceway: 1:57.969 w/ street tyres
    Power: 155Kw with Mugen N1 ECU

ips + jdm type r valvetrain
    Project: DC5R>>S2000>>NSX

Comment

Might as well do cams and valve springs same time. In the meantime just rev it to 8400 rpm.
      BYP Racing & Developments
      Built. Tuned. Driven
      Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
        Might as well do cams and valve springs same time. In the meantime just rev it to 8400 rpm.
        yah, because i'm overseas at the moment. Planning to just buy it here but don't know which brand to go with. Should the valve springs match the cams? or any aftermarket valve springs will do?
        '03 Integra DC5 Type R

Comment

stick with mugen....they made it for the ecu anywayz......dunno about other brands' spec anywayz.....dun forget head gasket too....they are not expensive....
          Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
          1)ブレーキを踏む
          2)クラッチを切る
          3)シフトダウンしなから、
            アクセルをぶかす
          4)クラッチをつなぐ
          :blah:
          インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
          人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiu View Post
            yah, because i'm overseas at the moment. Planning to just buy it here but don't know which brand to go with. Should the valve springs match the cams? or any aftermarket valve springs will do?
            Depending what cams your going for. I guess since your in japan then i would say try toda or JUN.
            BYP Racing & Developments
            Built. Tuned. Driven
            Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
              I second this suggestion.

Power starts to dip down above 8400 on the K20A2 and there isn't much to be gained by revving it more. *glances at mugenbox*
              Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

i have mugen n1 ecu on my dc2r and was also looking to replace valvesprings with mugen ones, as recommended by mugen - same as you.

this is what i came up with:

*there is quite abit of work involved with replacing valvesprings, i dont have the time or mechanical experience to do this myslef, so i got a few quotes and it was around the $2000 mark just for labour !!!

*for such an expense, while you're there, you might as well change the cams at the same time as replacing the cam gears, in which xase you should get valvesprings suited to your cams, ie not mugen ones which are designed for the stock cams. i'd get the same brand valvesprings as cams, like jun, toda, spoon, etc.

*with the aftermarket cams and valvesprings in, u might as well get adjustable cam sprockets for fine-tuning, since you've now spent a lot on getting this far..possibly a thinner head gasket too, to increase compression slightly..

*with this combination, your mugen n1 ecu is less than ideal, since as we all know its not programmable, so you'd need a replacement ecu such as apexi power fc or hondata or the like..

summarising, this is a fairly substantial job, requiring a fair bit of $ to 'do the job properly'. my decision was to not go ahead, and simply dont rev the car right to the higher mugen limmiter..not an ideal solution, but one that works for me.
                "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

good analysis.

Is it harder to change valve springs in a b series than k series motor? because i got a quote before from toda au for about $5xx-$600.

I was thinking of doing the cams and springs at the same time but don't know which one to go for. JUN? TODA? Does VTC = ivtec? will it be less street friendly without ivtec?

I never thought about change the ecu as i'm really happy with the mugen n1, it's damn good. Just want to get a bit more out of it? Maybe use jdm itr cams?

Originally posted by szymonsta View Post
                  i have mugen n1 ecu on my dc2r and was also looking to replace valvesprings with mugen ones, as recommended by mugen - same as you.

this is what i came up with:

*there is quite abit of work involved with replacing valvesprings, i dont have the time or mechanical experience to do this myslef, so i got a few quotes and it was around the $2000 mark just for labour !!!

*for such an expense, while you're there, you might as well change the cams at the same time as replacing the cam gears, in which xase you should get valvesprings suited to your cams, ie not mugen ones which are designed for the stock cams. i'd get the same brand valvesprings as cams, like jun, toda, spoon, etc.

*with the aftermarket cams and valvesprings in, u might as well get adjustable cam sprockets for fine-tuning, since you've now spent a lot on getting this far..possibly a thinner head gasket too, to increase compression slightly..

*with this combination, your mugen n1 ecu is less than ideal, since as we all know its not programmable, so you'd need a replacement ecu such as apexi power fc or hondata or the like..

summarising, this is a fairly substantial job, requiring a fair bit of $ to 'do the job properly'. my decision was to not go ahead, and simply dont rev the car right to the higher mugen limmiter..not an ideal solution, but one that works for me.
                  Does mugen make cams at all? Because i would love to match the springs n cams.

Originally posted by air23box View Post
                  stick with mugen....they made it for the ecu anywayz......dunno about other brands' spec anywayz.....dun forget head gasket too....they are not expensive....
                  '03 Integra DC5 Type R

Comment

mugen ECU can run with A2 cams.....
                    Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
                    1)ブレーキを踏む
                    2)クラッチを切る
                    3)シフトダウンしなから、
                      アクセルをぶかす
                    4)クラッチをつなぐ
                    :blah:
                    インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
                    人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

mugen do not make any engine internals other than head gasket and valvesprings (for road use anyway)..
                      they do have machining facilities but i beleive they only make internals and complete engines for race use (go kart, formula racers, etc) which arent available for road users..dunno, maybe if u have 'special powers' like jingers u can get that stuff, like his mugen n1 racing exhaust system (the LOUD one, not the twin loop)..but its not available for public sale.

my amateur opinion is:
                      i think if u are going to the trouble of changing cams, replacing with standard jdm itr cams will be kind of pointless as the difference will be very small, u may as well go something a bit more aggressive so that u can notice a signifficant improvement in power.
                      obviously you probably dont want to get the cams with the most aggressive cam profile, like the toda VTEC-less cams, as these would require signifficant further modifications to work optimally (ie close gearing, probably quad throttles, internals..)
                      but perhaps a mild to medium cam upgrade would be good, which retains daily-driveability and doesnt require revving much higher than standard for the optimum power..JUN and TODA make several cams of various duration and lift, i'd speak to someone who has experience in doing this as i am just sharing my opinions and have no experience with this
                      either way i think the mugen n1 ecu you have will not be optimum for such as setup, as it is designed to work with the standard jdm itr cams and is non-programmable..i guess it may still work well with the mild upgrade, but my opinion is that anything much more aggressive than stock and it will not be an optimum tune..my 2c and please talk to someone who actually knows what they are doing before doing anything
                      "What's the point of racing a car that doesn't look cool?" - Nakai-san, RWB

Comment

is it really worth all that trouble to rev the extra 800rpm??? will you get gain from that 800 rpm?

z10 says:
                        i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
                        z10 says:
                        mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Originally posted by noodleman View Post
                          is it really worth all that trouble to rev the extra 800rpm??? will you get gain from that 800 rpm?
                          Women... they love the noise.

Ask Mugenbox and his 9200rpm's.
                          Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

mine can go to 9200...but the curve is flat after 8800....dont see the point to rev that high except for the sound it makes

z10 says:
                            i bet you will have 10000 wheels when you are done
                            z10 says:
                            mon-fri 9am-5pm chasing for jazz parts

Comment

Originally posted by noodleman View Post
                              dont see the point to rev that high except for the sound it makes
                              ...exactly

Comment

Working...
                              X