Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[noob q.] Stock Wheels + Aftermarket wheel nuts = is it ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
    yeah, but because $ outweighs benefit = *bling*
    http://www.nengun.com/rays-engineering/racing-dura-nuts

i agree... but lets do the math just for fun
    55 grams Vs 23 grams for rays. (not sure what DC2R stock nuts weight though)
    difference = 32 grams per nut.
    X 20 nuts = 0.64kg or 0.16kg per wheel.

cost? $200 say.

so $312 per kg of weight savings.. its not great but its not that bad. and it is unsprung weight so helps handling too...

for me $200 aint much and i needed new nuts for the new wheels anyway.

Comment

I added McGard spline drive lugs nuts to *help* protect the wheels from theft. They are two piece so they don't damage the rims and I they are heavier than stock nuts.

Oh noezzzz there goes my handling!!111one
      David

'00 DC2 Integra TypeR SOLD
      '78 SB2 Civic "Hondamatic"
      '07 GD3 Jazz

Comment

re: flywheel Vs weight on wheels

remember that the flywheel spins at engine speeds while the wheels spin much much slower.. this means weight taken off the flywheel is much more effective than weight taken off the wheels from an acceleration standpoint. (especially in low gears where the difference in rotation speeds is greatest)

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
          http://www.nengun.com/rays-engineering/racing-dura-nuts

i agree... but lets do the math just for fun
          55 grams Vs 23 grams for rays. (not sure what DC2R stock nuts weight though)
          difference = 32 grams per nut.
          X 20 nuts = 0.64kg or 0.16kg per wheel.

cost? $200 say.

so $312 per kg of weight savings.. its not great but its not that bad. and it is unsprung weight so helps handling too...

for me $200 aint much and i needed new nuts for the new wheels anyway.
          well, my racing harts retail at $650ea, so if you replace the OEM Enkei's that is 6.0kg - 3.9kg = 2.1kg saved per wheel = saving of 8.4kg total so that is $309.52 per kg saved...

removing the DC2 electric antenna is free, but replacing it with a non-OEM stubby one will cost you $50.

that is 1.2kg - 0.4kg = 0.8kg

so that is $62 per kg
          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by DLO01 View Post
            Yes, but whats a flywheel, 4kgs? A decent one is designed biased to be lighter around the ouside and heavier in the inside.

A wheel/tyre 14kgs say? Most of that weight is heavier on the ouside, lighter in the middle.

^^^ in that regard, I think its very very very insignificant.
            Extremely true, and I agree. I just thought that it could be used as the same concept?

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
            from changing the wheelnuts?

*cough* bullshit *cough*
            No I meant from changing wheels, not lugs LOL.
            But I guess for "proper" race cars... a few grams count, and makes a bit of difference. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.

Originally posted by ChargeR
            Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by VTECMACHINE View Post
              No I meant from changing wheels, not lugs LOL.
              i kinda thought that after posting what i posted - that is why i asked the Q
              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
              X