Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[noob q.] Stock Wheels + Aftermarket wheel nuts = is it ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[noob q.] Stock Wheels + Aftermarket wheel nuts = is it ok?

i see it around here and there and i would just like to ask for opinions on it and if its alright to be running the car daily like this, or how many people do it

but is it ok to use aftermarket lightweight wheel nuts for stock wheels?
    e.g, stock dc2r wheels + rays wheel nuts

It is a bad idea. The aftermarket wheel nut on a stock wheel will seat on a much smaller area than a curved seat stock wheel nut, possibly giving it a better chance of loosening. You may also damage the wheel nut or the seat on the wheel.

That said I know some ghetto people that have driven on street and track with aftermarket nuts on stock wheels with no failures. I wouldn't do it though .
    Last edited by ChargeR; 16-09-08, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Agree with ChargeR. Don't risk it!
      Vivid Blue Integra Type-S
      "When I grow up I want camber like TeamMR."
      sigpic
      itr_***@hotmail.com says: (10:43:08 PM)
      send that cock breath back to the land of the stuffed turkeys

Comment

thats so sad, looks hella' good with a little red or what not...

some rays to match would be perfect!
        DCIIR

Comment

yeh i didnt think it would be safe to do, due to the nuts being lightweight but thought i'd ask bcause i've seen it around here and there. i dont think i will be thinking about that now lol.
          Last edited by Reflex; 17-09-08, 06:39 AM.

Comment

it's not the weight of the nuts its due to the shape of them
            stock nuts are rounded, aftermarket nuts like rays are tapered.

Comment

I ended up sticking with OEM chrome nuts and sourcing OEM ball seat lock nuts - they cost I think $76 from Honda. Expensive, but at least the mounting surface with the alloy is correct, and wont damage the mounting washers on the rim, if I was to use tapered nuts.

You can buy black coloured ball seat nuts from America - commonly used on the NSX if my memory serves me well.

Comment

most honda service centres have a bucket of the OEM "acorn" nuts in the corner (so i am told)...
                ... retired/

Comment

are those "acorn" nuts used so that you are able to use the tapered wheel nuts on the standard wheels as normal rounded nuts?
                  or it just helps it out a little better

Comment

no, the "acorns" are the rounded OEM ones...

at least that is what i *think* they are called...
                    ... retired/

Comment

ooh i get what you mean,
                      i thought it was something to put behind the tapered nuts to fit more secure.

whoops, sory about that..

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                        no, the "acorns" are the rounded OEM ones...

at least that is what i *think* they are called...
                        Yeah I've always called the OEM rounded ones acorn nuts too...

Comment

Originally posted by SpecJ View Post
                          You can buy black coloured ball seat nuts from America - commonly used on the NSX if my memory serves me well.
                          after a bit of google...

part # 90304-SA7-811

i dont know what the part number for the lock nuts are though

or there's this http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/GOR38431N.htm
                          T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                            It is a bad idea. The aftermarket wheel nut on a stock wheel will seat on a much smaller area than a curved seat stock wheel nut, possibly giving it a better chance of loosening. You may also damage the wheel nut or the seat on the wheel.

That said I know some ghetto people that have driven on street and track with aftermarket nuts on stock wheels with no failures. I wouldn't do it though .
                            So true! I did this for a while when i first bought my car. Tracked with stock wheels and Rays lugs. They didn't come loose, and I had no problems at all, but I guess I was lucky.

Tapered lugs are made for Tapered wheels.

Also after fitting the lugs on the stock rims.. I did Fuxor my lugs after a while.

Originally posted by ChargeR
                            Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

my mechanic fuxored mine up with his rattle gun. forgot to tell them when i dropped the car off. the thread was farked to the point that when i took the nuts off to change my rotors, I couldn't even put them back on.
                              T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

Working...
                              X