Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[noob q.] Stock Wheels + Aftermarket wheel nuts = is it ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nothing to do with non-congruous alloy and steel thermal expansion rates?

either way, the old saying still goes:

"every gram counts"

or was that my dealer?
    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
      Slightly reduced unsprung and reciprocating mass is all I can think of too. Not going to make much difference to the rotational inertia of the drivetrain though being so close to the centre of the wheel. A slight decrease in the overall mass of the car too .

I dont think any of these effects would be noticable for people like us .

You could get a set of stock wheel nuts powdercoated.
      this will sound stupid, but light weight nut are usually made out of aluminium and not designed to be used for freqeunt changing of rims. I can't think of anything logical towards them, as i believe a more durable hevier ones are safer for track use and long term use as well.

Stupid reason would be for mechanics to make more money when people realise light weight nuts can lose there thread, my mechanic get heaps oF these issues, when people do home jobs.
      Last edited by Mr.R; 18-09-08, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
        nothing to do with non-congruous alloy and steel thermal expansion rates?

either way, the old saying still goes:

"every gram counts"

or was that my dealer?
        LOL

yeah its just weight.. have you felt rays alum nuts? they are HEAPS light.
        makes little difference but hey every bit helps.

Comment

I think its just bling. Some alloy nut manufacturers recomend getting longer stud. So whats the point?

And yeh, use the right nut for your wheel.
          Deano.

Comment

Originally posted by hebe View Post
            Shouldn't be using a tapered nut on a ball seat wheel in the first place

But then again, there will always be ricers out there that have to do it!!
            i think he was replying to my post re those tapered -> ball seat washers.
            T U 8 8 Y R - 0 6 5 4 8

Comment

i thought they were jst mainly used for looks and that little bit less weight for the car.

although i was thinking that they would become loose a lot quicker than the normal wheel nuts due to the fact that they are lighter?

Comment

dont think the weight effects how well they hold the wheels. more to do with the shape and the hardness/softness of the metal.. imo

my rays nuts r fine!

Comment

Originally posted by 00dc2 View Post
                  yeah its just weight.. have you felt rays alum nuts? they are HEAPS light.
                  makes little difference but hey every bit helps.
                  yeah, but because $ outweighs benefit = *bling*
                  ... retired/

Comment

if you want bling just get a carbon fibre accessories.. i.e mugen spoiler, cf bonnet

Comment

I think it's bling too.

But I have noticed that a slight reduction of weight in the wheels make the cars turn in response better. Couldn't lightened lugs help with this?

Also couldn't this be through of as the same concept as a lightened fly?

Originally posted by ChargeR
                      Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Yes, but whats a flywheel, 4kgs? A decent one is designed biased to be lighter around the ouside and heavier in the inside.

A wheel/tyre 14kgs say? Most of that weight is heavier on the ouside, lighter in the middle.

^^^ in that regard, I think its very very very insignificant.
                        Deano.

Comment

Originally posted by VTECMACHINE View Post
                          But I have noticed that a slight reduction of weight in the wheels make the cars turn in response better.
                          from changing the wheelnuts?

*cough* bullshit *cough*
                          Last edited by tinkerbell; 19-09-08, 12:52 PM.
                          ... retired/

Comment

isn't it only a matter of grams lol??????

A few grams is not gonna make a "feelable" difference since the cars way a ton lol
                            DCIIR

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                              from changing the wheelnuts?

*cough* bullshit *cough*
                              i agree, no matter how light your new nuts are.. it will be impossible to notice any difference

again *cough* bullshit *cough*

Comment

well, he *MAY* not have meant just from the wheel nuts, becuse he didnt exactly say that - but it was implied...

when i change from my 16in street rims to my 15in track rims, the change in handling is very noticable, but that is in relation to a change from 7.0KG to 3.9KG...

so i bloody hope i notice it!
                                ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                                X