Catch cans catch stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catch cans catch stuff

After much deliberating on how to setup a catch can for a DC5, the Melbourne think-tank of wlee2, shin78 and mugsee decided on the optimal setup for the catch can on my DC5, and ghetto'ed it up before the last track day at Winton.

Not knowing what to expect before mounting it, results are in after draining it last Saturday.

After 1 track day (26laps) and about 400kms of street driving, the catch can that was originally empty, spewed out an orangy liquid that smelt like a mix of oil and petrol (as described by ChargeR). We suspect that the liquid is the result of degreaser residue and the oil that entered the catch can.

The final result? Catch cans catch stuff.
    Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Awesomeness .

It should be noted that the catch can accumulated all that crap without any baffling or anything in it. I suspect Mugsee's next plan is to add stainless steel wool and see whether that affects the amount of oil caught.

Comment

very nice mugsee

Comment

Mugesee, is that small tubing going directly to the pcv crank?

If so is that a good idea?

since the rocker cover / engine is jsut sucking in the oil / gases u initially got teh catch can to filter out.

Its liek your looping the pcv crank case back into the engine from what I can see.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
        Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
          Awesomeness .

It should be noted that the catch can accumulated all that crap without any baffling or anything in it. I suspect Mugsee's next plan is to add stainless steel wool and see whether that affects the amount of oil caught.
          QFT, although I still think that the catch can is big enough not to require the steel wool to hold the oil in.

Originally posted by Chi View Post
          Mugesee, is that small tubing going directly to the pcv crank?

If so is that a good idea?

since the rocker cover / engine is jsut sucking in the oil / gases u initially got teh catch can to filter out.

Its liek your looping the pcv crank case back into the engine from what I can see.
          From what I understand, the valve cover doesn't suck in air but rather dispels gases (and oil) from it. In a stock car setup, the vacuum source from the airbox draws gases from the valve cover back into the airbox.

With this in mind, the catch can setup I have retains the intake vacuum source to suck in the air/oils into the catch can, and is connected to the valve cover and the PCV, which it draws the excess air/oil from.

I know my explanation is kinda muddled, so let me know if you need some kind of diagram

The interesting thing when researching how to set up the catch can is the number of different ways various companies set theirs up. eg. Spoon attach the catch can directly to the valve cover only. I recall ChargeR mentioning something about the cornering g's contributing to oil overflowing at the top of valve cover, which is what Spoon is trying to collect. Another common setup is the PCV to the catch can back to the intake manifold.

Originally posted by Elwood
          What does it taste like?
          I'd be lying if I said it tasted like chicken, but would you believe me if I said turkey...?
          Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

where does that black tube from the catch tank go/come from, or connected to?
            this looks very similar to the Centrax version of the catch tank

Comment

Wait so Catch can, goes inbetween the little nozzle (I dunno what it's called) coming off the rocker cover, and the intake pipe correct?

Originally posted by ChargeR
              Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

dont look at a K to st up a B ricki...
                ... retired/

Comment

I know... But I have installed mine like I have said, and you mentioned before it can pose problems. I just want to know if I have installed it properly.

Originally posted by ChargeR
                  Evo is faster. Only buy the FD2R if you are a Honda fanboy. I would buy the FD2R. I am a Honda fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by tofu View Post
                    where does that black tube from the catch tank go/come from, or connected to?
                    this looks very similar to the Centrax version of the catch tank
                    That black tube connects to the intake pipe of Mugsee's Injen.

You have a good eye Tofu since as far as we know this catch can was originally fabricated by Centrax . I am sure mugsee will correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

ChargeR is no liar, except when he refers to peoples' mums.

The catch can came from a car that originally was from QLD (including Odyssey battery), so we're 99% sure that its the Centrax catch can.

Just for comparison, I found a picture of Evan's old DC5R with the same catch can but setup differently.

Comment

Originally posted by VTECMACHINE View Post
                        I know... But I have installed mine like I have said, and you mentioned before it can pose problems. I just want to know if I have installed it properly.
                        if it is like:

Catch can goes inbetween the little nozzle coming off the rocker cover, and the intake pipe correct?
                        you have failed.

on a B18C - it goes between the intake manifold nipple and the existing catch tank outlet, which is on the back of the engine block...

PS - this is aq K thread, start a B one if you like...

MUGSEE - do NOT use steel wool, use a pre-formed scouring pad(s) - made of stainless steel.

steel wool and be more easily ingested to the engine, it is dangerous.
                        ... retired/

Comment

wouldn't it be better if it wasn't connected back into the intake pipe and have a breather like Evan's setup?

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
                            We suspect that the liquid is the result of degreaser residue and the oil that entered the catch can.
                            can also be water, plus a very toxic mix of hydrocarbons...

always avoid touching or breathing crankcase waste byproducts...
                            ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tofu View Post
                              wouldn't it be better if it wasn't connected back into the intake pipe and have a breather like Evan's setup?
                              i dunno about K series, only B series tofu...

FYI - the B series already has a 'breather'
                              ... retired/

Comment

Working...
                              X