Catch cans catch stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
    i dunno about K series, only B series tofu...

FYI - the B series already has a 'breather'
    thanks for clearing that up tinks, i was sorta referring/interested in the K series.

Comment

yes, lets keep this thread K focused.
      ... retired/

Comment

Thanks for the reminder Tinks. When ChargeR was referring to steel wool, I also assumed that he was referring to what you were thinking:

I completely agree that the other kind of steel wool is too fine and could be easily picked up by the engine for a recipe for disaster.

Originally posted by tofu View Post
        wouldn't it be better if it wasn't connected back into the intake pipe and have a breather like Evan's setup?
        If a breather was installed where the black tube back to the intake is connected, I wouldn't know where the vacuum source to draw the oil into the catch can would come from.

That being said, I've taken another look at Evan's setup and can't work out how it would work. Can someone enlighten me?

can also be water, plus a very toxic mix of hydrocarbons...

always avoid touching or breathing crankcase waste byproducts...
        We didn't touch any of the manky stuff that came out but both of us had a bit of a sniff. Thanks for this heads up! I'll make sure that ChargeR is the only one that sniffs it next time.
        Last edited by mugsee; 28-05-08, 11:25 AM.
        Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

hmm good point mugsee, btw....very funny..."stool wool" LOL

Comment

hmm good point mugsee, btw....very funny..."stool wool" LOL
            haha. oops, that was a genuine typo.

Post edited.
            Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
              From what I understand, the valve cover doesn't suck in air but rather dispels gases (and oil) from it. In a stock car setup, the vacuum source from the airbox draws gases from the valve cover back into the airbox.

With this in mind, the catch can setup I have retains the intake vacuum source to suck in the air/oils into the catch can, and is connected to the valve cover and the PCV, which it draws the excess air/oil from.

I know my explanation is kinda muddled, so let me know if you need some kind of diagram

The interesting thing when researching how to set up the catch can is the number of different ways various companies set theirs up. eg. Spoon attach the catch can directly to the valve cover only. I recall ChargeR mentioning something about the cornering g's contributing to oil overflowing at the top of valve cover, which is what Spoon is trying to collect. Another common setup is the PCV to the catch can back to the intake manifold.

I'd be lying if I said it tasted like chicken, but would you believe me if I said turkey...?

Last time I was playing with my intake and had the engine own, the rocker cover section u have connected to the catch can was suckiing in air.

It sure didnt feel like it was dispersing gases.

Im sure that bit is creating a vaccuum of some sort.

this is what I thougth the basic catch can set up is :

PCV Crank case -----> catch can-----> IM / Intake.

From what I can see on your set up you have.

PCV (blowing out gas)+ Rocker cover ( sucking in due to vaccuum)---> catch can -------> intake ( sucking in).

Now If i am correct about the rocker cover, that the Rocker cover is sucking in air then u are just looping the gases from teh PCV back directly into the engine with very little filtering in the catch can.

Another train of thought, Wouldnt it be beter to have 2 catch cans to filtrate better.

One for the IM and intake, and one for teh PCV crank case.

In a sense teh Intake wont be sucking in air from the PCV and the PCV will only blow its gases. oil into the can?

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
              Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

shouldn't the catch can(s) goes where the red dot is (and you move the PCV valve to the outlet side of the catch can to remain legal)...

Attached Files
                ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
                  From what I understand, the valve cover doesn't suck in air but rather dispels gases (and oil) from it. In a stock car setup, the vacuum source from the airbox draws gases from the valve cover back into the airbox.

see above diagram,

the valve cover is crankcase IN (from air intake)

the PCV valve is crankcase OUT (to intake manifold)

NB - the vacuum source is the manifold, not air box hose...
                  Last edited by tinkerbell; 28-05-08, 12:53 PM.
                  ... retired/

Comment

shouldn't the catch can(s) goes where the red dot is (and you move the PCV valve to the outlet side of the catch can to remain legal)...

Actually You might have got it rightt here dave.

Put the catch can between the IM and the PCV.

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
                    Horse power is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Comment

so...what will happen if the beather pipe is not connected to the crank case?
                      does it disrupt the system?

Comment

so...what will happen if the beather pipe is not connected to the crank case?
                        does it disrupt the system?
                        then the crankcase is drawing unfiltered air and also dispels air at rest (ie when engine is off) which are both bad for environment (and hence both are illegal for road use).

EDIT: no, it does not disrupt the system (except by negating the systems purpose)
                        Last edited by tinkerbell; 28-05-08, 01:01 PM.
                        ... retired/

Comment

i should note that any setup that "vents to atmosphere" is illegal... it must be a sealed and closed system...
                          ... retired/

Comment

then the crankcase is drawing unfiltered air and also dispels air at rest (ie when engine is off) which are both bad for environment (and hence both are illegal for road use).

EDIT: no, it does not disrupt the system (except by negating the systems purpose)
                            what is the systems' intended purpose? containing the "bad" gases/fluids?

Comment

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/attachme...1&d=1211942722
                              This is the configuration that I advocated, however i was not part of the Melbourne 'think tank' when this device was installed, I was probably in bed hung over or something, so I was not consulted .

Comment

So back to the topic thread, the way Mugsee has set up his catch can would deem incorrect?

Comment

Working...
                                X