Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Members Review - Mugen Air Intake for DC2

G'day guys!

Just got my Intake put in down at ProConcept, took about an hour to do then i drove home during a dry spell (roads were dry, even after all this rain!)

Coming from the stock airbox, i didn't know what to expect from the pricier mugen part - and am writing this to hopefully give some guidance for people trying to make the decision of what intake to go for.

It has been said that the intake will give little to hardly any gains at the wheels, and although i have never driven with an injen cai - let me just say that the mugen gave me a real nice kick in the pants.

Immediately i felt an increase of gains throughout the RPM range. I can only describe it as a throaty, strong sound which is a noticable change from stock. With the resonator gone it makes a world of differance too.

The car revving sounds a lot 'cleaner' as well (if you have ever been in my car prior to this you might no what i mean). I don't really to know what to attribute this too, maybe the design of the Mugen intake (funnel filter) but it is definately a change for the better.

The stock airbox + resonator is also quite heavy for what it is, the mugen made from fibreglass? is very noticably lighter than stock if trying to deplete weight is important to you.

My dc2r running 4-2-1 xforce headers, custom b-pipe, xforce cat+catback with a 3 inch tip also gave gains over stock (in the butt dyno - im sure a better quality setup would fair out better), but the mugen intake was definately a great purchase, and sets the platform for other more serious mods.

Things to watch out for:

The intake itself is very fragile, so when having the clutch changed at a mechanic or any work around that area damage could happen to it.

..and the price tag. (Paid $800 shipped).

All in all, the Mugen is a noticable increase in response + power from the stok airbox, and highly recommend it.

Steve.

note: i havnt taken the car to the dyno to show before + after fwkw, all changes are felt in my backside

Nice review, but is 800 worth it for 1-2kw gains? Why not jsut make your own piping with an air filter, you'll probably yeild more gains that way. Thats my opinion. You should spend the moeny of some decent quality headers that can yield 10kw atw rather than 1-2kw.
    BYP Racing & Developments
    Built. Tuned. Driven
    Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

^Duely noted, but this is a review so people can make up their own mind.

(And headers are one of my next purchases - leaning towards 5zigen, but would this still provide noticable gains with the xforce cat+catback?).

but is 800 worth it for 1-2kw gains
      I don't know how many actual kw gain there is, but there is a definate increase.
      Last edited by Elwood; 02-02-08, 11:31 AM.

Comment

hey steve!!
        good to hear that u fitted a mugen intake into your dc2r =) i always thought that it was made from carbon fibre, because that's what they use for the euro and dc5r too i think... not too sure about dc2r. but congrats =)

i just purchased a dc5r yesterday. inspecting on monday and then picking it up after that.
        '03 Integra DC5 Type R
        Naturally Aspirated, K20A i-Vtec

Wakefield Park: 1:13.047 w/ street tyres
        Eastern Creek Int'l Raceway: 1:57.969 w/ street tyres
        Power: 155Kw with Mugen N1 ECU

Comment

Leon!

yeh now im working the moneys coming in.

Rota Slipstreams soon > ecu > coilovers > new headers.

Nah the dc2 is fibreglass im pretty sure..

Congrats on your new dc5r!

Comment

Congrads for you both.....nice write up.....thx for sharing...
            Mugen Whore #2

ヒール&トウのやりかた
            1)ブレーキを踏む
            2)クラッチを切る
            3)シフトダウンしなから、
              アクセルをぶかす
            4)クラッチをつなぐ
            :blah:
            インテ君と共に歩み続けて早1年・・・いろんな所へ出かけ楽しく過ごしてきましたが、事情により手放すこと となりました。(T0T)
            人生で初めて走る楽しさを教えてくれた「インテグラ TYPE R」・・・初めて走った時は何もかも衝撃的でした。今でも走る楽しさは変わらないですが。。。残念です。今 まで本当に感動をありがとう!

Comment

Cool review... you won't regret it... especially at $800 shipped - that's a good price! I paid more for mine and I'm happy with it.

As far as the 1-2 kw gain for $800... I got gains of about 5 kw atw... I have dyno sheets to prove but haven't got a scanner. This is comparing full stock with just adding a mugen intake only. And even if you don't yield 5 kw atw for your particular setup, I think the response itself is worth the money. I can say personally out of all the mods I've done, intake, header, exhaust, the mugen intake is definitely the best mod for a stock dc2r.

Comment

very nice write up Elwood

the biggest gain is probably not actually from the part itself, but from the removal of the restrictive OEM airbox assembly... (which is what fatboyz glossed over in his opinion that a pipe and high-flow filter would be just as good...)
                ... retired/

Comment

seems to be a good intake.
                  i personally have an injen cai and find that there is a dip in the low to mid range revs. but when comparing these two i think on track would perform pretty similar considering your revs should be in vtec pretty much all the time.

though if i had the money i probably would buy the mugen but then i do love the induction sound of the injen (i think everyone does :P)

Comment

Originally posted by raydc2r
                    Cool review... you won't regret it... especially at $800 shipped - that's a good price! I paid more for mine and I'm happy with it.

As far as the 1-2 kw gain for $800... I got gains of about 5 kw atw... I have dyno sheets to prove but haven't got a scanner. This is comparing full stock with just adding a mugen intake only. And even if you don't yield 5 kw atw for your particular setup, I think the response itself is worth the money. I can say personally out of all the mods I've done, intake, header, exhaust, the mugen intake is definitely the best mod for a stock dc2r.
                    Thanks Ray, as i said though i havnt actually dyno'd my car before and after but it would be a good idea. Definate increase in response + power though - exhaust also helps abit too.

Originally posted by macroman69
                    though if i had the money i probably would buy the mugen but then i do love the induction sound of the injen (i think everyone does :P)
                    Yes i must say i heard a mirage with one and it sounded very shmick!

I heard my car for the first time with the airbox yesterday at oran park with someone else driving and i personally could hear the differance outside. (about 150 metres away =D)

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post
                      ^Duely noted, but this is a review so people can make up their own mind.

(And headers are one of my next purchases - leaning towards 5zigen, but would this still provide noticable gains with the xforce cat+catback?).

I don't know how many actual kw gain there is, but there is a definate increase.
                      It you want decent gains, you'll need to set aside 1k-1.5k for headers. If you have a budget of the 700ish go with the Hytech replica Tri-Y design.

DTR/SSR from the states makes some nice quality header proven to make good power.

I've used Toda header on my B18c, they are good but i like the design and gains of the Tri-Y set-up. Cheaper and do the same job.

Dont know about 5zigen, people havent rave on about them much.

For header choice, go with something that have worked and not look at dyno numbers.

With header alone i chopped off half a sec down the 1.4mile. Headers are a very important MOD to a dc2r.
                      BYP Racing & Developments
                      Built. Tuned. Driven
                      Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

^Yeh i was looking second hand for headers - not brand new so TODA may be in budget.

Comment

Hi guys;

Instead of starting a new thread - thought I would just add onto this one.

I too just purchased a second hand mugen airbox and installed.

The verdict - Linear improvement throughout the rev range!

Coming from a stock airbox assembly w/o the resonator I found the sound in VTEC to be (more vicious) that OEM however the induction noise down low more quiet.

All in all - pickup is excellent and my car now screams even more - Very impressed; well worth the money!

Only query is that of a slight whistling sounds at 25% - 50% throttle at low revs.

Why is this and is this normal????
                          "Power is nothing without control" - Peter Tyson (Pirelli)

http://thethrillofdriving.blogspot.com/

Comment

Normal.

Its fun

Comment

whistling sound is normal... whenever i drive i always aim to step on the throttle so it makes that whistling sound...

i heard somewhere that when it whistles, that is the "perfect" airflow and speed of air running through the intake system...

Comment

Working...
                              X