Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
    ahhh, yes... elements

idea has been binned, unless i can get small thermo fans?

e240 - this is where i mounted mine:

I'm actually mounting mine tonight and I have planned to mount it in the same exact position as you have.

Thats a massive oil cooler..but I figure 110~120 in the sump is actually pretty ok...by the time oil gets pumped through the cooler with a cool blast of air, the temperature drop would be quite sufficient.

The other thing you can consider is a Water spray onto the cooler..LOL
    MFactory Performance Products

Follow my journey to Superlap at: http://nextstopsuperlap.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

see here for full installation pics:

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=13
      ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by euGeR View Post
        Oil tends to break down faster and thins at higher temps - thermal stability. If Oil breaks down or thins, then it loses its protection properties, so under heavy prolonged use, this may promote component failure (extreme case). SAE or ISO is rated at 100 degrees C - base line for specifications. I'd say what Noel is running would be about optimal 90-100C.
        Eugene - Well added comments and Amen to that on Oil Character 101. Apart from using the correct oil (Using off the shelf rating and mostly self blending knowledge) which attributes to quick cooling and consistent engine response. Vented bonnets with relevant aero engineered bumpers drive alot of excessive heat out and provide an improved cooling path as well. As you'd already know the basics being a track enthusiast yourself that the oversized core of radiators, uprated water pumps serve their purpose.

I'm gonna stay away from DIY and stay with proven technology. (BTW Dave, would you believe if I have a better recommendation without adding DIY parts to aid cooling/pressure flow?)

Comment

what is it Noel?

you always have such interesting recommendations!
          ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
            see here for full installation pics:

http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=13
            Thanks...Installed it last night...except,
            For the Powersteering cooler, I flattened the bracket (middle part) and put spacers at the end, to basically push the PWS cooler back, closer towards the radiator.

Otherwise, everything else, pretty much the same.
            MFactory Performance Products

Follow my journey to Superlap at: http://nextstopsuperlap.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

nice info guys another question if anyone know whats actually the difference between the Trust coolers and Earls? just the brand name and the blue bling bling
              ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

Comment

perry, most cores actually are different. I havent ever used the Trust, so I cant comment on the differences, but I changed from an Earls, to a Serk Mengston and the same quoted 19row core (even tho the SM counted like 21) cools the oil temp down by another 5 degrees.

Comment

The core of Trust is made by Earls. While Trust adds R&D with correct piping, fitment and attachments along with "most suitable" direction mounting positions and different core recommendations for different uses.

Comment

CHeers Noel
                    ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

Comment

can someone pls explain the importance of an oil cooler when tracking a car??

after reading through the whole thread... i dont think it was covered...
                      http://kingtan.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by supernatural View Post
                        can someone pls explain the importance of an oil cooler when tracking a car??

after reading through the whole thread... i dont think it was covered...

extended high rpm engine speed(ie driving on track) causes fluids to heat up to a range not normally experienced by normal street driving, an oil cooler stops oil from reaching the abnormally high ( and unsafe) temps that tracking your car generates.
                        ClubITR- newcastle

Comment

so wat would be considered a normal temp?? from wat i read... its around 100-110?? but doesnt all the oils have diff "optimum" temp level?
                          http://kingtan.com.au

Comment

A few years ago, I was watching video footage of ITRs production endurance racing in Japan. A large oil temperature gauge sat squarely on the middle of the dash. When the temperature hit 130 degrees celcius, the driver would turn on the interior car heaters. Used to do the trick and stop the oil temperature rising. If the temperature hit 140 degrees, drivers were backing off until temperature came down.

On Type R Hondas, there is a oil to water intercooler that sits between the oil filter and the block (sandwich type). Normally, the water temperature regulates around 90 degrees. As the oil temperature rises above 90 degrees, heat transfer from the oil to the water occurs and the higher the difference in temperature, the greater the rate of heat transfer. As oil temperature rises to around the 130 degree mark, usually the water temperature is starting to get to a 100+ degrees. The total cooling capacity of the car is starting to be exceeded. Turning on your interior heaters removes heat from the water lowering the temperature of the water which in turn helps reduce the oil temperature.

When I raced my JDM DC2 Spec. 96, I went even further in that I directly coupled the heater hoses from the intercooler to my under the dash radiator used for heating the inside of the car. Sometimes on a real hot day, I would turn on the interior heater fan just to help a little more. Fixed all my oil overheating problems.

Since then, I fitted a larger all aluminium double core radiator and never had heating problems (oil or water) ever again.

What are some of the considerations? 1. A bigger radiator may cost less than a good oil cooler, but does add slightly more weight to the car than an oil cooler. 2. A oil cooler means more piping and plumbing. More things to go wrong. 3. Oil coolers do drop oil pressure. Less oil pressure usually means you are operating your car slightly closer to the limit.

Just on another note replying to another post, I was told by both Mugen and Spoon in Japan to use the newer longer oil filter with the smaller diameter than the older shorter fatter filters. The newer type filter reduces oil pressure fluctuation maintaining a higher more stable reading and yes, the later model filter off a DC5 fits the DC2. There are more simple inexpensive tricks that can be done, but maybe another time.
                            Last edited by Evatec; 17-09-06, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Evan you have a dc5 now, you will know of the air con condenser infront of the radiator? Would it help that much if that wasnt there and air was directly hitting the radiator?

Comment

The DC5 radiator is quite a bit bigger than the DC2 unit. Sure, a little less restriction in front of the radiator would help with air flow, but I find that the radiator in a DC5 is large enough to adequately keep the engine cool even on the hottest of track days. The last time I raced on 6 September, the ambient air temperature was 29 degrees. Still quite warm for September. On race 2, the highest the water temperature reached was 98 degrees on the last lap and the intake air temperature was 37 degrees at the same time. By the time I arrived back in the pits, the water temperature was back to 87 degrees. The DC5 seems to stay reasonably cool even with the standard radiator and the A/C condenser.

By the way, I still have my DC2 and it is still fast. 61.96 seconds on the sprint circuit at QR qualifying for the top 10 shotout in 2003. Made it to the top 10 fastest cars for the day. Unfortunately, our times weren't released for the final, but I felt I went even faster. Did a 64.50 lap on the clubman circuit at QR last year in the DC2.

Comment

Working...
                                X