No announcement yet.

Oil Cooler recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, it must ahve just dropped out of VTEC for a fraction of a second...

when i was running a -4 VTEC oil line on my B20VTEC i was dropping out of VTEC at 3 places at Wakefield.

i upgraded to -6 line and it seems fine now... (not yet tested at Wakie, but did fine at EC)

if it has only happened once to you, i guess that was just unlucky...
    ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
      i measure my temps from the sump.
      Note that the sump temp is not indicative of Oil after oil cooler temp.
      The engine still runs hot and the oil takes the heat away prior to falling into the sump. Hence, sump temp will always be higher.
      MFactory Performance Products

Follow my journey to Superlap at: http://nextstopsuperlap.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

What range of oil temp. is safety (measuring in sump)?

Comment

Originally posted by e240 View Post
          Note that the sump temp is not indicative of Oil after oil cooler temp.
          The engine still runs hot and the oil takes the heat away prior to falling into the sump. Hence, sump temp will always be higher.
          Mine is in the sump too. if the sump does read higher then good. i would prefer it read a little higher so i have some safety margin.

Comment

Originally posted by Edw-R View Post
            What range of oil temp. is safety (measuring in sump)?
            After following the replies in this thread, it looks like 120C is where people decide to go back into the pits...

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Comment

but would the bigger the cooler will effect the oil pressure?
              ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

Comment

Trust 10 row user here. After 4-5 hard laps of wakefield the temp would be hovering around 120C; this was on a fairly hot day. Last time I went it was much cooler, never saw the temp go above 110 degrees.
                ClubITR Team NSX Owner #001 (Berlina Black)

Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #010 - Evo 9 on E85 - Sold

DC2R - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                  but would the bigger the cooler will effect the oil pressure?
                  i think the types of line/fittings/attachments will affect this more than the size of the oil cooler itself...

hebe - yeah, 125 is where my mind backs off.. (well, it is 260'F that i see!)
                  ... retired/

Comment

I spoke to an engineer @ Shell Australia many years ago and he said oil starts to degrade at 150 deg. cel. so 120 is a nice and safe margin

He did also mention that having too low an oil temp is not good as any condensation in the oil doesn't get evaporated.
                    happyhong says:
                    aus only have 3 r
                    happyhong says:
                    civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

Does anybody have any info on the relation of oil and water temps?

(i.e. do they both rise at the same rate, what does a decrease in water temp mean to oil temperatures and vice versa?)

Comment

I'm not a very technical minded person but I'd assume that the rise of the temps won't be at the same rate as what if one has a upgraded radiator but not an oil cooler, wouldn't that mean that the person would have lower water temps then say oil temp?

Don't mind me

Comment

Oil temps should drop with water temps as the radiator removes heat from the engine, therefore a more efficient radiator/thermostat etc should (I assume) also reduce oil temps.

Does anybody have any graphs/datalogs of oil vs water temps?

If people are pitting when their oil temp is at 120 degrees, what is their water temp at?

Comment

water is weird, it stays around 90 then hits 100 then stays on 100 for a few laps then quickly starts to rise again to upto 109'C (where oil = 125ish)

i note the oil is more progressive in its increase rather than sudden like the h2o temp...

(note i only have a 1.1 bar radiator cap)

i also note oil drops temp quickwer than water does...

oh, and this is with the rad. fan on all the time...
                            ... retired/

Comment

When I did the thermostat + twin core radiator on the skyline. Oil temp dropped and remained steady even when spirited driving was done.

Before this I would see oil temp to 110 normal and 130+ spirited, after the change it would be normal 90 and spiritied sat on 100.
                              Track would probably push it up more but goes to show the two are relevant.
                              happyhong says:
                              aus only have 3 r
                              happyhong says:
                              civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

At what point does water temp become a concern?

So the large rise in oil temps begin when water starts to rise above 100, or is it progressive all the way to 125?

Just wondering if there is a certain point where the efficiency of the radiator/cooling system starts to dictate the rise in oil temps?

Comment

Working...
                                X