No announcement yet.

The Best Gearbox Oil Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda transmissions and differentials are very sensitive, when matching appropriate fluids, it's important to consider the following;

- Maintenance period (How often the change will occur)
    - Condition of use (How the car is driven and under what conditions)
    - Other modifications (Uprated flywheel, heavier clutch)

What works for other makes/model will very likely not work for Hondas. Even when specific viscous and weight is met on product manufacturer's label. Hence gear crunching and slipping will occur from premature wear effectively indicating contact and wrong fluid usage.

I have used Castrol Syntrans, Syntrax, Motul Shelf Products, Specific Custom Blends, Royal Purple and Redline. These products have a common characteristic of being "unoptimal" in operation when cold resulting in hard gear changes, differential lack of response and when up to temperature, cannot sustain "high/extreme" usage.

My conclusion comes back to genuine Honda MTF/MTF-II (JDM Only) and Honda Differential with increase maintenance period. As often as you drop your engine oil, drop the rest as well. Not only do they sustain well under extreme conditions, they don't have the "erratic" poor consistency breakdown resulted from "so called competition/racing blends".

Comment

very informative post there noel... wondering where do u get the JDM fluid from...
      http://kingtan.com.au

Comment

I must agree with Noel. I tried Motul once, just thought i'd give it a go and see if it would make and difference. It made a difference alright, it made my box crunch. I really don't know y, but it scared me so went back to OEM, have never had an issue with it since.

Comment

I use OEM, change every 20k instead of 40k like the service manual specified. When I was tracking regularly, I was changing every 10k.
          I am a lesbian trapped inside a male body

Comment

How much is OEM tranny fluid?
            Just trying to compare the cost of OEM to aftermarket 'performance' fluids.
            happyhong says:
            aus only have 3 r
            happyhong says:
            civic R, integra R and jonnieR

Comment

ive tried ELF gearbox oil supplied by adrian @ TODA once.
              the shift into all gears was very very smooth.
              Since then i've moved back to OEM gearbox oil, noticeable difference though.

Comment

OEM Honda MTF

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
                  Castrol Syntrax synthetic 75W/90

$25 per litre, need 2.2 litres...
                  where did you source it from?
                  ClubITR | Like

Comment

I have always used Redline Super Light Shock Proof and usually change it every 10 000kms. DC5R uses 1.9L

By far the best gearbox oil i have used. Way smoother gear changes than OEM and also Endless
                    NA is BEST

59.4 QR Spint - Qld's Quickest DC5R

Comment

I've tried Motul, Honda MTF and Castrol Syntrax - would probably have them in that order too from best to worst. I've found the best thing to do is just change it often, depending on how the gearbox feels I'll change it every 5k kms, or wait til every 10k kms.
                      ClubITR Team NSX Owner #001 (Berlina Black)

Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #010 - Evo 9 on E85 - Sold

DC2R - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Jim80y View Post
                        I've tried Motul, Honda MTF and Castrol Syntrax - would probably have them in that order too from best to worst. I've found the best thing to do is just change it often, depending on how the gearbox feels I'll change it every 5k kms, or wait til every 10k kms.
                        5k?? do you do much track work??

if not.. i wouldn't be changing it every 5k..
                        Team AMS

Comment

Nope hardly go track these days. Really comes down to how the gearbox feels, if shift quality feels crap I'll change every 5k kms, if not then I'll wait til the next service.
                          ClubITR Team NSX Owner #001 (Berlina Black)

Team Misplaced CT9A Owner #010 - Evo 9 on E85 - Sold

DC2R - Sold

Comment

i get Syntrax from Autobarn/Repco/Autone,

but i always call ahead first to make sure they have enough...

my Syntrax has been in since B20VTEC which is ~20,000km, and still feels OK, my 3rd gear synchro is fucked though...

OT - holy crap! have had the B20VTEC in for 20'000km OMG!!!1111one!
                            ... retired/

Comment

felix - the oil is bright red in colour, but coems in a silver bottle
                              ... retired/

Comment

Castrol Syntrax Synthetic is good.

I have a commercial account with Castrol, will have to check prices on various lubricants and see if I could organise a group/bulk buy.

Comment

Working...
                                X