DC5 oil plugs !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5 oil plugs !

Hey guys, I just have a noob question. I frequently change my cars oil and have realised how hard it is to take off the drain and fill plugs.. Any tips with taking them off ? Especially the fill plug for the transmission oil.. Its like a trying to move a mountain.

This belongs in the General Automotive section bud!

What do you usually use or do when taking them off? A breaker bar?
    Shak's S2000

Comment

Use the correct washer so you dont get corrosion. Also if u do it superman tight expect it to be hard to take back off
      sigpic
      128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Sorry Shak !
        I usually just use a socket set. It's quite hard to use anything near the gearbox area..

@Karl
        Dam.. Should have changed the washers. Any ideas what to do now ?

Comment

Check out the Honda recommended torque setting on the sump plug - they're not meant to be done up very tight so you shouldn't have problems undoing them if you do it up to spec.
          Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
            Check out the Honda recommended torque setting on the sump plug - they're not meant to be done up very tight so you shouldn't have problems undoing them if you do it up to spec.
            Yep, and if you use a new washer each time you'll have no problems getting them undone.

Comment

Thanks guys.. Any ideas how to loosen them in their current state ?

Comment

WD40 and a breaker bar mate.

Comment

Get a breaker bar with a long extension arm or a pipe to slide onto the end of it to increase your turning force. Once it's loosened, switch over to a socket wrench.
                  Lisa is a nut. She has a rubber butt. Everytime she turns around it goes putt putt.

CW DC5R Build

Comment

Thanks Jaz and Krob. Problem is.. the bolt is kind of screwed as the constant twist has shave bits of the bolt off. I am screwed..

Comment

Which plug are you trying to get out?

If it is the engine sump bolt, you could use a hammer and chisel to get the bolt to crack
                      Sleeping Performance & Mechanical Repairs: Balance, Feedback, Response

Ph: +61397947767
                      Address: 6/253 Princes Hwy, Dandenong VIC 3175
                      Email: josh@sleepingperformancemr.com.au
                      Facebook: www.facebook.com/sleepingperformancemr

Comment

Oh deer, how did you round off the bolt ?!!!?!?!??!
                        Into Gundam and Anime?! Check out my business at www.facebook.com/officialgundamuniverse

www.gundamuniverse.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by sleepingperformance View Post
                          Which plug are you trying to get out?

If it is the engine sump bolt, you could use a hammer and chisel to get the bolt to crack
                          Its the transmission fill plug....

Originally posted by eLtrix View Post
                          Oh deer, how did you round off the bolt ?!!!?!?!??!
                          I was just trying to turning it with a lot of force and it kept slipping.. Ended up round the bolt. Not entirely but pretty bad.

Comment

Are you using the right point socket? If not, get the 6 point socket and if it's the plug's semi-okay it should come loose

If it's shagged, get a vice grip on it (should be enough room to go from below), and a hammer tap should set it loose.

Comment

if its rounded off. hammer on a slightly to small imperial socket.
                              sigpic
                              128.8kw Atws @ 1065kg - 13.875 sec @ 100.26 mph http://forum.clubitr.com.au/showthre...ion&highlight=

Comment

Working...
                              X