No announcement yet.

Civic Type R to return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed to that tooo K20 and slap a snail =).
    ek9-->ED civic--> eg--> S2K-->JDM DC2R-->EP3

Comment

More confirmation!

The next Civic Type R is virtually a certainty for the Australian market, with the local director of Honda confirming that work is already underway to get the hardcore hot-hatch here.

Although technical details of powertrain, transmission and even body style have yet to be officially confirmed, Honda Australia Director Stephen Collins told TMR this week that the new Civic Type R is definitely on his wish list.

“Civic Type R has a long history in Australia, so that’s a project that we are definitely working on,” Mr. Collins said.

However, Collins admits the next Type R is highly unlikely to arrive in 2014. Instead, a debut sometime in 2015 is the more likely scenario.

“I’m pretty confident that we’ll be able to get it to the Australian market, but the timing at this stage, I’m not sure when that’ll be.” Collins said.

“But I think it’s an important car to have in our line up.

“The sporty heritage that we have and particularly the Type R brand itself is something that I’d love to bring back to the market as soon as possible.”

The revival of the Civic Type R will be welcome news for Honda fans, with the nameplate last seen in Honda’s local showrooms in early 2012.

But although the return of the Civic Type R has already been confirmed by Honda’s global boss Takanobu Ito, don’t expect it to resemble its predecessors.

Besides the Japan-only FD2 Civic Type R sedan, previous Type Rs were three-door hatchbacks powered by high-revving naturally-aspirated four-cylinder motors.

The new car will likely be a five-door hatch, and is expected to use a turbocharger to boost output from its 1.6 litre four-pot.

Other rumours have the next-gen Type R utilising a hybrid powertrain in conjunction with a turbocharger, and even a twin-clutch automatic transmission

Whatever the case, one thing’s for certain: with Ito promising that the new Type R will be faster around the Nurburgring than a Renault Megane RS265 or Opel Astra OPC, Honda’s next hi-po Civic could well be the hottest hatch of all time.

Source
      ClubITR | Like

Comment

Auto version of type R?I hope they dont =/ just ruined it manual only all the way for type r!
        BNR34 Build [SOLD]
        APB DC5R Build [SOLD]
        Daily/Track Civic EG Build [SOLD]
        NSEX

Comment

Good news that it's coming, but I hope auto/turbo/hybrid are just rumours.

Type R's should be manual NA 2 Litre 2/3 doors !

Comment

I say bring back the integra type r. It has a longer history than the civic type r. We've really only had then fn2r civic being sold in aus.
            sigpic

Comment

Time for me to get a job oversees and buy a rare car and do a personal import.

Comment

Originally posted by tyk View Post
                Good news that it's coming, but I hope auto/turbo/hybrid are just rumours.

Type R's should be manual NA 2 Litre 2/3 doors !
                Have to get with the times.
                2.0L NA simply isn't enough to compete, in both performance and cost, with turbocharged hot hatches nowadays.
                I for one would love a turbo Type R hehe

Having said that, I agree that auto-only and/or hybrid would definitely suck =[

Comment

No one loves a high revving na engine mated to a sweet 6 speed more than me, but the times they are a changing, the goal posts have shifted, and today's cars, made heavy with all the whizz bang gadgets everyone expects, means to go fast and be easy to drive in stop/go traffic means you need some down low, and turbos have some down low. It means an auto, and double clutch is a fare option, even though I'd prefer to see a standard 7 speed box.
                  Yes it's sad to see but if we want Honda to be back on the top of the mantle, where we know they should be, then we need to show support, and get the type-r name back the respect it so rightly deserves
                  Amen
                  02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by felixR View Post
                    “Civic Type R has a long history in Australia, so that’s a project that we are definitely working on,” Mr. Collins said.
                    lolwut? We never got EK9, EP3 or FD2R... long history of what? The FN2?

Comment

Fk it ill just go with a more generic turbo with a 6 speed like an mps.

Comment

Don't be so hung up on the tranny guys,
                        I used to be dead set against auto's
                        Then I drove my old mans 135i and then an 09 m3 with the dual clutch, while it does take something away from a spirited drive through the twistys, it also adds something, the box shifts quicker than you could ever dream of with a manual, blipping the downshifts like a pro, and in the mean time you have two hands on the tiller punting hard
                        02 Indy Yellow s2000::::::04 Arctic Blue Pearl DC5R::::::05 White B2600::::::10 Ibis White Q5

Comment

Originally posted by Symphorced View Post
                          lolwut? We never got EK9, EP3 or FD2R... long history of what? The FN2?
                          lol

*sigh* Honda Australia

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
                            Then I drove my old mans 135i and then an 09 m3 with the dual clutch, while it does take something away from a spirited drive through the twistys, it also adds something, the box shifts quicker than you could ever dream of with a manual, blipping the downshifts like a pro, and in the mean time you have two hands on the tiller punting hard
                            Its not about that though. These new cars are just so... New. They dont feel like cars anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by gunpoons View Post
                              Not chasing the numbers though. Not about how quick you're shifting but the enjoyment of shifting and the raw feel of driving and control over your automobile. I miss my dc5 and I love my 86 and I would love to eventually own another type r; but only if they maintain the a clean and pure driving experience.

Comment

Yeah but what I was trying to say guys is if you get a car with enough performance, good handling and steering feel, it can still be an enjoyable and engaging drive even without changing the gears yourself

Comment

Working...
                                X