Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone wish the DC5 was RWD due to the 86/BRZ hype?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinkerbell View Post
    i personally see no appeal in a brz/86... only hype and cost cutting measures by desperate car manufacturers...

but maybe i am not a car enthusiast?

and a simply aging cynic who is sadened by the demise fo the word 'styling' and the increasing simialrity of most new car designs... especially those out of Japan...
    I may not see eye to eye with you Tinkerbell but this comment i completely agree with.. I see nothing appealing about it but that's me anyway..

Look, i can complain and cry to the heavens about how much Honda should of made alot of there 'performance' cars RWD but to be honest, i've grown to love my DC5 for what it is, it's a beautiful FWD Car, it is well balanced stock and it has so much room for improvement if you chose to put abit of $$ in to it..

DC5 Brand new i believe was $43,000 (Standard Type R)
    Thats going back too 2001-2002...

Car's seem to be cheaper to make these days that's why there is $15,000 difference... But you can't compare something like this especially since our car were first starting to be made 10 years ago....
    Last edited by MYDC5R; 28-06-12, 07:51 PM.

Comment

If I had $40k to purchase the 86 GTS, I'd save some more and get R34 GTR.
      Integra Type R
      Integra Type S
      S2000

Comment

Love my DC2, but took an 86 out and loved that as much - if not more so. Test jockey with me had accidentally left/switched the traction control off

FWD can't compare to RWD for that fun factor - and I speak as someone who has been driving modified Honda FWDs (and an S800) since 1984.

The 86 is a refreshing, affordable beast that will possibly drive the Integra/CTR prices down as it's the new FOTM and fun to boot. Honda dropped the ball by not releasing an enthusiast car that the market could love at a decent price - Toyota/Subaru have out-marketed/out-played them with a car that breathes fresh life into a stagnant industry.

Kudos to them.
        1988 CRX
        1999 Integra Type R
        2020 Civic Type R

Comment

lol, you sure your not seeing a lot of FK's and not FN2R's?
          yea im sure lol

Comment

All the hype on the 86 is overrated..its gonna become SO common, the 86.
            The RRP price for the 86 is so misleading as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Leekie View Post
              All the hype on the 86 is overrated..its gonna become SO common, the 86.
              The RRP price for the 86 is so misleading as well...
              You say common like it's a bad thing. Common = success for a car company. Common means it's going to be an popular enthusiasts' car, more than the ITRs sadly.

Toyota/Subaru have done what Mazda did with the MX5 but made it more affordable.

Which now begs the question: Why isn't the current CTR "common"?

Tink: I agree on the styling, but modern trends/safety requirements are ruining the look of most new cars anyway.

Not planning on ditching my DC2, but if I was looking for a brand new, fun package with a cost-effective tag on it, this would be it.
              1988 CRX
              1999 Integra Type R
              2020 Civic Type R

Comment

mate, i even hate new Honda styling, so i am screwed i guess?

cost-effective tag
                i don't think 'new car' and 'cost-effective' really go together?

but yeah, if it HAD to be new, i guess it is 'value' for money...
                Last edited by tinkerbell; 03-07-12, 11:39 AM.
                ... retired/

Comment

it is 35 grand drive-away

86 GTRRP
                  $29,990**
                  Full Driveaway
                  $34,190.08**
                  Manual
                  Pegasus White
                  Private registration
                  HAYMARKET, 2000, NSW
                  http://www.toyota.com.au/86/prices?p...egType=PRIVATE

EDIT:

whoops - $34K if you get red

86 GTRRP
                  $29,990**
                  Full Driveaway
                  $33,778.07**
                  Manual
                  Mount Fuji Red
                  Private registration
                  HAYMARKET, 2000, NSW
                  ... retired/

Comment

Originally posted by Setanta View Post
                    You say common like it's a bad thing. Common = success for a car company. Common means it's going to be an popular enthusiasts' car, more than the ITRs sadly.

Toyota/Subaru have done what Mazda did with the MX5 but made it more affordable.

Which now begs the question: Why isn't the current CTR "common"?

Tink: I agree on the styling, but modern trends/safety requirements are ruining the look of most new cars anyway.

Not planning on ditching my DC2, but if I was looking for a brand new, fun package with a cost-effective tag on it, this would be it.
                    well it depends on what kind of personality you have

i like exclusivity. there are many cars i like so when it comes to choosing between them i'll use its rareness as a deciding factor.

simplest way is to go for jdm only imports.
                    Last edited by fr4n; 03-07-12, 01:00 PM.

Comment

So has anyone here bought a GT86/BRZ yet?

*looks at Andrew*
                      ClubITR | Like

Comment

haha put a deposit down a month ago. In my eyes, the dc5 was a great car and i've had it for a long time. i've achieved all the goals ive set for it and just felt its time for something different. getting tired of the stiff ride and forever tuning the suspension to get what i want out of it.

Originally wanted an ap2 s2k which I think are great cars, but for the asking price of a 2nd hand one, just wasn't appealing as a brand new 86 that offers similar handling performance. Granted s2k has more power but its not on my list of priorities. 86 gave me what i wanted, solid performance out of the box with warranty. I don't care if 10 guys on my street drive the same car, its about what i do with it and how i enjoy the car.
                        eckoflyte

Comment

Granted the car has received a lot of hype and I don't think u should buy into it. But instead instead of putting it down giving reasons as to why it ISN'T a viable car to own, do some research or even test drive one before you pass judgment. that's how it was for me.

It really depends what you're after. Some guys prefer stance over performance, some vintage over new, power over handling, vice versa or even a bit of everything. I wanted an economical, non fuel guzzling car in an affordable price bracket that is fun to chuck around corners and the 86 delivers, thats the target market. having said that, apart from looks and price, low center of gravity + 53:47 weight distribution equals a hellava lot of fun in my book. Wheels mag June 2012 did a 0-100 in 6.8sec real world test, thats equivalent to your stock DC5R and DC2R so why are integra owners here complaining about its power?

Originally posted by cartoon View Post
                          40k buys u some good 2nd hand cars that won't drop in price so quickly as a car that will be everywhere.

Fk 40k almost gets u a nsx
                          I would love an NSX, but they are all automatic transmissions here in Australia and by the time you could get around to importing a manual one, can you still get it just for over 40k?

yay - just what we need - more car companies joining alliances to create identically styled cars that might enable them to to beat the next financial crisis!!!

not!
                          Can't deny Toyota and Subaru joined forces to cost cut. They're even pumping them all out of one factory. But having read up on the engineering philosophy behind the 86, my theory is only Subaru had the R&D to delivery an engine that could sit low and far back enough to serve Toyota's purpose and it had to be a boxer configuration. Toyota could've done it themselves but who knows how many years before they could pull it off. Its just profitable synergistic business.
                          eckoflyte

Comment

Working...
                          X