DC5 ESMM Inserts DIY Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC5 ESMM Inserts DIY Install

Below is the chargeRâ„¢ method of installing ESMM inserts in any DC5 without lowering the subframe. Lowering the subframe is not a good idea as it will mess up your wheel alignment which will then cost money to have fixed. It seems foolish to spend $100 on an alignment after installing a 50 dollar part. I take no responsibility for any misadventures that may befall you if you attempt this DIY, please use your own discretion and only attempt the DIY if you have adequate mechanical knowledge. Thanks to daz for the pictures and supplying his car for the install. If you have any questions or if any parts of the DIY are unclear then post up!

Items required:
    Jack
    Jack stands x 2
    Socket set (including 12mm, 14mm and 17mm sockets and a variety of extensions)
    17mm Spanner
    Torque wrench

Items that are helpful:
    Silicon spray
    Ratcheting spanners

1. Jack up the car and place the front on stands. Get the car as high as possible to make life a bit easier. Refer to Figure 1 below for what the car should look like after this step .

Figure 1: Jar jacked up and appropriately supported.

2. Support the bottom of the engine with the jack with something compliant on top to prevent damage to the sump. I used my trusty Melways as shown in Figure 2.

Figure 2: Engine supported with jack.

3. Beginning with the front mount (Shown in Figure 3) loosen the 3 bolts holding the mount to the block and the one large bolt that goes through the mount. A 17mm ring spanner is best for this as area is quite confined. Remove the bolts. Also unclip the wiring harness that clips on just above the mount. Now the mount must be wiggled free of its place, this step can be a little difficult but the mount will come out with a bit of persuasion. Once you have the mount out you should be left with bits looking like Figure 4.

Figure 3: The front engine mount.

Figure 4: The front engine mount and associated hardware after removal.

4. Push the inserts into the sides of the mount. This may require some lubrication, I used silicone spray as it shouldn't damage the rubber of the mount. The mount with inserts is shown in Figure 5. The mount can now be reinstalled in the reverse of removal, coating the outside of the mount with lubricant will make the process a lot easier. The torque setting for the main through bolt is 64Nm. The other 3 I have no idea on and it is pretty difficult to get a torque wrench in there anyway so just do them up tight. The manual also advises you to replace the main bolt that goes through the mount but I never have in the multiple times I have removed and installed engine mounts. The installed mount is shown in Figure 6.

Figure 5: Inserts installed.

Figure 6: Front mount installed with ESMM. Also shown here is the wiring harness that needs to be unclipped to remove the mount.

5. Next is the rear mount. I moved the jack such that it supported the rear of the engine more fully. Remove the two spring bolts that hold the cat/downpipe section of the exhaust manifold on using a 12mm socket and a long extension. The mount and the disconnected cat/downpipe are shown in Figure 7. This is to give more maneuvering room around the mount. Loosen the main through bolt on the mount (17mm socket) and the three smaller bolts fixing the mount to the subframe (14mm socket). Remove the bolts and the mount. The mount is shown in Figure 8. Stuff the inserts in the side of the mount as shown in Figure 9. Install the mount in reverse order of removal and reconnect the cat/downpipe. The three smaller bolts should be torqued to 59Nm, the spring bolts on the exhaust to 22Nm, and the large through bolt to 64Nm. No pictures of the mount installed, so you will have to use your imagination.

Figure 7: The disconnected cat/downpipe and the rear engine mount indicated by the red arrow.

Figure 8: Rear mount and hardware.

Figure 9: Rear mount with ESMM inserts installed.

6. Lower the car off the stands and you are done.

Awesome write up.

I'll give my opinion of the mounts, as I have had them in my car for almost a year.

Initial thoughts of the mounts were:
    - At idle there was quite a bit of rattling. The steering wheel would move about 2-3cm, but once driving was not present.
    - Gear shifting at low and high revs felt more direct, especially going into 2nd (no crunch in DC5R)
    - No axle tramp at all on aggressive launches

The mounts "soften" up as time goes on, and after a month or so, there is still slight movement in the steering wheel, but only by a few mm.

Overall, I would have to say this was the best "Bang-for-Buck" mod I have done to the car. It fixes what I see as a major flaw with the car (2nd gear crunch), and also eliminates axle tramp.

A highly recommended mod.

Comment

Thanks for the write up, very well written. Now i know I'm out of my depth here.
      The front one seems really easy to do, but the back one seems too much effort.

Comment

u the man! guessing with mounts its exact same!

Comment

great stuff guys!
          sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Where in Melbourne might I pick up a set of these? I just got my EP3 (they should be the same for the EP3 right?) and I believe I've got a broken engine mount (grinding noise when accelerating in a gear for a split second, sometimes gears dont go in, or can pop out at a very light touch, sometimes they grind even with clutch fully depressed)

This was in my list of planned upgrades but it looks like I'll have to move it up a bit!

Comment

Sorry, didn't see the other thread!

Comment

Great write up Tom
                Seem all so familiar to me....lol

This is a must have mod.

Hey Darren,
                How are you liking them?

Comment

Nice write up dude. Thanks for installing them

Originally posted by maracer View Post
                  Hey Darren,
                  How are you liking them?
                  They have settled in nicely. Vibrations have died down a little and started to get used to them.
                  One of the first things I noticed was smoother gear changes after the install. Haven't tried launching it yet Overall very happy with this product.
                  Vivid Blue Integra Type-S
                  "When I grow up I want camber like TeamMR."
                  sigpic
                  itr_***@hotmail.com says: (10:43:08 PM)
                  send that cock breath back to the land of the stuffed turkeys

Comment

got my inserts fitted on Friday. the extra virbration etc wasn't too bad but my car is very loud inside now.

i had Spoon street muffler and kakimoto mid pipe fitted a week b4 the inserts and they were very quiet. now it's very noisy inside (outside sound level is the same b4 inserts) and is giving me headache. it was really bad at around 5000rpm but once pass that then it's soften slightly all the way to redline.

do you guys have the same thing? or its my car only or i'm too soft.... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Philip Lee View Post
                      got my inserts fitted on Friday. the extra virbration etc wasn't too bad but my car is very loud inside now.

i had Spoon street muffler and kakimoto mid pipe fitted a week b4 the inserts and they were very quiet. now it's very noisy inside (outside sound level is the same b4 inserts) and is giving me headache. it was really bad at around 5000rpm but once pass that then it's soften slightly all the way to redline.

do you guys have the same thing? or its my car only or i'm too soft.... lol
                      I had the same experience. My car got significantly louder once I installed ESMM inserts, and then the loudness increased a significant amount over that once I installed Innovative 85a mounts. I think it is an unavoidable consequence of stiffer mounts. The higher level of vibrations transferred through to the chassis and the interior make the whole car act as a sounding board.

Comment

thanks ChargeR. it's good to know its normal. i guess i'd just live with it. the car is too sweet to go back to stock mounts.

Comment

hi guys, got these installed today using the very helpful guide. thanks!

impressions so far... vibrations galore, and very loud. but on the whole, the 2nd gear crunch problem is gone and the engine feels a bit more solid. found that the front mount was torn, may have to get that replaced one day.

question for you guys who've had it for a while... do the inserts eventually get worn in and settle? i.e. do the vibrations eventually subside?

Comment

Originally posted by doavl View Post

question for you guys who've had it for a while... do the inserts eventually get worn in and settle? i.e. do the vibrations eventually subside?
                            Glad the DIY was helpful . I found that the vibrations did subside after a couple of weeks, but it might have just been me getting used to it .

Comment

cool.

having a bit of problems now though, seems like the engine movements have... increased

i have a suspicion that it's because the front mount was torn, the inserts probably couldn't help much there. shit.

anyone got any idea on how much an OEM engine mount costs?

Comment

Working...
                              X