No announcement yet.

♦ ♦ ChargeR's DC5R Blog ♦ ♦

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pictures are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooawesomeeeeeee eeeeeee!

Comment

Great work Tom

LOL at the neg camber on the two helmets in the second pic

Comment

Guy, do you know if there's any way for me to check the times for every lap in every session?
        I know Wakefield provides something similar to your session/lap break down...
        Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Comment

Originally posted by Q_ball View Post
          Guy, do you know if there's any way for me to check the times for every lap in every session?
          I know Wakefield provides something similar to your session/lap break down...
          Can't you just check ind. lap on natsoft (http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...23/05/2009.WIN, Q?
          CARSFORHOPE

Comment

Oh... how did you find that link? damn... thanks Richie!
            Tom says: "Now remember kids, offsets are like women... they are best in their teens."

Comment

npz Q, secret haha
              CARSFORHOPE

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                The next session I lowered the pressures further and went out with mugsee riding shotgun in the hopes of him giving me some useful insight. He told me my driving was inconsistent. Oh well.
                I said your driving line was inconsistent, but thats not necessarily a bad thing if you were conscientiously experimenting whilst avoiding the rocks. Stop playing for sympathy.

Here are my thoughts:
                - second turn could be delayed by a fraction so that you exit line is not as sharp which will let you power out earlier. However, I'm not sure if this will be 100% relevant to you as you may not be able to put power down due to bumpiness/not enough power to pull through. Worth experimenting with if you already haven't.
                - I think your your valuable speed due to traction issues around the track because of your inability to control your dampers and put power to ground. Standing at the start/finish line, I could hear you continually bouncing all over the place. Go start turning some dials!
                - big wang is required. Its BMI and Shaun proven that a big wang = 2 seconds.
                - your car has sickening (literally) corner speed. I didn't feel too great coming out of your car after the passenger lap.
                - were you at your braking limit? Your tyres seemed to take the punishment quite well especially since you say you weren't able to engage ABS.

How confident are you with the limits of the tyres? Do you think you know their limits or is it still a learning exercise?

Once again congratulations on the PBs and thanks for the passenger laps. It was like my car, but faster...

Here are some pics I managed to take of your car:

Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

WOW fat front tyres. Congrats on the Pb.

Was talking to the eligible officer for NSW supersprints and these arnt classfied as a road tyre. These will fall into the class of slicks.
                  BYP Racing & Developments
                  Built. Tuned. Driven
                  Want to go fast? Come see us! e: jimmy@bypracing.com ph: (02) 9757 4757

Comment

congrats on the PB! i like your setup, including the oil sump setup which alot of people overlooked at modding. Good to see it works so well on the track.
                    you certainly give me some ideas what car i should get next...

just a note: sounds like you have taken the brake setup to its limits? considering abs did not get activated...
                    Last edited by koldfire; 28-05-09, 10:07 AM.
                    www.exe-crew.com

Comment

Originally posted by Didz View Post
                      Nice writeup guy, Really glad to see u break the 39's I told you u could do it!

LOL I somewhat wish i asked more people to school me too! But i believe your wisdom helped me crack a second off my fresh pb from the first session.

Looking forward to see you get even faster guy.
                      Thanks mate. There is definitely more speed to be found for both of us .

Originally posted by zeth_an View Post
                      Congrats on the PB Tom. 1.39xx is indeed impressive

Turn 5 is indeed a tricky one for me personally
                      Thanks Eric. I find it a difficult corner because it is so long it is easy to get out of position and completely screw it up.

Originally posted by Importtuner View Post
                      pictures are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooawesomeeeeeee eeeeeee!
                      Yeah I love Matt Mead's work too!

Originally posted by 05dc5S View Post
                      Great work Tom

LOL at the neg camber on the two helmets in the second pic
                      Thanks Kieran. I think mugsee got scared in my car, serves him right for all the scares I have had in his car .

Originally posted by Q_ball View Post
                      Oh... how did you find that link? damn... thanks Richie!
                      Glad you were able to find the answers you sought Q.

Originally posted by mugsee View Post
                      I said your driving line was inconsistent, but thats not necessarily a bad thing if you were conscientiously experimenting whilst avoiding the rocks. Stop playing for sympathy.

Here are my thoughts:
                      - second turn could be delayed by a fraction so that you exit line is not as sharp which will let you power out earlier. However, I'm not sure if this will be 100% relevant to you as you may not be able to put power down due to bumpiness/not enough power to pull through. Worth experimenting with if you already haven't.
                      - I think your your valuable speed due to traction issues around the track because of your inability to control your dampers and put power to ground. Standing at the start/finish line, I could hear you continually bouncing all over the place. Go start turning some dials!
                      - big wang is required. Its BMI and Shaun proven that a big wang = 2 seconds.
                      - your car has sickening (literally) corner speed. I didn't feel too great coming out of your car after the passenger lap.
                      - were you at your braking limit? Your tyres seemed to take the punishment quite well especially since you say you weren't able to engage ABS.

How confident are you with the limits of the tyres? Do you think you know their limits or is it still a learning exercise?

Once again congratulations on the PBs and thanks for the passenger laps. It was like my car, but faster...

Here are some pics I managed to take of your car:

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/_MG_2734.jpg
                      http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m..._MG_2761-1.jpg
                      Thanks for the good comments and pics Mugsee. I think you are quite right on a number of counts whereas some are a little ways off .
                      • I agree that I could turn in a little later for turn 2 (I assume you mean old turn 2? Turn 4 on the map in my last post.). A little more speed along that short straight would be more significant than the slightly slower speed entering the corner. It is hard to say conclusively though because my car doesn't accelerate all that well and the larger front tyre diameter has only made it worse.

• You are spot on that I need more compliance for the bumpy exits of some of the slower speed turns. There is a decent fraction of a second here I am sure.

• I don't believe I need a wing however. My car doesn't have an issue with high speed oversteer so why would I try to obtain more rear grip at high speed?

• I don't think I fully explored the limits of the tyres under braking. Braking into the S was good but other areas need a little work. I think the higher amount of pedal effort required to pull up the car on the new tyres has confused me a little.

I think I generally have a good idea of the limits of the tyre, it isn't hard to find the limits of a tyre just slide it around a bit. I do however think there is a lot more time to be found in more carefully using the grip of the tyres and in finding a better line. I might try a different track next though .

Originally posted by fatboyz39 View Post
                      WOW fat front tyres. Congrats on the Pb.

Was talking to the eligible officer for NSW supersprints and these arnt classfied as a road tyre. These will fall into the class of slicks.
                      Thanks! That is what I understood from reading the SS regulations also. Oh well .

Originally posted by koldfire View Post
                      congrats on the PB! i like your setup, including the oil sump setup which alot of people overlooked at modding. Good to see it works so well on the track.
                      you certainly give me some ideas what car i should get next...

just a note: sounds like you have taken the brake setup to its limits? considering abs did not get activated...
                      Thanks guy . On the subject of the brake setup I think that the ABS not engaging is more a reflection on my braking style rather than the brakes themselves. With the larger diameter and stickier tyres I should be able to stomp on the pedal pretty hard and I think that I wasn't stomping as hard as I could have.

Comment

Thanks Kieran. I think mugsee got scared in my car, serves him right for all the scares I have had in his car .
                        I was scared that you were gonna put us into a wall. The grip levels on that this is pretty frightening

Pity its so slow in a straight line

I don't believe I need a wing however. My car doesn't have an issue with high speed oversteer so why would I try to obtain more rear grip at high speed?

Official ClubITR Sponsor: www.autosphere.com.au - For all your maintenance, oils and track needs.

Comment

Damn. I think the reason I didn't pick up on the sarcasm guy is that sometimes you say the most insane things and you seem to think they are reasonable. I wasn't sure whether the wing comment was one of those situations .

Love that last pic, it really shows how hilarious my front wheels/tyres look .

Comment

Nice blog man and car!

Comment

Update: Symmons Plains Sprints - 19th of July

As some of you possibly know I have returned to my home state of Tasmania for a little while so I thought I would try out my local racetrack, Symmons Plains. Symmons Plains is a 2.4km circuit featuring a long back straight with a kink and a very tight hairpin at one end. I found it to be a fairly interesting circuit with turns 1 and 2 being particularly challenging. It looks like this:

The event was a sprint run by the Light Car Club of Tasmania and each session was run from a standing start in groups of four followed by 3 or so timed flying laps with the best lap being counted toward the results. Cars were classed according to engine type so I was one of the select few in the NA 4 cylinder class.

Previous to this I had reinstalled my OEM dampers and springs, to suit the bumpy Tasmanian roads, and I was using my stock wheels with Bridgestone RE001s. My current alignment settings were:

F Camber: -1.2
                              F Toe: 0
                              R Camber: -0.7
                              R Toe: 0

Here are some of my times for the day:

1:20.19
                              1:12.01
                              1:12.15
                              1:18.38
                              1:20.92
                              1:10.55
                              1:11.27
                              1:18.52
                              1:12.28
                              1:13.83
                              1:18.89
                              1:11.70
                              1:10.98
                              1:10.96
                              1:09.67

I set my best lap on the last lap of the day and I think I was the fastest car in my class, but that was no great feat as I believe there were only 3 other cars competing against me . No prizes but I got the respect. To some people that's more important.

No pics sorry I couldn't find my camera.
                              Last edited by ChargeR; 20-07-09, 11:35 PM. Reason: Got the date wrong :p

Comment

Thats an epic straight guy, what speeds did u hit along it?
                                sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

Working...
                                X