Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks pretty hardcore. I'm not really happy with my rim + tyre set up for Sunday, so you guys will probably be running rings around me.

Comment

i did mention to you before that you should have used the 110mm shorter springs right?..... would have given you 110mm lower car without lowering the perch all the way to the bottom =P...
      Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
      some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
      Originally posted by tinkerbell
      if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
      A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
      Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

Originally posted by Wlee2 View Post
        i did mention to you before that you should have used the 110mm shorter springs right?..... would have given you 110mm lower car without lowering the perch all the way to the bottom =P...
        I asked them and they were like "no that is too low" Oh well. Ill use my Swifts sometime in the future.
        sigpicCurrent holder of the Win folder.

Comment

23rd May EXE/CC Track Day!

Another perfectly organised track day with awesome people!

Entering this track day a little nervous would be a bit of an understatement. I was fairly confident that the car would behave a little 'nicer' with the changes that were made to it since a year ago.

What has changed:

ESMM Engine mount inserts
          Exedy organic sports/racing clutch
          Exedy Lightweight flywheel (4.1kg)
          OEM JDM stainless 4-2-1 header with special cat.
          DMS Coilover suspension 10kg front, 12kg rear.
          SSR Type C 17x8.5 +30 Rims with 245/45 RE01R rubber.

Previous best time 1:47.000 with a stock car with the exception of a cold air intake, camber bolts and wider 225 KU36 Street rubber.

Session 1: 2:12.6090 2:01.2870 1:58.0100 1:54.1300 1:57.1850

Easing myself into the track and getting back into the feel of it.

Session 2: 1:59.5540 1:52.2190 1:50.5330 1:49.4450 1:48.8810 1:48.4740

This turned out to be my best session of the day. I put it down to an unnerving feeling when entering the sweeper. Every other turn on the track felt noticeably better and after the session i noticed that i hadnt been pushing the tyres as they werent screeching much and the rubber wasnt worn enough

Session 4: 1:56.7800 1:54.3360 1:50.8370 1:52.3650 2:12.4800 1:51.6740
          I took my mate Jason out as it was his first time at winton and he was only managing the mid 50's at the time. Another perspective is always good

Session 5: 2:23.3590 2:01.0910 1:52.5160 1:51.5020 1:56.1310
          I had a lot of traffic in this session and kept making silly mistakes.

I didnt bother going out for the last session as i felt that the day just wasnt my day for PB's. In future i plan on using Racechrono and filming my laps to get a better understanding on where i can improve.
          A little disappointed that i couldnt match my stock time but at the time time, pleased that my car was in one piece at the end of the day A cautious approach will get me back there eventually!

Cant wait for the next track day and in the future i am currently looking into different tracks where i dont have the fear of menacing s bends.

Upon driving home i noticed that the car was not idling correctly; it just goes from 1k to 2k rpm constantly. It also feels down on power. I think this is linked to the TB and intake system. On the weekend i will dismantle it and clean it out + check on the air filter. It seems that if i rev the motor while idling at the lights, the idling returns to normal.

here are some pics (thank you to all photographers!)

Last edited by Didz; 01-06-10, 07:38 PM.

Comment

So thoughts on the Suspension
            After purchasing coilover suspension and giving it a real test on the track, i have discovered that the stock suspension is actually not that bad!
            I have also noticed that my car feels like it turns better under acceleration. To me, this means that I am either: Not going fast enough entering corners, using the wrong driving lines OR a combination of the two. Probably the latter :P
            The 245 tyres definitely felt stronger on the grip side and i felt a lot more confident. This could also have been due to the coilovers. I dont feel that i pushed the car hard enough as i didnt spin out. not even once on the little hair pins. I didnt even feel as if the car was going to slide. I think the track day was very much a testing ground. Proving to me that the times are more to do with the driver than anything else. With my mods a prosauce like Charger or Mugsee, would manage a 1:44 without an issue. Slowly but steadily, i plan on chipping away.

Overall the car felt a lot more stable. I dont think i will venture into more mods for a little while. If i do it will most likely be something along the lines of new upper mounts which enable extra caster. That or a Kpro.
            Last edited by Didz; 01-06-10, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Good work on getting back out there guy! It shows character. If you want my advice though, and who doesn't, I think you have enough modifications. Probably best to concentrate on easing back into the track thing if that is your goal and given the large sums of money your car has probably cost you recently seems prudent to have a bit of a money buffer.

Those tyres are huge by the way .

Comment

have to say,
                I enjoy reading your blog mate.
                Like the choice of rims now car looks great.
                Also on the subject of lap times………just need more lap practice and the times will come down

Comment

ahh good to hear it went ok..

you still have to play with the sussy settings as well ^_^..

good outcome either way you wernt that far off your pb =P..
                  Memorable quotes

Originally posted by Q_ball
                  some say, his vtec was switched off on his last 4 outings at wakefield....

and that his foot comprises of only a heal and a toe...

all we know is hes called The Perry!!
                  Originally posted by tinkerbell
                  if those HA's are 7k old - i will eat my own arsehole...
                  A wise man once said "Tok like Gay better than been like gay"

Originally posted by Wayne
                  Never again complain about a honda's reliability just be glad you dont own an Alfa

Comment

Originally posted by ChargeR View Post
                    Good work on getting back out there guy! It shows character. If you want my advice though, and who doesn't, I think you have enough modifications. Probably best to concentrate on easing back into the track thing if that is your goal and given the large sums of money your car has probably cost you recently seems prudent to have a bit of a money buffer.

Those tyres are huge by the way .
                    Thanks guy. Yeah i dont really plan on any mods. It really has cost me some coin this last 12 months haha. I plan on bettering myself first before anything else now.
                    Originally posted by maracer View Post
                    have to say,
                    I enjoy reading your blog mate.
                    Like the choice of rims now car looks great.
                    Also on the subject of lap times………just need more lap practice and the times will come down
                    Cheers man. Yeah i really like the wheels as well :P Makes the car look so much better :P
                    Originally posted by Wlee2 View Post
                    ahh good to hear it went ok..

you still have to play with the sussy settings as well ^_^..

good outcome either way you wernt that far off your pb =P..
                    Cheers dude. Yeah there are plenty of options for playing around. Yeah i know i wasnt that far off and i know there is quite a lot of space for improvement in the future.

Comment

Spotted you just now Railway road. Unless there's another blue Dc5 with gold rg's front and white rear.

Comment

Originally posted by M@lew View Post
                        Spotted you just now Railway road. Unless there's another blue Dc5 with gold rg's front and white rear.
                        They are Type Cs not RGs. SSR > Advan .

Comment

Yeah that's what I meant. haha. I was looking at RG's before hand so must've still been on my mind.

Comment

Haha. Spying me at work :P

Comment

Dyno Day RE Customs

First time i've ever been to a dyno! So I was not 100% sure what i should expect. I had an idea that if i got to 120~ I would be happy.

Just a quick run down of power train mods

Injen CAI
                              EXEDY Race Lightended fly
                              EXEDY Race organic clutch
                              JDM 4-2-1 exhaust manifold
                              Stock cat back with Mugen twinloop Axle-back

I can safely say that i have walked away with a smile on my face.

Last edited by Didz; 10-07-10, 07:52 PM.

Comment

More power than my car . Does it feel better now you know the number?

Comment

Working...
                                X